Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-09-2018, 08:32 AM   #436
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've only just started experimenting with the rice cooker function. Based on my initial results, I would suggest using slightly less liquid than the rice would call for on the stove top, maybe 25% less. As long as that liquid is a half a cup or more, you should be fine in the IP.
Cook right in the pot.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:10 PM   #437
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I've only just started experimenting with the rice cooker function. Based on my initial results, I would suggest using slightly less liquid than the rice would call for on the stove top, maybe 25% less. As long as that liquid is a half a cup or more, you should be fine in the IP.
Cook right in the pot.
When I cook rice it always wants to stick on the bottom of the pot. How do you stop that?
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:01 PM   #438
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
When I cook rice it always wants to stick on the bottom of the pot. How do you stop that?
I've only tried it a couple times so far, but haven't had that problem. The rice mode is supposedly moisture sensor controlled, so theoretically it should stop cooking before the bottom is dry and the rice cooks onto it.

Of course, going by the interwebs, plenty of people eschew the rice mode and set the pressure cooking setting manually for rice, so apparently some folks feel they can do better than the rice mode.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:20 PM   #439
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Can someone tell me a got place to get an instant pot that is not amazon? QVC has one at a good price at monthly payments but it will not ship for a month
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:59 PM   #440
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I gave up and bought a different model. can these recipies be used with other pressure cookers?
Old 03-26-2018, 09:39 AM   #441
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I gave up and bought a different model. can these recipies be used with other pressure cookers?
I can't speak to every recipe here, but my IP experience is that any PC recipe works with pretty much any pressure cooker. So, yes, with reservations--some things like yogurt are probably IP-specific, as the IP has a setting and process specifically for that.

Now, if I could just figure out how to make ice cream with it.... :-)

Hitch
Hitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 03:23 PM   #442
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Now, if I could just figure out how to make ice cream with it.... :-)
Fill the space between the steel pot and the outer unit with water and salt.
Freeze thoroughly.
Fill the pot halfway with cream,milk sugar and flavoring.
Seal the lid and kick the entire thing around your house for 20-30 minutes.

You can only make this recipe once.

Disclaimer: This is a joke. Don't do any of that.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:30 PM   #443
HLS
Wizard

I decided to cancel my order for the PC and went to Target and found an instant pot. I am excited to try it. I am an epic fail at cooking so I hpe this will solve that lol
Old 03-26-2018, 09:32 PM   #444
ApK

Quote:
I. I am an epic fail at cooking so I hpe this will solve that lol
It doesn't cook for you any more than an oven cooks for you, so it's not going to SOLVE that for you.
It does reduce the need for attention to several variables when following a recipe, so it might HELP, though.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:37 PM   #445
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Fill the space between the steel pot and the outer unit with water and salt.
Freeze thoroughly.
Fill the pot halfway with cream,milk sugar and flavoring.
Seal the lid and kick the entire thing around your house for 20-30 minutes.

You can only make this recipe once.

Disclaimer: This is a joke. Don't do any of that.
snort. If anyone doesn't know that's a joke...

Quote:
I decided to cancel my order for the PC and went to Target and found an instant pot. I am excited to try it. I am an epic fail at cooking so I hpe this will solve that lol
Well...as APK notes, below:

Quote:
It doesn't cook for you any more than an oven cooks for you, so it's not going to SOLVE that for you.
It does reduce the need for attention to several variables when following a recipe, so it might HELP, though.
Learning to cook is one of those things where it helps if you have a "cooking" mom, someone who can teach you the fundies. (Fundamentals). BUT, even if you are starting from total scratch, you can learn a lot without killing yourself or poisoning your family. (LOL).

There are a crapload of IP cookbooks out there. The good thing about most is that they focus on the sort-of crockpot type of use--throw in X+Y ingredients, set the time, and eat.

You might want to start out with simpler/easier dishes, and see how those go.

May I ask, what type of foods do you like? Or your family, if there is one?

Hitch
Old 04-07-2018, 09:55 PM   #446
HLS
Wizard

Lucky me I have no family. My mother cooked all day from scratch and her food was so good but I have not seen her since I was 10. She decided to wave all parental rights and move back to Germany. I at least can make kick ass chili with rice. I can no longer eat poultry on the most part for I feel like I am eating my parakeets distant cousins LOL
Old 05-25-2018, 07:32 PM   #447
HLS
Wizard

I made beef barley soup just now,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	33491853_10211440622561627_3937688186624409600_n.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	164107  
Old 05-25-2018, 07:34 PM   #448
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I made beef barley soup just now,
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhh, I LOVE Beef Barley soup! Can you send some? Looks positively divine.

Hitch
Old 11-22-2018, 06:50 PM   #449
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Huh! I saw that device, but thought it was just a pressure cooker. So I didn't bite. I'll listen in here, for a while, to see what all it's used for. Then maybe I'll know, in time for the next sale.
My sister is trying to convince me and my Mom that we need this. It does pressure cooking, slow cooking and sauteing.

Eggs are easy to peel
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 07:54 PM   #450
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
My sister is trying to convince me and my Mom that we need this. It does pressure cooking, slow cooking and sauteing.

Eggs are easy to peel
Yup, it does a lot of everything. I have to confess, I've only had one not-great result with it, and that was the result of the operator, not the device. VERY handy, and terrific for those days when you've forgotten everything until the 11th hour.

Hitch