Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-23-2008, 04:58 PM   #31
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Well, I have to admit that personally I hope they don't make a TV series. TV execs always want to change things... Its one thing when the show is original to TV, its another when its based on a book.

If it gets to TV, I bet the officers will be wearing their regular uniforms during battle, the ships will make noise in space and the ships will be in visual range of each other before engaging.

As for Honor dieing... I believe she might; but I can't imagine it happening until at least the Havenite Wars are resolved... Unlike the Napoleonic Wars... I can't imagine that Havenite Wars continuing after the definitive defeat of the Havenite fleets; that would be a good time to die.

****spoiler warning*****

That being said... the recent books have basically made both sides look like decent people with the war being continued by manipulation by the Solarians... so maybe that will extend the series in a new direction.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:23 PM   #32
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I think a Honor anime series would work pretty well. The Japanese already have experience in turning space opera books into animation: Legend of Galactic Heroes, the Crest of Stars/Banner of Stars series and so on.
There were actually plans to make a series from Weber's Mutineer's Moon. There was even some concept art made but looks like ADV just couldn't get enough funding.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:57 PM   #33
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Well, I have to admit that personally I hope they don't make a TV series. TV execs always want to change things... Its one thing when the show is original to TV, its another when its based on a book.
I believe Weber retains enough control if this gors through that what you worry about won't occur.

Quote:
If it gets to TV, I bet the officers will be wearing their regular uniforms during battle, the ships will make noise in space and the ships will be in visual range of each other before engaging.
Define "visual range".

Though we can hope any such series avoids the worst of those excesses. My Horrible Example was an episode of the old "Space: Above and Beyond" series, where the good guy's carrier comes under surprise attack and fighter crews have to scramble to launch.

Excuse me? Surprise attack? The carrier has stood down in supposedly peaceful space, with nothing in any direction for light years. Explain how a surprise attack is possible by any mechanism that wouldn't get the Commodore and all of his senior officers court martialed for utter incompetence? Well, it's a dramatic episode opener, so we'll just assume the audience is too dumb to notice such things...

I was deeply amused by Weber's manipulation of the physics underlying the FTL drive used in the Honorverse to allow ships to form into "walls of battle" stationary relative to each other and whale away in Napoleonic War naval tactics modified for 3D.

Quote:
As for Honor dieing... I believe she might; but I can't imagine it happening until at least the Havenite Wars are resolved... Unlike the Napoleonic Wars... I can't imagine that Havenite Wars continuing after the definitive defeat of the Havenite fleets; that would be a good time to die.
Harrington is modeled after the fictional Horatio Hornblower and the real Admiral Lord Nelson, and her career parallels both. Nelson dies at Trafalgar...

Quote:
****spoiler warning*****

That being said... the recent books have basically made both sides look like decent people with the war being continued by manipulation by the Solarians... so maybe that will extend the series in a new direction.
Can and will. And it's not exactly manipulation by the Solarians - just by one particular group with a big stake in "business as usual".

Large stress lines are appearing in the Solarian League.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:25 PM   #34
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Last I heard and this is a spoiler--

HH has passed the point at which she was originally slated to die, as the overarching series is not following Weber's initial timeline.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:06 PM   #35
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Last I heard and this is a spoiler--

HH has passed the point at which she was originally slated to die, as the overarching series is not following Weber's initial timeline.
Yes. I believe she was originally slated to buy the farm in _At All Costs_. That didn't happen, for which I'm grateful.

What is happening is a transition to a focus on other characters. Honor is now senior enough, as a Dutchess and Steadholder, and Fleet Admiral in two navies, that it's harder to find situations to place her in where she might be killed. With the Havenite War winding down, that sort of action is less likely.

I can see a scenario where Manticore and Haven bury the hatchet, and combine to take out slavery once and for all, crossing fingers that the Solarian League won't try to get in the way, but ready to deal with it if they do...
_____
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:55 PM   #36
awesomevegan
Connoisseur
awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindleing since 11/4/08
I used to collect the Animorphs books when I was younger.

Hey Bob thanks for mentioning Librarything. I just joined it
awesomevegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:51 PM   #37
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have a complete set of "Dr Who" books and audio CDs.

Yea! Someone else who has a complete set! I started collecting the New/Missing adventure, but gave up when they weren't as exciting as the Target Novelizations. I got rid of those others, but kept my Target collection. I spent too many years collecting them.

I always wondered why you had a Dalek as an avatar. hehehehee

-Seth Williams
San Francisco, CA
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:28 AM   #38
carrie
Enthusiast
carrie doesn't littercarrie doesn't littercarrie doesn't litter

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
I'm collecting these right now:

C.S.I.
Buffy/Angel
The Dresden Files
X-Files (Have all 6! )

What do you all collect?

For the Buffy/Angel ones, other than the ones labeled 1, 2, 3, etc., does it matter which ones you read first? I watched the whole series.
No doubt already said (but I'm being lazy and not reading 3 pages of this thread) but the Dresden Files are not like the others in the fact that the TV show was based on the novals not the other way around.
carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:19 PM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcard View Post
My god, did you win the lottery and have an addition built?

I'm reading "Pirate Loop" right now, actually. Good stuff.
No, I've collected them over 30-odd years, first the "Target" novelizations of the original series, then the "New Adventures", published by Virgin, and more recently all the BBC books. They don't actually use up all that much space.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:44 PM   #40
QBColleen
QBColleen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
My first is Jeff Lindsay's Dexter books (3) which the Showtime series is based upon. Love it!!
QBColleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:45 PM   #41
LeisureSuitLarry
LeisureSuitLarry doesn't litterLeisureSuitLarry doesn't litter

Device: K-bob the Kindle
I collect the V novels, although until last year my active collecting was curtailed due to lack of product.
LeisureSuitLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:44 AM   #42
Feylamia
She-Giles
Feylamia began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I had a couple of 90210 novels when I was younger.

I only just discovered that there are Kindle versions of the Buffy novels so these will go on my wish list. Should be interesting to read them after all these years.
Feylamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:50 PM   #43
DuaneAA
Connoisseur
DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Kindle Fire HDX
I went and looked at the available Buffy books for the kindle. Wow, they are really expensive for mostly ten year old books. It doesn't seem like they are going to sell very many at that price. I might considered buying at around $3, but not at $8-9.

Duane
DuaneAA is offline   Reply With Quote