Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-23-2019, 06:08 PM   #1
Pvannest
Pvannest began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Kindle app on iPad delete problem

I use the Kindle app on my iPad Pro. The problem is that there are some kindle ebooks that I cannot “delete from device.” The option does not come up—only delete permanently which means I lose the book forever. Even on the Amazon site under “Content and Devices’ the “delete from device” option doesn’t show up. These are books that show in my “downloaded” page in the kindle app. Help!

(App is updated. iPad iOS is updated. iPad has been restarted several times.)

—pvannest
Pvannest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 06:44 PM   #2
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvannest View Post
I use the Kindle app on my iPad Pro. The problem is that there are some kindle ebooks that I cannot “delete from device.” The option does not come up—only delete permanently which means I lose the book forever. Even on the Amazon site under “Content and Devices’ the “delete from device” option doesn’t show up. These are books that show in my “downloaded” page in the kindle app. Help!

(App is updated. iPad iOS is updated. iPad has been restarted several times.)

—pvannest
Are these purchased books from Amazon or sideloaded books or documents? Could they be borrowed books or sample books?
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:06 AM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Yeah it sounds like these items are not stored in Amazon Cloud. These would not show up on your Amazon Manage Content page.

You can delete things permanently from your library at Manage Content, be it something you bought from Amazon, a library book you borrowed at some point, or a Personal Document Amazon is storing for you.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 12:40 PM   #4
Pvannest
Pvannest began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Are these purchased books from Amazon or sideloaded books or documents? Could they be borrowed books or sample books?
No, these are standard kindle books i’ve bought from Amazon. Nothing different about them except I cannot remove them from my device. 😔
Pvannest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 02:22 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Double-check that the affected books show up in your Amazon account (Your Contents and Devices).

Assuming the books are all there, I suggest just deleting the Amazon Kindle app and reinstalling then redownloading your books. Maybe something got corrupted at some point (probably after updating) so a fresh start would be your best bet.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 12:47 PM   #6
Stu109
Enthusiast
Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.

Device: Apple
Sometimes they just get "stuck" after deletion. You don't need to delete the app, just go into settings and "deregister this Kindle" and then immediately register it again using your user name and password and all will be well
Stu109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 02:42 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu109 View Post
Sometimes they just get "stuck" after deletion. You don't need to delete the app, just go into settings and "deregister this Kindle" and then immediately register it again using your user name and password and all will be well
Do you need to ré-download content after doing this? While I’m not having any particular issues at the moment (*) I’d like to know should I ever need to do so. At the least I would create a collection of everything currently Downloaded so I could restore it more easily. (iOS has that Download All option on collection)

(*) there is one book I borrowed from KU that has an audiobook companion, but I get an error every time I try to download it on my phone. No issue on my iPad or ancient Android phone.

Last edited by tomsem; 04-07-2019 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:21 AM   #8
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No clue what deregistering a device and reregistering it will do as far as downloaded material, but I will say that it pays to go to the web page at Amazon to view and edit your devices every now and then. A couple of weeks ago I went to make sure I had deregistered a couple of devices I was selling. I was amazed at how many iOS and other devices were listed under my Kindle devices and apps. Every device I have ever registered for Kindle services was listed there, and they were virtually impossible to tell which was which by glancing at the names because Amazon uses a naming scheme similar to "5th iOS Kindle app". You have to click on each one in the list and get the details to try and figure out which device the list item is referring to. I took several minutes to go through and delete all the old and no longer used devices (Kindles, Android tablets, iOS iPhones and iPads) from the list, then renamed all the still active devices to something that made sense like "Kindle App on iPhone XR" and "Kindle App on iPad Pro 9.7".

Last edited by OtinG; 04-08-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:21 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
No clue what deregistering a device and reregistering it will do as far as downloaded material, but I will say that it pays to go to the web page at Amazon to view and edit your devices every now and then. A couple of weeks ago I went to make sure I had deregistered a couple of devices I was selling. I was amazed at how many iOS and other devices were listed under my Kindle devices and apps. Every device I have ever registered for Kindle services was listed there, and they were virtually impossible to tell which was which by glancing at the names because Amazon uses a naming scheme similar to "5th iOS Kindle app". You have to click on each one in the list and get the details to try and figure out which device the list item is referring to. I took several minutes to go through and delete all the old and no longer used devices (Kindles, Android tablets, iOS iPhones and iPads) from the list, then renamed all the still active devices to something that made sense like "Kindle App on iPhone XR" and "Kindle App on iPad Pro 9.7".
Yes this applies to Audible app, Amazon app, and Alexa app as well. Unless you rename right after registering the app it can get very confusing. The apps themselves do not show how they are named and don’t let you edit it. Unlike Kindle. Annoying.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:28 PM   #10
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Yes this applies to Audible app, Amazon app, and Alexa app as well. Unless you rename right after registering the app it can get very confusing. The apps themselves do not show how they are named and don’t let you edit it. Unlike Kindle. Annoying.
Yep very annoying! I rarely go to the My Devices web page on Amazon’s website, so I was surprised by all the clutter. I took about 30 minutes to delete all the devices no longer used and renamed all the Kindle apps, Alexa apps, and Echo devices so I know which is which now! From now on I will make a habit of going to that page as soon as I get a new device or need to delete a device I no longer have.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:19 PM   #11
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Speaking of deleting... I discovered that about half of my downloaded (freebies, not bought) books have vaporised from my account. Does Amazon periodically have a cleanout? I dont mind, I had way too many anyhow (went crazy in the early days of my discovering Kindle freebies). But, I am curious.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:16 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Speaking of deleting... I discovered that about half of my downloaded (freebies, not bought) books have vaporised from my account. Does Amazon periodically have a cleanout? I dont mind, I had way too many anyhow (went crazy in the early days of my discovering Kindle freebies). But, I am curious.
Not to my knowledge. Depending on size of your library, it might take some time to sync up, but everything is there. I have discovered some situations where Search fails to find something that is there.

Go to Manage Your Content page and search there before concluding they are gone. That’s the place to clear out the junk as well.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:33 AM   #13
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Not to my knowledge. Depending on size of your library, it might take some time to sync up, but everything is there. I have discovered some situations where Search fails to find something that is there.

Go to Manage Your Content page and search there before concluding they are gone. That’s the place to clear out the junk as well.
Thts where i discovered the discrepancies. Not in any apps or on my Kindle. There is maybe 200 missing. I had a delete session of my own in a cleanout but not that many. Anyway like I said, it doesnt matter, there was a huge amount of junk in there,.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:35 PM   #14
WestCactus
Zealot
WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Oasis 1 & 3, Fire 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Thts where i discovered the discrepancies. Not in any apps or on my Kindle. There is maybe 200 missing. I had a delete session of my own in a cleanout but not that many. Anyway like I said, it doesnt matter, there was a huge amount of junk in there,.
I had a book that was not a freebie missing. Call to support helped find it.
WestCactus is offline   Reply With Quote