Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-26-2020, 03:49 PM   #1
Jake354
Jake354 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G / Kindle 5 NT / Sony PRS-350 / Nook Simple Touch
I got a brand new Kindle Keyboard 3G, and it won't turn on after hours of charging.

So I want to verify something someone told me. I was told to leave it charging for 48 hours so the power management chip can reactivate. Is that true, because my window to return it is gonna get real small by then. Also, the amber light is on, but it isn't pulling much power at all, apparently. Does that signify something?
Jake354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 04:19 PM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
The KK is a ten year old device. If it's been sitting unused for 10 years, the battery may be dead past the point of return.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 04:57 PM   #3
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Did you buy it to read on it or for Apprentice Alf reasons?

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 11:24 AM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
"Kindle 3" and "brand new" don't exactly mix well in 2020 ^^.

But, yes, leaving it sucking power for 48H or more is standard procedure (as is doing the same after having left it in a freezer overnight or more).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 11:41 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
It will need a new battery. About $15 €14 £13 from China. Allow 6 weeks. The last two samples were last year's production and about a week before shipped. Not hard to fit.

Also it's second hand or maybe very rare NOS (New Old Stock, unused but ancient). I'd not buy a S/H Kindle (old or recent) except maybe cheap in a local shop and checking it's not blocked. Not just stolen ones and generally Amazon won't reset the blocking.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 03:50 PM   #6
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Don't know where you live Jake, but the battery is probably toast. You can get a new one from Newpower99.com. US company, but check their info for where they ship if you live outside the US. Easy to change. You have to decide whether it's worth it or not. I have 4 and they all have good batteries, but they are regularly used.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 11:51 AM   #7
happysnapper22
Connoisseur
happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2 & PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake354 View Post
So I want to verify something someone told me. I was told to leave it charging for 48 hours so the power management chip can reactivate. Is that true, because my window to return it is gonna get real small by then. Also, the amber light is on, but it isn't pulling much power at all, apparently. Does that signify something?
Lithium batteries can be reluctant to charge if run down completely or left discharged for a long time. Sometimes they can be 'woken up' by charging with a USB battery power bank type device rather than a mains charger even then might take couple of hours to get it going. If it works once battery is at 20% or so revert to mains charger if desired.
happysnapper22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:22 PM   #8
Jake354

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
"Kindle 3" and "brand new" don't exactly mix well in 2020 ^^.

But, yes, leaving it sucking power for 48H or more is standard procedure (as is doing the same after having left it in a freezer overnight or more).
I'll try the overnight thing, thanks.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:24 PM   #9
Jake354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It will need a new battery. About $15 €14 £13 from China. Allow 6 weeks. The last two samples were last year's production and about a week before shipped. Not hard to fit.

Also it's second hand or maybe very rare NOS (New Old Stock, unused but ancient). I'd not buy a S/H Kindle (old or recent) except maybe cheap in a local shop and checking it's not blocked. Not just stolen ones and generally Amazon won't reset the blocking.
It's NOS, which is why I thought it was going to work. The person I bought it from also included a brand new case, and a screen protector, so I really thought it was going to work. In original box, unopened, etc.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:38 AM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake354 View Post
It's NOS, which is why I thought it was going to work. The person I bought it from also included a brand new case, and a screen protector, so I really thought it was going to work. In original box, unopened, etc.
Unfortunately lithium batteries aren't really designed to go that long without a charge. I've had some luck with a few old readers by finding a charger with a higher amperage than what usually comes with phones or eInk readers. Maybe a charger designed for a tablet would "kick it over." But I'm afraid you'll probably end up replacing the battery. If the current battery is bulging you'll want to get the back off as soon as possible and remove it so the pressure doesn't crack your screen. I had that happen on a Kindle 3 I bought off Shop Goodwill.

Batteries for these can be as low as $14 on eBay. (Sold and shipped in the U.S.) (I just realized you may not be in the U.S.)

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+battery&rt=nc

Last edited by rcentros; 06-29-2020 at 01:41 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:01 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lithium battery life is affected by time and temperature as well as number of cycles. A cycle is a bit complicated.

No such thing as a working NOS lithium battery if over 2 to 5 years old. The battery in your ereader could be almost 10 years old.

Also there are other reasons to avoid old Kindles, though the Kindle Keyboard is better than the DX or later DXG, as the DXG uses older Firmware than older Keyboard models (DXG B009 vs Keyboard B008).
Old 06-29-2020, 04:07 AM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysnapper22 View Post
Lithium batteries can be reluctant to charge if run down completely or left discharged for a long time. Sometimes they can be 'woken up' by charging with a USB battery power bank type device rather than a mains charger even then might take couple of hours to get it going. If it works once battery is at 20% or so revert to mains charger if desired.
Likely makes no difference on any Kindle with a 4 pin cell connector, i.e. a controller in the cell pack.

There is a fire / explosion risk charging a totally flat lithium cell which is why the "empty" symbol isn't meaning really flat. Devices turn off when the battery is too low and generally won't charge at all if the battery is really flat or too flat. Manually charging a "naked" pouch or cylindrical cell is a good way to cause a fire or explosion. Also no Lithium cell is trickle charged when full, as that also is dangerous. The charger will pulse on and off as the battery/cell discharges.

Tags
charging battery, kindle 3 3g, troubleshooting