Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-09-2018, 05:05 PM   #1
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Is the inverted text better for your eyes?

Is reading on the Oasis 7” with white text on the black background actually better for your eyes?

I’ve set mine to this all this week, as I’m testing out kcladyz's observation that she gets better battery life this way.

Is it as good for your eyes as reading using the 'comfort light' on other readers? Or is there still blue light reaching your eyes?
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:08 PM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
This is not something any one can answer but You.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:12 PM   #3
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
I was hoping someone that knows something about the physics/properties of light waves would be able to help with a scientific answer.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:09 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
I was hoping someone that knows something about the physics/properties of light waves would be able to help with a scientific answer.
At the same light brightness setting, inverted mode will send much less light to your eyes, so the amount of blue light will also be much less.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:31 PM   #5
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
I thought I'd like the inverted reading mode, but haven't used it much. When reading in the dark, there is something about E-ink flashing from dark to light for each page turn that is briefly uncomfortable for me. I guess if your eyes are adjusted to the lower levels of the black page, then that glimpse of the white page is a bit like an oncoming car at night.

I do sometimes like the dark mode on an iPad, but of course that stays dark the whole time.
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:44 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
I thought I'd like the inverted reading mode, but haven't used it much. When reading in the dark, there is something about E-ink flashing from dark to light for each page turn that is briefly uncomfortable for me. I guess if your eyes are adjusted to the lower levels of the black page, then that glimpse of the white page is a bit like an oncoming car at night.

I do sometimes like the dark mode on an iPad, but of course that stays dark the whole time.
Do you have your Oasis set to refresh every page? The other setting seems to be Once per chapter and after illustrations. Even a single flash is too much for me, so I don't use invert mode myself.

Little black dribbles from deferred refresh bother me a lot, but the Oasis is much improved and I don't notice any.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:31 PM   #7
Gronk
Zealot
Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, PW2, Sony PRS 950, 350
I'd really like to try inverted text but my Oasis doesn't have it.
Gronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:57 PM   #8
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I tried reading with the white on black text and didn't like it. So I switched back. I did try leaving the inverted text on when I closed my Oasis 2 with the cover, like kcladyz was trying but it didn't help with my battery unfortunately. I do believe her if she says she gets better battery life from doing that. You may have better results too. I'm borderline awful with my battery usage anyway.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:14 PM   #9
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronk View Post
I'd really like to try inverted text but my Oasis doesn't have it.
Only the 2017 Oasis with the 7" screen has it. It is hidden under

Settings -> All Settings -> Accessibility -> Invert Black and White
Old 10-09-2018, 08:23 PM   #10
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I'm not a fan. I tried it on my Oasis but found, in a dark room, it reduced the contrast too much. I turned the lighting up brighter, which didn't help.

On a backlit device the white text, even with the screen light turned way down, the letters were like little shards of light. Not pleasant at all, it was very hard on my eyes.

I should mention, when I read in bed, I take my glasses off, and hold the device about 7" from my eyes. I'm sure that has something to do with my dislike of inverted text.

The only time I've found inverted text to be a benefit is if I'm using my iPad mini or my iPhone in a bright place, like in the sun or under a bright overhead light.
Deskisamess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:07 PM   #11
Gronk
Zealot
Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, PW2, Sony PRS 950, 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Only the 2017 Oasis with the 7" screen has it. It is hidden under

Settings -> All Settings -> Accessibility -> Invert Black and White
It's not there either. Thanks though. Mine was advertised as 8th generation, whatever that means.
Gronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:40 PM   #12
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Unfortunately when I turn my inverted mode on, my Oasis insists on turning the light on minimum up so high that it is unusable bright. In the dark it looks more like grey and nowhere close to black. So I settled for regular mode with light at 1.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:36 AM   #13
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
We got the answer years ago when all books switched to black paper with white print. That pretty well settled it.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:26 AM   #14
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Do you have your Oasis set to refresh every page? The other setting seems to be Once per chapter and after illustrations. Even a single flash is too much for me, so I don't use invert mode myself.
True... I do have it set to full refresh, and it may be better with that setting off.

Another annoying thing with the inverted text page turns (on full refresh) is that it seems to quickly render the page in standard black-on-white before inverting to white-on-black. It feels... glitchy.
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:44 PM   #15
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I would think it depends on ones eyes. I tried it, but after like 5 minutes, my eyes start watering from straining. The white letters just "floating" around on the black screen. Its not comfortable for me at all. And yes, I tried different light setting. Didn't make a difference. It just kind of "dissolves" the straight line of sentences. For lack of better way explaining that.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote