Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-20-2012, 05:32 AM   #1
Matthew Bostock
Matthew Bostock is a rising star in the heavensMatthew Bostock is a rising star in the heavensMatthew Bostock is a rising star in the heavensMatthew Bostock is a rising star in the heavensMatthew Bostock is a rising star in the heavensMatthew Bostock is a rising star in the heavensMatthew Bostock is a rising star in the heavensMatthew Bostock is a rising star in the heavensMatthew Bostock is a rising star in the heavensMatthew Bostock is a rising star in the heavensMatthew Bostock is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad
Social reading?

Hey there.
First post, woop! Happy to be a member of the community here

So I work for a tech company in Berlin called [deleted]. You can find us here: [deleted]. We're focussing on making reading social and shareable. What's your opinion on such a thing?

Andrew Keen recently said that 'social reading' signifies the end of the world, as we can't enjoy the solidarity that comes with it anymore. However, I view it as a fresh take on reading.

For more context on how 'social' is incorporated, take a look at [deleted].
Thoughts?

Last edited by HarryT; 06-20-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Matthew Bostock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:14 AM   #2
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I am definitely not social, nor do I want to be, when I read. To me that would seem just like going to the movies and having people talking all around you.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2012, 06:17 AM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Reading is specifically an individual pursuit. Literature discussion groups are social, (such as this website). I abhor "social media" such as facebook, google+ etc.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:18 AM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I am definitely not social, nor do I want to be, when I read. To me that would seem just like going to the movies and having people talking all around you.
Apache
Agreed.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:07 AM   #5
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Reading is specifically an individual pursuit. Literature discussion groups are social, (such as this website). I abhor "social media" such as facebook, google+ etc.
ALways welcome to see another person not drinking the Social Networking Kool Aid.... There is life beyond it...

M...
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2012, 07:17 AM   #6
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
We don't need no social media, we've got books
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:14 AM   #7
Matthew Bostock
Matthew Bostock is a rising star in the heavensMatthew Bostock is a rising star in the heavensMatthew Bostock is a rising star in the heavensMatthew Bostock is a rising star in the heavensMatthew Bostock is a rising star in the heavensMatthew Bostock is a rising star in the heavensMatthew Bostock is a rising star in the heavensMatthew Bostock is a rising star in the heavensMatthew Bostock is a rising star in the heavensMatthew Bostock is a rising star in the heavensMatthew Bostock is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad
I see where you guys are coming from, but don't you think there's some room for the web and social media to come into play?

When you're reading, granted, you don't want any social. At [deleted] we don't do that. It's just text on a page, as you'd envisage. But when you choose to highlight something, sharing springs into life.

For example, if I'm following someone and what they read, when they make highlights in a book, they are giving me an insight into it way deeper than the cover and summary could ever do. Therefore, exploiting the 'social' is good for book discovery.

Last edited by HarryT; 06-20-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Matthew Bostock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:21 AM   #8
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Bostock View Post
Hey there.

So I work for a tech company in Berlin called [deleted]. You can find us here: [deleted]. We're focussing on making reading social and shareable. What's your opinion on such a thing?

Andrew Keen recently said that 'social reading' signifies the end of the world, as we can't enjoy the solidarity that comes with it anymore. However, I view it as a fresh take on reading.

Thoughts?
Not a bad direction. If you're into the whole social networking thing (I'm not), I can see value in this. Notes in margins are curious things. When I find them in a second-hand book, they're usually cryptic--esoteric thoughts of the previous reader--but fun to try to decipher. They're distracting, but unless they pollute the whole book, they're not unwelcome.

I give this an official for novel invention.

Last edited by HarryT; 06-20-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:49 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I find that Social Networking is usually neither... just like Moral Majority.

I guess Social Reading isn't a bad idea, per se... it's just something that wouldn't interest me at all. I already turn off the what-are-other-people-highlighting? "feature" of my Kindle. I'm interested in what other people think about the book I'm reading... I'm just not interested in their input while I'm reading it. It's distracting.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-20-2012 at 08:56 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:01 AM   #10
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Well, Kobo seems to be doing well with their social reading network, although I don't use it. And Amazon has their shared highlight feature, if someone turns it on, although that doesn't add to discoverability but is only if you also own the book.

Doesn't GoodReads have the ability to posts the cover and title of a book you're reading on FaceBook? (I don't use GoodReads, either)

I'm sure there's a place for a social reading network, but MR here is just about as social as I'm interested in getting.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #11
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I'm another one who just doesn't get the social media thing. What's the point?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #12
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I like Goodreads to share what I'm reading. They have discussions on the books, but I find them to be fairly vapid. I would think that social media for books would be fine for bookclubs, but I can't think of any other useful purpose.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #13
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I use Facebook, I use it to keep up with friends (actual friends that is, people I actually know and associate with) and I use it to point me to interesting articles. I use Goodreads, sometimes there are good discussions there, but other times it is pretty vapid. But actual reading of books, that's solitary. I don't read what my friends read.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #14
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Bostock View Post
Hey there.

Thoughts?

Welcome to the MobileRead. Interesting topic. I'd have to agree with what Andrew Keen said (understanding that it is an exaggeration).

I'm not into social media, but even if I ever drink that Koolaid, I'd never let it invade my reading space. Reading is very much an individual experience for me.

Last edited by HarryT; 06-20-2012 at 10:36 AM.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #15
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I know some people that like to social read. But I'm not one of them. I'm a member of 2 book clubs but neither is online. We just discuss a book but don't necessarily highlight pages & draw attention to those passages.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote