Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-26-2010, 08:00 AM   #1
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
e-Reader Acer Lumiread presented at IFA

http://www.slashgear.com/acer-lumire...mored-2699041/

Intended for European market it seems, it includes a scanner for IBSN.
It doesn't look bad, but at 250 € it seems too expensive. Had amazon a wide catalog of books in French, German, Spanish, I think those kind of devices which has not much more to offer than a Kindle would not even see the light of day.
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
Bateman
I simply am not there.
Bateman once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bateman once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bateman once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bateman once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bateman once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bateman once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bateman once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bateman once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bateman once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bateman once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bateman once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: BCO v.2 black
Oh, that's one ugly piece of hardware. 1988 called. It wants it's design back.
Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
I saw it at SID and was underwhelmed. Just look how the girl in the video is holding it and how far away from her hand the page turn buttons are.

But Im intrigued by the scanner. Just having the ability to go into a big chain bookstore and scan an isbn to help me find the ebook online from a different vendor stokes my inner rebel
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:47 AM   #4
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
That thing is huge! So much wasted space above the keyboard.
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
Mitchi
C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER
Mitchi will become famous soon enoughMitchi will become famous soon enoughMitchi will become famous soon enoughMitchi will become famous soon enoughMitchi will become famous soon enoughMitchi will become famous soon enough

Device: Jetbook Lite, Droid Eris
Oh wow that looks awkward. WTH Acer, seriously.
Mitchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
They don't have a chance. Acer and Samsung... they both made a real mess!
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:41 PM   #7
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
But Im intrigued by the scanner. Just having the ability to go into a big chain bookstore and scan an isbn to help me find the ebook online from a different vendor stokes my inner rebel
I would love this...

ebook readers tied to ebook stores (Nook, Kindle, Kobo, etc..) could offer their customer a real buying convenience by adding this feature.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:27 AM   #8
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
A) It is ugly
B) Acer is loosing an opportunity. If they had put it at sub 200 euro, they would have put pressure on other manufacturers. Ah well. My Sony works, I am in no hurry.
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:33 AM   #9
Druid_Elf
Zealot
Druid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enough

Device: none
OMG
What were they thinking after the prototype ?
This is trying to mimic the kindle but then in the worst case possible.
Everybody is hoping for slim design, most of us touchscreen and then they make this

Well guess the reader will dissapear after a few months because I'll doubt that many people will buy this

Acer this is definately
Druid_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:56 AM   #10
dorischow
dorischow began at the beginning.

Device: none
What were they thinking after the prototype ?
This is trying to mimic the kindle but then in the worst case possible.
Everybody is hoping for slim design, most of us touchscreen and then they make this

Well guess the reader will dissapear after a few months because I'll doubt that many people will buy this

Acer this is definately
dorischow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:02 PM   #11
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Aside from the thing looking awkward and oversized for the screen, I wouldn't buy another Acer product if you gave it to me. I've had two Aspire Ones completely crap out on me (one 14 months after purchase and one two months after purchase; even though the second was under warranty, I opted to get a--hopefully--more reliable Asus) and a desktop go down and require repairs. The Acer keyboard and mouse that came with my desktop were both immediately replaced with my old ones because they were so bad. Five out of five is not a good average.

What was with that video? A showcase for the woman? And I could barely hear her over the blasted piano.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote