Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-20-2011, 04:43 PM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
I am sorry to keep harping on this issue, and I really do appreciate all the work involved in running this site. But I just have to ask: on this thread, you remove a link to one author's site, which has his own legal work on it, and in another thread about fan fiction, there are perhaps a dozen links to fan fiction clearinghouse type sites, which are much more likely to contain both legal and illegal works? I speak of the thread "Fan Fiction - Why?" in General Discussions.
Because those are the names of sites (and it's fine to name sites). This was a download link to a specific book (or trilogy, to be precise) and that we don't permit.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:23 AM   #17
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
ah, gotcha!

Thanks,
eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:20 AM   #18
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Because those are the names of sites (and it's fine to name sites). This was a download link to a specific book (or trilogy, to be precise) and that we don't permit.
So you are explicitly stating that MR does not allow the distribution of LEGAL and creator/copyright-holder endorsed books? In such a case MR has decided to censor the access. Yes?

Edit: Ahhhh, OK I think I see it now Harry. Basically MR says it's OK to link to the site but not OK to link to a direct download. Is that correct? If so has this also been applied to authors who post here? They also must link to pages rather than direct downloads? I can see where that would be a sensible way to handle a potentially bad situation. But I want to add that your initial comment on this matter was rather sparse on details. After that your comments were sorta terse and it took you several posts to elaborate on what was OK.

Yeah people could read but your comment could actually scare people away from even posting, heck mentioning, a site. I just figure there are more eyes looking than participating in the discussion and it's those eyes MR probably would love to be able convince to participate on MR. If I missed your point I am sure you will elaborate on the issue.

Last edited by snipenekkid; 03-22-2011 at 01:46 AM.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:00 PM   #19
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
If I may make a suggestion:

Should this topic arise again (and I'm pretty sure it will), could the moderator in question please include a link in their moderation post, to wherever it explains the rules in full. I believe that should help prevent further misunderstanding, and/or ongoing arguments.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:15 AM   #20
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Smile Anyway.............

Having been alerted to this "series" by trusty MobileRead, I have started the first.

I must say, in a way, I can see why Ms. Rowling ( whom I had the honour to meet once, charming lady) abandoned legal action. ( But I still think it's a bit of a cheek ! )

While OK in a bit of a "ho-hum" way, the "fake" represents no real threat to her original creations.
In fact, they might encourage readers to go back, or even discover, the real thing.

For example, quite apart from the quality of writing, and much else, I find one interesting difference.

That is that J.K's explanations or justifications for complicated things, or concepts, which arise in her magical world, seem so much briefer, concise, and sometimes unnecessary, than in the James Potter work.

Which shows, I feel, the gulf between the two projects. But this is not, I'm sure, meant in any way to rival the original, and stands as the author hopefully intended, a fan's non-profit "homage".

So, while not finding much of a "ah good, this goes on where Harry left off" feeling, there's not much need for a book-burning !
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote