Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 07-27-2008, 01:49 PM   #1
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
AZ, Wandering in Alice Land chapter 1, v1, 20080727

I've been wondering about the ways in which an electronic book reader is superior to regular paper. Then I remembered those "Choose your own adventure" books of my youth (you know, those "You see a pirate! To attack, go to page 22. To hide, go to page 45" books) and it struck me that the Sony Reader with the arrow keys and enter button was an ideal candidate.

So I took Carroll's Alice in Wonderland, started to add some options, and here you are. Navigate with the up/down arrows and the big round enter key between the two. This is only the first chapter, I'm still exploring this format and its limitations and I'm a total hack, so be kind

Carroll's work is in the public domain, several added images are public domain too or under a compatible CC license (flickr, I love you), and my remix is CC-do-what-you-like.

Enjoy!

EDIT: added original HTML files for those wishing to "roll their own" for non-Sony devices that can render HTML and use named anchors/hyperlinks. Have your conversion software create page breaks on <p style="page-break-before: always">

...and no peeking!
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf Chapter1.lrf (509.8 KB, 881 views)
File Type: zip alice.zip (548.9 KB, 836 views)

Last edited by acidzebra; 07-28-2008 at 11:19 AM.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:47 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
interesting idea ! i don't have a sony so i won't be able to take a look, but i'd love to hear some reviews from other readers.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2008, 10:35 AM   #3
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would love some feedback on my proof-of-concept chapter too!

I could post the original HTML files too, if your device eats HTML and honors named anchors <a name="chapter 1">, hyperlinks to these named anchors and in addition accepts <p style="page-break-before: always"> as a valid page separator it should work... of course the page formatting will be off.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:44 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i can convert html to .imp, and my eb1150 does honor links and named anchors. so that could be a solution for me.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:51 AM   #5
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover

How does it handle page breaks, can you force them?
Advert
Old 07-28-2008, 10:56 AM   #6
zelda_pinwheel

yep.

(5 characters minimum...)
Old 07-28-2008, 11:20 AM   #7
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover

Okay, zip file with used images and html file added to first post

Remember, it is only one chapter.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:19 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Very well done. Quite nice to see some interactive fiction.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:36 PM   #9
zelda_pinwheel

sorry i took so long !! i got distracted... but here's the imp version of your chapter in case anyone else is interested. (it can be viewed on a pc with an emulator which is available as part of the GEB Librarian or ETI's eBook Publisher programs, both of it which are free downloads).

it works great !! lots of fun. you should do more.

some of your pages are longer than one page (i'm not sure if they fit on one page in lrf format) but since the forced page breaks work this is not a problem.

nice work !
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: imp alice_interactive.imp (497.8 KB, 825 views)
Old 08-04-2008, 08:49 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Zelda, would you mind moving this to the IMP upload section please?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:23 PM   #11
el.astrologo
Groupie
el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-700BC
Thank you so much for this! I was looking for some IF for the Sony Reader and you proved it possible
Do you continue to work on things like this? Have you made any others?
el.astrologo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:42 PM   #12
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Any updates?

Also, here's a link to the "LoneWolf" interactive fiction books that would be cool to convert for the PRS.
http://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Books
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote