Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-15-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
Reading Timer launcher extension

Important note (2013-01-09)

since firmware 5.3.2 the "time to read" feature is enabled by default and this extension is not needed anymore (and must not be installed).

Reading timer hidden feature (Kindle Touch with firmware 5.1.2)

Eureka has found a disabled Kindle Touch 5.1.2 feature which seems to be used in the latest Kindle Paperwhite model announced by Amazon (advertised as "Time to read"). He noticed that in /opt/amazon/ebook/config/reader_plugins.xml there's a commented plugin called Reading Timer (located in /opt/amazon/ebook/lib/ReadingTimer.jar).

Well, I uncommented the plugin and restarted the framework and ... It seems to work.

When you open a book, in the menu you find a new item "Activate reading timer" (already localized in IT, DE, FR, ES, ...).

After a first phase of "training" the timer begins to work. It gives (on the status bar) a projection of how much you have already read and how much you miss to the end of the book even if I don't know how accurate it is.

The initial training can be reset by removing the reading preferences file (warning: also font and margin preferences are reset, and the introductory page teaching how to turn pages is shown again once).

You can tap on the status line ad the bottom of the display to switch between different infos (time elapsed since beginning, time to the end of the section and of the book).

For more screenshots see here.

Reading timer launcher extension

Implementing a "Launcher" extension to load/unload this plugin is quite simple: remove comments from the appropriate line in /opt/amazon/ebook/config/reader_plugins.xml file or set them back and then restart the framework.

Prerequisites:
  1. Amazon Kindle Touch with firmware 5.1.2 (maybe 5.1.0 is OK, but I havent checked)
  2. Jailbreak
  3. GUI Launcher for Kindle touch.

To activate the extension, unzip the files in the extensions directory. A new "readingtimer" subfolder should appear, containing a shell script in readingtimer/bin which does the trick.

Warning: This extension has been tested only on my 5.1.2 kindle touch. Don't use it on different firmwares and in particular don't use it with firmwares from 5.3.2 on (it's no longer needed and could damage your KT). In any case don't use it unless you know what you're doing. Do a complete backup before trying since it could damage your kindle.

After tapping on "Load/Unload Reading Timer plugin" you will see your display turn white. Wait until the framework has restarted.

At the end of the book menu (that which pops up when touching the top of the display) you will find an "Activate reading timer" entry. Tap it and the plugin will start counting time. «At this moment, 3h 45m at the end of the book I'm reading and 10 minutes to the end of the section. I've enough time to read the section to the end and maybe I'm going to finish the whole book within tuesday». ;-)

This extension has been tested only on my 5.1.2 kindle touch. Don't use it on previous firmwares and in any case don't use it unless you know what you're doing. Do a complete backup before trying since it could damage your kindle.

To install:
  1. connect your kindle to the computer;
  2. open the extensions folder (if it's not present, you're missing point 3 in prerequisite list);
  3. unpack the contents of the readingtimer-vX.Y.Z.zip file directly to the "extensions" folder on your kindle.
  4. unconnect the kindle;
  5. restart your kindle;

To uninstall:
  1. unload the readingtimer plugin (if you don't it will remain active);
  2. connect your kindle to the computer
  3. open the extensions folder;
  4. remove the readingtimer subfolder;
  5. unconnect the kindle;
  6. restart your kindle;

A regular .bin package may come as soon as I'll understand how to do it (thanks to twobob for addressing me to the proper infos). By the way, installation is such straightforward that I don't feel that a bin package is actually needed.

Help needed

The Reading Timer plugin is actually bundled into the firmware of KT. Actually this extension just uncovers an hidden feature but doesn't add anything to the system. Could it make sense to add it directly into the Launcher package?

Any comment welcome.

Some possible issues/developments
  • It would be nice to "forget" a book and start timing it again;
  • It would be also nice to integrate this plugin's data with Ixtab JBPatch toolbar patch.

Changes
  • v0.0.4 [29/11/2012]: preference file is now backed-up to the extension directory;
  • v0.0.3 [29/11/2012]: the reading timer training can now be reset by deleting the reading preferences file (many thanks to thomass).
  • v0.0.2 [16/9/2012]: previous version was uploaded with "unload plugin" as the the default menu, which is obviously wrong since by default the plugin is unloaded.
  • v0.0.1 [16/9/2012]: initial release
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-09-16T03_22_19-0200.gif
Views:	742
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	92413   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-09-16T13_18_45-0200.gif
Views:	750
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	92440   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-09-16T13_19_49-0200.gif
Views:	776
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	92441  
Attached Files
File Type: zip readingtimer-v0.0.4.zip (2.8 KB, 373 views)

Last edited by pirl8; 01-09-2013 at 04:00 AM. Reason: not compatible with firmware 5.3.2
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
cristbo
Uno mas
cristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle PaperWhite
Gracias
cristbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
dukesilver
Connoisseur
dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I wonder if this will be included in an upcoming official KT update. surely so, since it's simply commented out right now.
dukesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesilver View Post
I wonder if this will be included in an upcoming official KT update. surely so, since it's simply commented out right now.
Given that there are a lot of "paperwhite" functionalities already present in the 5.1.2 firmware (support for light, support for 1024x758, reading timer...), it looks like the PW has extensively been tested with 5.1.2. Which could in turn mean that the PW simply ships with 5.2.0, and that that version could also support older Kindle Touch models. Just speculation at this time... we'll know in a few weeks from now.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Given that there are a lot of "paperwhite" functionalities already present in the 5.1.2 firmware (support for light, support for 1024x758, reading timer...), it looks like the PW has extensively been tested with 5.1.2. Which could in turn mean that the PW simply ships with 5.2.0, and that that version could also support older Kindle Touch models. Just speculation at this time... we'll know in a few weeks from now.
I bet they'll break something in present SWs!
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver18 View Post
I bet they'll break something in present SWs!
I'm not going to bet against that.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:28 PM   #7
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Which could in turn mean that the PW simply ships with 5.2.0, and that that version could also support older Kindle Touch models.
I made the same speculation. Same firmware on a "castrated" hardware (i don't think that a dimmable led light is a great technological leap forward).

BTW, I had a new-look "paint it black" kindle 4 non-touch in my hands and I must say that it really looks much better than the silver one.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
yiming
Zealot
yiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch, PW2, PW5
i've installed the extension successfully (Turn On/Off Reading Timer selection appears in Menu), but no timer appears at the bottom of the screen. thinking that it might be because of the JBpatch i've installed, i disabled the Customize Progress Indicator, but still to no avail.

my firmware is 5.12, with the latest JBpatch. could it be that this extension is incompatible with JBpatch? thanks.
yiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #9
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by yiming View Post
i've installed the extension successfully (Turn On/Off Reading Timer selection appears in Menu), but no timer appears at the bottom of the screen. thinking that it might be because of the JBpatch i've installed, i disabled the Customize Progress Indicator, but still to no avail.

my firmware is 5.12, with the latest JBpatch. could it be that this extension is incompatible with JBpatch? thanks.
am testing this now
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #10
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

-erm no it does.... wait for training to finish . click bottom right to check

same setup. cheers

Last edited by twobob; 10-06-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:40 PM   #11
pirl8
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiming View Post

I've the same configuration as yours. It should work.

Have you tried tapping over the status line, at right? The indicator should appear saying that training is in action. It may also say that your book is finished. If you keep reading after a very few pages the time left to read should appear.

By tapping, a few different layouts should appear, one of which with the JBPatch status line resized at the center.

Last edited by pirl8; 10-06-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #12
yiming
Zealot
yiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch, PW2, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirl8 View Post
I've the same configuration as yours. It should work.

Have you tried tapping over the status line, at right? The indicator should appear saying that training is in action. It may also say that your book is finished. If you keep reading after a very few pages the time left to read should appear.

By tapping, a few different layouts should appear, one of which with the JBPatch status line resized at the center.
@pirl8 @twobob, thanks for your replies, finally got it working.

i discovered that i've to tap somewhere in the middle of the status line to activate the timer. i also found that i couldn't activate the timer because i've set the bottom margin too small that my finger couldn't reach the status line. problem solved when i used a pen
yiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #13
twobob

ah good
Old 11-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #14
pirl8
Pest

I've updated the extension to version 0.0.3. Training data can be reset by removing the reading preferences file (warning: also font and margin preferences are reset, and the introductory page teaching how to turn pages is shown again once).

Many thanks to thomass!
Old 11-29-2012, 06:32 PM   #15
pirl8
Pest

Version 0.0.4: preference file backup is now copied into the extension dir instead of /mnt/us.

Tags
launcher add-ons