Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-07-2018, 10:41 AM   #1
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Which Paperwhite is older?

I have three Paperwhites. I'm giving one away. Is there a way to determine which is the oldest? I bought two and one was a gift.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:44 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Check the S/N.

There's also (at least as far as PW1 & PW2 are concerned) a subtle difference in the logo placement, but I can never remember which is which.

If one of those is a PW1, it should be easy to tell apart: the screen is noticeably worse.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:45 AM   #3
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I have three Paperwhites. I'm giving one away. Is there a way to determine which is the oldest? I bought two and one was a gift.
I think you can check the serial numbers on this wiki page https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:46 AM   #4
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Not officially confirmed, but very likely you can see the date of manufacture in the serial number:
http://kindle.zzweb.ru/sn/
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:00 AM   #5
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If this is correct, it works:
"Manufacturer (1) — номер завода производителя. Например, 7 — Foxconn.
Condition (2) — состояние устройства. Новое — 0, восстановленное — 1.
Device (3-4) — устройство. Например, Kindle Fire HD (2013) — D2, Kindle (2014) — C6, Kindle Voyage — 13, Fire TV — 90.
Hardware Revision (5-6) — версия компонентов.
Unit Revision (7-8) — версия изделия.
Year Manufactured (9) — последняя цифра года производства. Например, 2 — 2012, 3 — 2013, 4 — 2014 и т.д.
Week Manufactured (10-11) — номер недели производства (от 01 до 52).
Day Manufactured (12) —день недели производства (от 1 до 7).
Serial Number (13-16) — номер изделия уникальный в рамках одного дня производства."

All three of my Paperwhites are Paperwhite 3 and start with G090. The first page suggested is out-of-date and didn't work. I know I got one Paperwhite from Amazon.mx early this year and that works using the 9th numeral as the year. That system shows the other two as 2016 and 2015. I think that works. It's get a little murky because at least one is a replacement under warrenty for one that developed a hot spot.

The USAF taught me Russian but that was 50 years ago.
Thanks.

Last edited by patrickt; 11-07-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:28 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Check the S/N.

There's also (at least as far as PW1 & PW2 are concerned) a subtle difference in the logo placement, but I can never remember which is which.

If one of those is a PW1, it should be easy to tell apart: the screen is noticeably worse.
Iirc, PW1 says Kindle on the back while PW2 says Amazon.

If my memory's not failing me:

PW1
front: Kindle (white/silver)
back: Kindle

PW2
back: Amazon

PW3
front: Kindle (black, subtle)

Last edited by ilovejedd; 11-07-2018 at 03:32 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:49 PM   #7
patrickt
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Iirc, PW1 says Kindle on the back while PW2 says Amazon.

If my memory's not failing me:

PW1
back: Kindle

PW2

PW3
front: Kindle (black, subtle)
PW3 came out in 2015. All of my PWs are PW3s. I just wanted to know which was the oldest. I'm giving one away and thought I'd start with the oldest.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:01 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
PW3 came out in 2015. All of my PWs are PW3s. I just wanted to know which was the oldest. I'm giving one away and thought I'd start with the oldest.
Gotcha. Go by serial number. I believe Amazon goes consecutive on those.

The PW3 I bought in 2015 was:
G090 G105 5xxx xxxx

The PW3 I bought this year was:
G090 G105 7xxx xxxx
Old 11-07-2018, 11:24 PM   #9
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Gotcha. Go by serial number. I believe Amazon goes consecutive on those.

The PW3 I bought in 2015 was:
G090 G105 5xxx xxxx

The PW3 I bought this year was:
G090 G105 7xxx xxxx
You might be on to something. My PW3 bought late last year has a 7 as well, except the G105 is KB03 (my PW3 is white).
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:35 PM   #10
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
You might be on to something. My PW3 bought late last year has a 7 as well, except the G105 is KB03 (my PW3 is white).
Actually, @patrickt's post had far more information. I just hadn't realized since I stopped reading it when I saw Russian.

That actually seems very useful info as far as jailbreaking is concerned. Per the code above, my PW3 (purchased in March 2018) was manufactured in 2017. Mine came with fw5.8.11 stock but I was able to jailbreak it fresh OOTB (never connected to wifi, never registered with Amazon) using the factory fw5.8.9.0.1 method.

PW3 4GB Black Wi-Fi SO
G105

PW3 32GB Black Wi-Fi (woot)
LK01

PW3 32GB White Wi-Fi (woot)
LL01

Last edited by ilovejedd; 11-07-2018 at 11:52 PM.

Tags
manufacture date, s/n