Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-26-2020, 04:04 PM   #1
idab420
Banned
idab420 began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Motherboard swap a pw3

I bricked my pw3. Can I buy a pw3 with a cracked screen and swap the motherboard or will I run into any firmware issues?
idab420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:43 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by idab420 View Post
I bricked my pw3. Can I buy a pw3 with a cracked screen and swap the motherboard or will I run into any firmware issues?
If you swap motherboards, you will then have a different Kindle. If it's blacklisted, your screwed as none of your DRMed eBooks will work. So you would not be able to download from Amazon directly. It is a risk you take. But given that it's a PW3, I would call it a loss and buy a new Kindle. get a PW3. You'll like it much better. I cannot recommend a PW4.

The problem with the PW4 is the flush screen. It causes the layers to be farther away from screen and that makes it less sharp then the PW3.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-26-2020 at 04:45 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2020, 04:45 PM   #3
idab420
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you swap motherboards, you will then have a different Kindle. If it's blacklisted, your screwed as none of your DRMed eBooks will work. So you would not be able to download from Amazon directly. It is a risk you take.
Correct. My current paperwhite is blacklisted as well though. I dont mind using KOreader + dropbox to load books.

I found a blacklisted pw3 for $14 but the screen is scratched up. The display I have now would swap in without issue software wise?

I'm just trying to decide between getting a refurbished kindle thats not blacklisted for $50 and leave it unrooted or getting that $14 blacklisted one, rooting it, and swapping in my current display.

Last edited by idab420; 03-26-2020 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:56 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Correct. My current paperwhite is blacklisted as well though. I dont mind using KOreader + dropbox to load books.

I found a blacklisted pw3 for $14 but the screen is scratched up. The display I have now would swap in without issue software wise?

I'm just trying to decide between getting a refurbished kindle thats not blacklisted for $50 and leave it unrooted or getting that $14 blacklisted one, rooting it, and swapping in my current display.
Go for this one for not much more.

https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Ref.../dp/B083Y68SGF
Old 03-26-2020, 04:59 PM   #5
idab420
Banned

Quote:
You can get the same quality (9/10) manufacturer refurbished kindle pw3 for $49.99 shipped on eBay. They are still sealed in the "Amazon refurbished" box

Or I can get one with a bad screen for $29.99 and swap it

I'm trying to save money here lol

Last edited by idab420; 03-26-2020 at 05:02 PM.
Advert
Old 03-26-2020, 05:02 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
You can get the same quality (9/10) refurbished kindle pw3 for $49.99 shipped on eBay.

Or I can get one with a bad screen for $29.99 and swap it

I'm trying to save money here lol
Don't get one known to be blacklisted. If the screen is broken, then chances are it's not stolen.

If you buy a working Kindle that;s blacklisted, then it's stolen.

If you can get a refurbished PW3 for $49.99 that's not blacklisted then get that one.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:03 PM   #7
idab420
Banned

Quote:
Don't get one known to be blacklisted. If the screen is broken, then chances are it's not stolen.

If you buy a working Kindle that;s blacklisted, then it's stolen.
I don't care if it's stolen. Most of the time they get blacklisted because people scam Amazon for many of them.

That's why they're so cheap

They're legally being sold on eBay.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:05 PM   #8
idab420
Banned

You're not really helping me at all though. I'm just wondering if I can swap a display panel from one pw3 to another lol
Old 03-26-2020, 05:05 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I don't care if it's stolen. Most of the time they get blacklisted because people scam Amazon for many of them.

That's why they're so cheap

They're legally being sold on eBay.
No, they are not being legally sold. If it's a scam it's not legal and if it's working, it's not legal. In most cases, a working Kindle gets blacklisted because it's lost or stolen and whoever end up with that Kindle is not legally selling it.

It is highly frowned upon on MR when someone buy a blacklisted Kindle keeps it. But knowingly buying one is even worse.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:07 PM   #10
idab420
Banned

Quote:
No, they are not being legally sold. If it's a scam it's not legal and if it's working, it's not legal. In most cases, a working Kindle gets blacklisted because it's lost or stolen and whoever end up with that Kindle is not legally selling it.
In this case, it's a Kindle repair company that bought many blacklisted Kindles on accident.

Do you expect them to just eat the loss? Somebody has to buy them.

They are still legal items to be sold. You're only banned from Amazon services. It doesn't turn into drug paraphernalia lmao.

Deletion.

Last edited by issybird; 03-26-2020 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Violation.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:11 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
In this case, it's a Kindle repair company that bought many blacklisted Kindles on accident.

Do you expect them to just eat the loss? Somebody has to buy them.

They are still legal items to be sold. You're only banned from Amazon services. It doesn't turn into drug paraphernalia lmao
I expect them to try to get their money back and if not, yes I do expect them to take the loss. It's not legal to sell these.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:14 PM   #12
idab420
Banned

Quote:
I expect them to try to get their money back and if not, yes I do expect them to take the loss. It's not legal to sell these.
it is 100% legal to sell them. Please show me the law that says otherwise.

ANYWAYS is buying this for the motherboard a good idea? (this one isn't blacklisted)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazon-Kind...MAAOSwnM1bW8Pt
Old 03-26-2020, 05:41 PM   #13
idab420
Banned

ended up buying: https://www.ebay.com/itm/173961759238

and: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-OE...53.m2749.l2649

I'll try to reattach the serial cables to my bricked one eventually. Just lazy.

Last edited by idab420; 03-26-2020 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:03 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
it is 100% legal to sell them. Please show me the law that says otherwise.

ANYWAYS is buying this for the motherboard a good idea? (this one isn't blacklisted)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazon-Kind...MAAOSwnM1bW8Pt
It's illegal because they are stolen goods.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:09 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
ended up buying: https://www.ebay.com/itm/173961759238

and: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-OE...53.m2749.l2649

I'll try to reattach the serial cables to my bricked one eventually. Just lazy.
That's a good purchase. Well done.