Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-14-2019, 11:27 PM   #1
catkin
catkin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (10th gen)
"Error communicating with device" and/or books sent to Kindle did not show up

Hi

This might be a Calibre problem or it might be a Kindle problem.

What did I do?
  • As user c ...
  • Started Calibre (3.39.1 from Debian Buster repo)
  • USB connect the Kindle (Paperwhite, 10th gen)
  • Waited for Calibre to detect KIndle
  • In Library tab, selected book and clicked "Send book to device"
  • Saw message:
    Code:
    ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device
    [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/media/c/Kindle5/'
  • Fixed missing directory (similar workarounds has allowed books to be sent to the Kindle before);
    Code:
    c@CW10:/media/c$ mkdir Kindle5
  • Clicked "Send book to device" again
  • Saw Jobs spinner spinning
  • Saw message that book has been sent to device
  • Saw Jobs spinner stop moving. Is that normal, I though it disappeared when the jobs stopped ... ?
  • Saw "On Device" value Main
  • On Kindle, found book was not listed in DOWNLOADS, ALL or collection Books

What did I try?

What should I try next?
  • Re-install Calibre?
  • Change USB cable?
  • Try on a different computer?
  • Something else?
catkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:17 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I dont support distro calibre packages. use the official calibre linux binaries.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2019, 05:08 AM   #3
catkin
catkin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (10th gen)
SOLVED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I dont support distro calibre packages. use the official calibre linux binaries.
Thanks for information. Installed Calibre from https://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux. Tested. Worked as expected.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for Calibre, for its very high quality and very usable UI.
catkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:30 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You're welcome
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote