Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 06-19-2020, 01:42 PM   #871
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrqmonteiro View Post
Why no support for Linux? I needed so much this plugin cause apparently only converting to KFX the book covers are supposed to show properly since the last update, but i'm using Linux and this is unavailable on linux
This plugin uses the Kindle Previewer to do the heavy lifting of converting to KFX. Unless Amazon releases a version of Kindle Previewer that runs under Linux, this plugin will not work.

To quote the Installation portion of the first message in this thread (click on the show butter after Spoiler):

Installation:

Spoiler:
Amazon Kindle Previewer 3 should be installed in the default location under the same user account as is being used to run calibre. It is available from http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?docId=1003018611 for Windows and Mac. Version 3.40 (June 5, 2020) is recommended for best results. (Versions below 3.38.0 are not compatible with this plugin. Versions newer than 3.40 have not been tested and might not be compatible.)

Install the KFX Output plugin and restart calibre as described in the Introduction to plugins thread.

You can tell if the plugin/Previewer combination is functioning properly by attempting to convert a book that is known to work. One example is this edition of Frankenstein by Mary Shelley.

On another hand, I thought that Kovid had added code to calibre so that books newly sent to a Kindle would have their covers restored on the next connection to calibre and then the covers would remain.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 08:09 AM   #872
Vicious
Vicious began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 3
I got this error when I opened the KFX file converted from mobi on calibre
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	213
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	180019  
Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2020, 08:48 AM   #873
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
I got this error when I opened the KFX file converted from mobi on calibre
The calibre viewer does not support reading KFX format.

You can read KFX content using the Kindle Previewer. Instructions are in this post: Open KFX with Kindle Previewer 3.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:27 AM   #874
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Version 1.43.0 - 02 Jul 2020

Detect Kindle Previewer versions up to 3.41. Version 3.41 includes some improvements to conversion.

Retry multiple times if the Kindle Previewer is unable to convert a book. This is a work around for a problem with the kindlegen component of the Previewer that causes conversion to occasionally fail unexpectedly.
Old 07-04-2020, 03:56 PM   #875
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
I tried to use Your plugin with Kindle Previewer 3.40 and 3.41 but they both don't produce a KFX: never. So I tried to insert directly in KP 3.41 various books (Epub) that produced KFX with 3.38 and none of them had the better typography.

So the trouble is in some incompatibility between the Kindle Previewer 3.40 - 3.41 and my version of Windows 10 64 bit.

I don't know how to discover which version precisely I have of Windows 10 (I use it mostly for Kindle because of Your plugin), but anyway until there will be a new version of Kindle Previewer that works for me I will stay with 3.38.

Last edited by ps67; 07-04-2020 at 04:00 PM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2020, 04:49 PM   #876
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
So the trouble is in some incompatibility between the Kindle Previewer 3.40 - 3.41 and my version of Windows 10 64 bit.
Without some more specific information, such as a error message, I am afraid that I don't have any way to assist you.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:49 AM   #877
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Without some more specific information, such as a error message, I am afraid that I don't have any way to assist you.
This is the result with KP 3.38 and 3.41 and one of the books I tried to convert

Edit:
Version OS: 1903
Build OS: 18362.900
Attached Files
File Type: txt KP-3.38.txt (6.4 KB, 145 views)
File Type: txt KP3.41.txt (7.3 KB, 131 views)
File Type: epub Storia di un'anima - Giacomo Leopardi.epub (597.8 KB, 152 views)

Last edited by ps67; 07-05-2020 at 03:23 AM. Reason: Edit: Version OS and Build OS
Old 07-05-2020, 10:45 AM   #878
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
This is the result with KP 3.38 and 3.41 and one of the books I tried to convert
The log using version 3.41 shows that the Kindle Previewer is unable to convert the book and it does not provide any reason for the failure. That is unfortunately typical of the way that the Previewer handles errors.

I tried the book you supplied on my system and had no problem converting it using version 3.41 of the Previewer. I am not running that exact build of Windows 10, but I doubt that is a factor.

If you are using some type of antivirus software other than the built-in Windows Defender, you could try disabling that and see if conversion completes. Other than that I do not have any idea of what could be going wrong. Sorry.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:18 AM   #879
ps67
Guru

I don't use a antivirus, there is only the built-in Windows Defender. And the strange thing is that 3.41 starts (a antivirus issue should prevent the program starting, I imagine, but I am not expert) but no books has better typography.

I can only stay on 3.38 until, for some miracle, there will be a working version for me.

And I think that it doesn't matter the book, I posted that specific book because it is in public domain, but no book is converted.

Last edited by ps67; 07-05-2020 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:18 PM   #880
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I don't use a antivirus, there is only the built-in Windows Defender.
It was a long shot. I have heard that some antivirus programs cause problems for calibre.

Quote:
And the strange thing is that 3.41 starts (a antivirus issue should prevent the program starting, I imagine, but I am not expert) but no books has better typography.
The main Kindle Previewer program (Kindle Previewer 3.exe) launches a series of other programs that perform each of the steps in the conversion process. (java.exe, phantomjs.exe, kindlegen.exe, KindleImageProcessor.exe, etc.) If any of those fail then the conversion will not be successful.

Quote:
I can only stay on 3.38 until, for some miracle, there will be a working version for me.
Hopefully a future Previewer release will fix whatever is going wrong.

Last edited by jhowell; 07-05-2020 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-20-2020, 01:33 PM   #881
AJone
AJone began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10th Generation
Hi do I prevent calibre from overwriting Amazon book covers when reconnecting my kindle? I'm happy enough to let ASIN fetch my covers for me.
Thanks
AJone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:49 PM   #882
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJone View Post
Hi do I prevent calibre from overwriting Amazon book covers when reconnecting my kindle? I'm happy enough to let ASIN fetch my covers for me.
Calibre stashes a copy of the cover thumbnails it creates in a folder on the Kindle device. (I don't know the folder name off the top of my head.) You can empty that folder manually to prevent calibre from restoring cover thumbnail images.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:48 AM   #883
0xReki
0xReki began at the beginning.

Device: BOOX Nova 3
Quote:
It was a long shot. I have heard that some antivirus programs cause problems for calibre.

The main Kindle Previewer program (Kindle Previewer 3.exe) launches a series of other programs that perform each of the steps in the conversion process. (java.exe, phantomjs.exe, kindlegen.exe, KindleImageProcessor.exe, etc.) If any of those fail then the conversion will not be successful.

Hopefully a future Previewer release will fix whatever is going wrong.

I had the same issue after reinstalling Windows 10. After installing all VC++ Runtimes there are — I'd need them for Games anyway — it started working again. I hope it helps.
0xReki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:14 AM   #884
ps67
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xReki View Post
I had the same issue after reinstalling Windows 10. After installing all VC++ Runtimes there are — I'd need them for Games anyway — it started working again. I hope it helps.
Thank You, one of these days I will try.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:22 AM   #885
AJone
AJone began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10th Generation
Quote:
Calibre stashes a copy of the cover thumbnails it creates in a folder on the Kindle device. (I don't know the folder name off the top of my head.) You can empty that folder manually to prevent calibre from restoring cover thumbnail images.
Thanks, I'll give that a go
AJone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kfx, linux, wine