Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-26-2020, 04:04 PM   #1
idab420
Banned
idab420 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 24
Karma: 10
Join Date: Mar 2020
Device: PW3
Motherboard swap a pw3

I bricked my pw3. Can I buy a pw3 with a cracked screen and swap the motherboard or will I run into any firmware issues?
idab420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:43 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
JSWolf's Avatar
 
Posts: 56,026
Karma: 51660526
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by idab420 View Post
I bricked my pw3. Can I buy a pw3 with a cracked screen and swap the motherboard or will I run into any firmware issues?
If you swap motherboards, you will then have a different Kindle. If it's blacklisted, your screwed as none of your DRMed eBooks will work. So you would not be able to download from Amazon directly. It is a risk you take. But given that it's a PW3, I would call it a loss and buy a new Kindle. get a PW3. You'll like it much better. I cannot recommend a PW4.

The problem with the PW4 is the flush screen. It causes the layers to be farther away from screen and that makes it less sharp then the PW3.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-26-2020 at 04:45 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2020, 04:45 PM   #3
idab420
Banned
idab420 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 24
Karma: 10
Join Date: Mar 2020
Device: PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you swap motherboards, you will then have a different Kindle. If it's blacklisted, your screwed as none of your DRMed eBooks will work. So you would not be able to download from Amazon directly. It is a risk you take.
Correct. My current paperwhite is blacklisted as well though. I dont mind using KOreader + dropbox to load books.

I found a blacklisted pw3 for $14 but the screen is scratched up. The display I have now would swap in without issue software wise?

I'm just trying to decide between getting a refurbished kindle thats not blacklisted for $50 and leave it unrooted or getting that $14 blacklisted one, rooting it, and swapping in my current display.

Last edited by idab420; 03-26-2020 at 04:48 PM.
idab420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:56 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
JSWolf's Avatar
 
Posts: 56,026
Karma: 51660526
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by idab420 View Post
Correct. My current paperwhite is blacklisted as well though. I dont mind using KOreader + dropbox to load books.

I found a blacklisted pw3 for $14 but the screen is scratched up. The display I have now would swap in without issue software wise?

I'm just trying to decide between getting a refurbished kindle thats not blacklisted for $50 and leave it unrooted or getting that $14 blacklisted one, rooting it, and swapping in my current display.
Go for this one for not much more.

https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Ref.../dp/B083Y68SGF
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:59 PM   #5
idab420
Banned
idab420 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 24
Karma: 10
Join Date: Mar 2020
Device: PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can get the same quality (9/10) manufacturer refurbished kindle pw3 for $49.99 shipped on eBay. They are still sealed in the "Amazon refurbished" box

Or I can get one with a bad screen for $29.99 and swap it

I'm trying to save money here lol

Last edited by idab420; 03-26-2020 at 05:02 PM.
idab420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2020, 05:02 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
JSWolf's Avatar
 
Posts: 56,026
Karma: 51660526
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by idab420 View Post
You can get the same quality (9/10) refurbished kindle pw3 for $49.99 shipped on eBay.

Or I can get one with a bad screen for $29.99 and swap it

I'm trying to save money here lol
Don't get one known to be blacklisted. If the screen is broken, then chances are it's not stolen.

If you buy a working Kindle that;s blacklisted, then it's stolen.

If you can get a refurbished PW3 for $49.99 that's not blacklisted then get that one.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:03 PM   #7
idab420
Banned
idab420 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 24
Karma: 10
Join Date: Mar 2020
Device: PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Don't get one known to be blacklisted. If the screen is broken, then chances are it's not stolen.

If you buy a working Kindle that;s blacklisted, then it's stolen.
I don't care if it's stolen. Most of the time they get blacklisted because people scam Amazon for many of them.

That's why they're so cheap

They're legally being sold on eBay.
idab420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:05 PM   #8
idab420
Banned
idab420 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 24
Karma: 10
Join Date: Mar 2020
Device: PW3
You're not really helping me at all though. I'm just wondering if I can swap a display panel from one pw3 to another lol
idab420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:05 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
JSWolf's Avatar
 
Posts: 56,026
Karma: 51660526
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by idab420 View Post
I don't care if it's stolen. Most of the time they get blacklisted because people scam Amazon for many of them.

That's why they're so cheap

They're legally being sold on eBay.
No, they are not being legally sold. If it's a scam it's not legal and if it's working, it's not legal. In most cases, a working Kindle gets blacklisted because it's lost or stolen and whoever end up with that Kindle is not legally selling it.

It is highly frowned upon on MR when someone buy a blacklisted Kindle keeps it. But knowingly buying one is even worse.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:07 PM   #10
idab420
Banned
idab420 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 24
Karma: 10
Join Date: Mar 2020
Device: PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No, they are not being legally sold. If it's a scam it's not legal and if it's working, it's not legal. In most cases, a working Kindle gets blacklisted because it's lost or stolen and whoever end up with that Kindle is not legally selling it.
In this case, it's a Kindle repair company that bought many blacklisted Kindles on accident.

Do you expect them to just eat the loss? Somebody has to buy them.

They are still legal items to be sold. You're only banned from Amazon services. It doesn't turn into drug paraphernalia lmao.

Deletion.

Last edited by issybird; 03-26-2020 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Violation.
idab420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:11 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
JSWolf's Avatar
 
Posts: 56,026
Karma: 51660526
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by idab420 View Post
In this case, it's a Kindle repair company that bought many blacklisted Kindles on accident.

Do you expect them to just eat the loss? Somebody has to buy them.

They are still legal items to be sold. You're only banned from Amazon services. It doesn't turn into drug paraphernalia lmao
I expect them to try to get their money back and if not, yes I do expect them to take the loss. It's not legal to sell these.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:14 PM   #12
idab420
Banned
idab420 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 24
Karma: 10
Join Date: Mar 2020
Device: PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I expect them to try to get their money back and if not, yes I do expect them to take the loss. It's not legal to sell these.
it is 100% legal to sell them. Please show me the law that says otherwise.

ANYWAYS is buying this for the motherboard a good idea? (this one isn't blacklisted)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazon-Kind...MAAOSwnM1bW8Pt
idab420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:41 PM   #13
idab420
Banned
idab420 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 24
Karma: 10
Join Date: Mar 2020
Device: PW3
ended up buying: https://www.ebay.com/itm/173961759238

and: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-OE...53.m2749.l2649


I'll try to reattach the serial cables to my bricked one eventually. Just lazy.

Last edited by idab420; 03-26-2020 at 05:43 PM.
idab420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:03 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
JSWolf's Avatar
 
Posts: 56,026
Karma: 51660526
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by idab420 View Post
it is 100% legal to sell them. Please show me the law that says otherwise.

ANYWAYS is buying this for the motherboard a good idea? (this one isn't blacklisted)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazon-Kind...MAAOSwnM1bW8Pt
It's illegal because they are stolen goods.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:09 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
JSWolf's Avatar
 
Posts: 56,026
Karma: 51660526
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by idab420 View Post
ended up buying: https://www.ebay.com/itm/173961759238

and: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-OE...53.m2749.l2649


I'll try to reattach the serial cables to my bricked one eventually. Just lazy.
That's a good purchase. Well done.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PW3 PW3-4, PW3-32, fw-5.8.9.0.1 software jailbreak knc1 Kindle Developer's Corner 203 01-27-2020 11:53 PM
Buy Kobo Glo HD motherboard (or broken device with functioning motherboard) JeanOlivier Flea Market 3 07-26-2019 01:48 AM
PW2 Motherboard in PW3 Dominique U Amazon Kindle 1 08-30-2018 12:53 PM
What can I do with my semi-functional PW3 motherboard to help people out? coplate Kindle Developer's Corner 39 05-14-2017 12:34 AM
Which motherboard? Chaky Lounge 7 02-16-2008 05:40 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:53 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.