Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-11-2019, 01:31 PM   #1
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
My battery is draining way too fast

Hey folks,

So, I've got the latest o-t-a firmware release (12.12.12111) and lately I've been seeing odd things.

To be perfectly honest, it might just be because my reader is old-ish. I got my H2O back in April 2015 to replace a busted Aura HD. In that time my Kobo has been well-used, to say the least.

But today, for example... I left the H2O plugged in all weekend (not a normal occurence, but I was busy doing other things.) I took it with me on my morning commute and by the time I reached work it had gone from 100% to 71%. Believe me, I was not flipping *that* many pages!

Just thought I'd ask here if anyone's seen anything similar. I keep the wi-fi off. I keep my light around 20% during the day, 10% at night.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:40 AM   #2
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Replying to my own thread. *rolls eyes* Anyways, there's been enough views that I wanted to let folks know I've written something new.

I think that perhaps my reading lately is having an effect. I've been reading a lot of PDFs on the Kobo. Lots of zooming, lots of panning. Might be what's going on. It's a theory, anyways.
Advert
Old 03-12-2019, 11:24 PM   #3
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Sometimes, a background process can get stuck, which will have no visible symptoms, but prevents the processor form entering sleep state. I haven't seen this on a Kobo in a long time, but still theoretically possible. If you notice an unusual amount of battery drain, the first thing to try is to turn off and restart the Kobo. (Not just the usual sleep, but shut it right down. You'll know you got it when you see the booting up squares when you turn it back on.)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:51 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Definitely do the off-and-on-again etc - address the usual suspects. But I'd not be at all surprised if a device nearly four years old has a wearing-out or worn-out battery. Even if not well-used, these batteries have a limited life measured in years, not just in charge cycles. It's often quoted as "two to three years", though I've seen plenty of somewhat older devices still in use.

Last edited by meeera; 03-13-2019 at 03:56 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:32 AM   #5
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Definitely do the off-and-on-again etc - address the usual suspects. But I'd not be at all surprised if a device nearly four years old has a wearing-out or worn-out battery. Even if not well-used, these batteries have a limited life measured in years, not just in charge cycles. It's often quoted as "two to three years", though I've seen plenty of somewhat older devices still in use.
2 - 3 years is/was the expected life of laptop batteries... Not only was battery tech less refined when those estimates were common, but laptop batteries are often used in the worst possible environment for LiOn,, (kept at a near full charge and at heated temperatures when the laptop is in use.)

Devices that do not generate heat and do not cycle charges over 2-3 days should last twice as long easy.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2019, 05:05 PM   #6
ottdmk
Wizard

Just to mention: It doesn't appear to be a runaway process. I've rebooted the H2O a few times while trying to figure this out. When I plugged it in last weekend it had shut itself off due to low battery.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that my PDF reading is stressing a battery that is no longer top-notch due to age. I've left the H2O asleep for extended periods of time without any battery drain whatsoever.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:40 PM   #7
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
2 - 3 years is/was the expected life of laptop batteries... Not only was battery tech less refined when those estimates were common, but laptop batteries are often used in the worst possible environment for LiOn,, (kept at a near full charge and at heated temperatures when the laptop is in use.)

Devices that do not generate heat and do not cycle charges over 2-3 days should last twice as long easy.
So 4-6 years, and this device is four years old and still alive - just draining more quickly than when it was new. It's pretty typical of my experience with e-ink readers. I think we may also not notice it as readily as with a laptop battery, because the battery life is so long already.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:32 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
My H2O original has been used heavily since new. However I quickly gave up on PDFs. All mine are either too large, or print too small. Even a 10" tablet is challenging on some. I now only have some PDF manuals where original is about A5 sized, mostly for Japanese Ham Radio products with non-intuitive menus!

I've no battery issue at all, though it does seem to be not quite as long life as it used to be.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:08 PM   #9
GlenRunciter
Enthusiast
GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kobo Sage
I use a small powerbank for my old glo.

Last edited by GlenRunciter; 03-23-2019 at 11:24 AM.
GlenRunciter is offline   Reply With Quote