Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #1
marshies
Enthusiast
marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Sony PRS650
Enjoyed [insert book here] as a child, looking for more like it in the adult world

I've been able to spend a lot of time revisiting books I enjoyed greatly as a child during the Christmas break, and I thought I'd start a thread so I can continue my enjoyment of certain genres, themes and styles into adult books.

One series I loved as a child were the Royal Diaries Series. I was wondering if there are adult historical fiction that are similar.

Thanks!

Last edited by marshies; 01-07-2011 at 01:33 AM.
marshies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:48 AM   #2
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Probably my all-time favorite book as a child was Wilson Rawls' Where the Red Fern Grows. Man, I remember being right there with that boy as he worked through the summer earning enough money to buy those dogs, and then training them, and finally the big contest... I'd love to find some adult books to move me the way that novel did!
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2011, 11:00 AM   #3
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Oooo, the Wrinkle In Time books by Madeleine L'Engle! (Not the later Polly books, which sucked.) It was my first experience with fantasy books, and I've read them a few times. Getting ready to reread them this year; I hope they stand up to my memories.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Seems like the books I enjoyed most when I was a child, the works of Robert E. Howard, E.R.B. and Perry Rhodan, don't stand up to my rereading them as an adult.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:43 PM   #5
marshies
Enthusiast
marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Sony PRS650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Seems like the books I enjoyed most when I was a child, the works of Robert E. Howard, E.R.B. and Perry Rhodan, don't stand up to my rereading them as an adult.
Luckily, I can still enjoy my favourites as an adult.
I guess from 8 to 20, my understanding of literature just hasn't been fine-tuned enough. :S
marshies is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 02:05 AM   #6
birdbrainbb
Addict
birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshies View Post
I've been able to spend a lot of time revisiting books I enjoyed greatly as a child during the Christmas break, and I thought I'd start a thread so I can continue my enjoyment of certain genres, themes and styles into adult books.

One series I loved as a child were the Royal Diaries Series. I was wondering if there are adult historical fiction that are similar.

Thanks!
I loved the Royal Diaries series, too! I haven't read any of her books (yet), but maybe Michelle Moran's books are something like them?
birdbrainbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:31 PM   #7
PitterPat
PitterPat has learned how to read e-booksPitterPat has learned how to read e-booksPitterPat has learned how to read e-booksPitterPat has learned how to read e-booksPitterPat has learned how to read e-booksPitterPat has learned how to read e-booksPitterPat has learned how to read e-books

I loved the Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder. That was many years ago right before the TV show was done (showing my age). I still like to read books about the pioneers and people from the 1800's.
PitterPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:02 PM   #8
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Sad to see this thread just kind of fizzled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitterPat View Post
I loved the Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder. That was many years ago right before the TV show was done (showing my age). I still like to read books about the pioneers and people from the 1800's.

I also loved the Little House books! They were the first series I ever read and owned. My father bought them for me becuase of my love of the show. I was so happy to find them a few months ago, in e-book format. I'm hoping to get my daughter interested in them so that I have an excuse to buy a physical boxed set. I can't justify $30 if they won't be read by anyone other than myself.

Last edited by Nyssa; 03-21-2011 at 08:09 PM. Reason: more typos - I need new fingers
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:08 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Oooo, the Wrinkle In Time books by Madeleine L'Engle! (Not the later Polly books, which sucked.) It was my first experience with fantasy books, and I've read them a few times. Getting ready to reread them this year; I hope they stand up to my memories.
I loved L'Engle's Wrinkle books too! I'd have to say that Tim Powers' Anubis Gates would be an adult equivalent of these books -- assuming that I have the gist of the thread right, that is.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:20 PM   #10
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I loved the girls' mystery series, especially the career girls: Cherry Ames, Vicki Barr, and Connie Blair.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:14 AM   #11
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Watership down. I really look at it far differently today than when I was 8 yrs old. I loved it then and I still do today but for different reasons.

Last edited by snipenekkid; 03-22-2011 at 04:39 PM.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #12
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I loved L'Engle's Wrinkle books too! I'd have to say that Tim Powers' Anubis Gates would be an adult equivalent of these books -- assuming that I have the gist of the thread right, that is.
I read Anubis Gates last year (2 years ago?) and nearly loved it. It sort of fizzled at the end when Powers was rushing around trying to tie everything up in 20 pages. Have you read anything else by Powers? I've heard good things about On Stranger Tides.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:50 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess
Have you read anything else by Powers? I've heard good things about On Stranger Tides.
I enjoy all of his work. My favorite would be The Stress of Her Regard. On Stranger Tides is fantastic as well. Powers takes real events, situations and people and puts them together in a way that makes the supernatural parts of his stories seem, well... "natural."

I think of it as magical realism -- and few do it better than Tim Powers.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:49 PM   #14
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I live in the general vicinity of where some of those Little House books are set, but I've never actually read them. I watched the TV show when I was a kid. But I wonder if I could get into them at my age. I may just have to give 'em a try.
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote