Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-30-2021, 12:05 PM   #1
megabyted
megabyted began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021
Kindle Paperwhite 2021 - update covers

Hi - I'm using Calibre 5.31.1 and a new 2021 Kindle Paperwhite that's running on firmware 5.14.0.1.

I transferred my entire library to the new device via USB, but upon transferring I realized there are a few covers that could use updating/upgrading. So in Calibre, I updated those covers in the metadata. And again, the books already exist on the Kindle. I thought updating them in Calibre might automatically update them on the device but that does not seem to be the case (despite connecting and disconnecting, Wifi on/off, etc).

So the next step I did was once the Kindle was connected to Calibre, I went to the Device panel. When I scrolled through some of the books whose covers I'd updated in my library - I could see the old covers in the device pane. From there, I'd click Match Book To Library - and the cover seemed to update in the Device pain. And just to be sure, I clicked "update cached metadata on device" as well, and let that process (quickly finish). Now, in the Device pane, I see all the new covers I'd updated in my Calibre library.

However, once I disconnect the Kindle - none of those cover adjustments seem to have happened. Any idea why? If I reconnect the Kindle and look in the amazon-cover-bug folder, I can confirm that it's still the old, non-updated covers in there - it doesn't seem as though Calibre has replaced them with their updated versions.

Is there a step I'm missing? Anything I'm doing wrong? I guess I could delete the books in question from Kindle and re-add via Calibre - but I was hoping that updating covers in Calibre would eventually get them to the Kindle as described above.

Any advice would be appreciated!
megabyted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 01:15 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
My understanding is that when you send a book to a Kindle from calibre it also sends a copy of the cover as it exists at that time to a separate folder. That is used to fix missing cover thumbnails when reconnected to calibre. You need to resend the book to update the cover.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2021, 06:14 PM   #3
megabyted

Okay - that sounds simple enough and I hadn't thought to do that.

Will sending it to the device again overwrite the file/cover currently on the device, or will it duplicate it so there would be the original file with the old cover PLUS a separate new ebook file with a new cover..?

If sending it again won't just overwrite/replace the cover - does that mean I need to delete all my original books from the device as a first step..?

Thanks!
Old 10-30-2021, 09:30 PM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
It will replace the original book as long as you haven’t changed the title or author.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:53 PM   #5
sucah
Connoisseur
sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK 3G, KT 3G, KPW, Odyssey HD, T1, 350, Glo, Mini, Aura HD, KPW2 3G
I am usually remove books that I need to replace first using Calibre, and after that resend books with new information.
sucah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2021, 09:19 PM   #6
megabyted

Okay - all of the above was a success, except I've lost all my page numbers on my Kindle.

I'd successfully converted everything from EPUB to KFX and then sent it all to my new Kindle Paperwhite (2021). Everything looks great, apart from those missing page numbers. I do see in the Output section that I had not selected to "Create Approximate Page Numbers." I can set that after the fact - but do I need to reconvert all of those files, and then re-send them to my device..?

I'm trying to understand if there's an easy work around to add page numbers to existing files (both local on computer and onto device upon re-connect) but I don't totally get what I'm meant to do here... I know there's an Embed Metadata option but I don't understand how it all ties together... Do I need to delete everything from Kindle, reconvert w/ the page count option selected, then resend the whole library, or..? Thanks!

Tags
calibre, covers, kindle, paperwhite, updating