Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-02-2021, 09:52 PM   #3886
redbeard1
redbeard1 began at the beginning.

Device: KDX
Thanks for the reply.
redbeard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:39 AM   #3887
HansDampf
HansDampf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Hello everybody,

I am not sure if anybody still reads this thread, but I will try:

I got out my Kindle 4 (no touch, no backlight, black housing). I jailbreaked the kindle a long time ago (only to have some fun via ssh+vnc viewer) and just got it out again for some reading.

I wanted to buy a new book from amazon, and noticed, that I am still on v4.1.1. So I tried to update the Kindle to v4.1.2 via the softwareupdate file from amazon. Sadly the process stops and the Error Code 'U007' is displayed in the bottom, left corner.

I tried different ways to update (different cable, check that the file is not broken, ...) but always received the U007. So I reseted the Kindle but still got the same result. I even jailbreaked the Kindle again (which works). Just for testing I tried to install any other update file (for example the screensaver mod, or the jailbreak uninstall file) but all update files which I start return the Error code 'U007'.

I've read about renaming /etc/uks to prevent updates. Since I was unsure if I ever did that, I logged the contents of /etc to a file via runme.sh while jailbreaking:

Code:
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           199 Apr 17  2012 asound.conf
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          1117 Apr 17  2012 asound.state
drwxrwxr-x    2 root     root          1024 Apr 17  2012 default
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          1128 Apr 17  2012 fstab
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           746 Apr 17  2012 getty-diags
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           272 Apr 17  2012 group
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            33 Jan  4  1970 guid
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root             7 Apr 17  2012 hostname
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            80 Apr 17  2012 hosts
drwxrwxr-x    2 root     root          1024 Apr 17  2012 init
drwxrwxr-x    2 root     root          1024 Apr 17  2012 init.d
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           830 Apr 17  2012 inittab
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          1180 Apr 17  2012 inputrc
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            22 Apr 17  2012 issue
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            18 Jan  4  1970 kdb -> /etc/kdb.src/yoshi
drwxrwxr-x    3 root     root          1024 Apr 17  2012 kdb.src
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            29 Apr 17  2012 ld.so.cache -> /var/local/system/ld.so.cache
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            14 Apr 17  2012 ld.so.conf
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            20 Apr 17  2012 localtime -> /var/local/system/tz
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          1035 Apr 17  2012 modprobe.conf
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root             5 Apr 17  2012 modules.conf
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           106 Apr 17  2012 modules.yoshi
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           285 Apr 17  2012 motd
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            12 Apr 17  2012 mtab -> /proc/mounts
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           429 Apr 17  2012 passwd
drwxrwxr-x    4 root     root          1024 Apr 17  2012 ppp
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            22 Apr 17  2012 prettyversion.txt
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           563 Apr 17  2012 profile
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          1191 Apr 17  2012 protocols
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           512 Apr 17  2012 random-seed
drwxrwxr-x    2 root     root          1024 Apr 17  2012 rc.d
drwxrwxr-x    2 root     root          1024 Apr 17  2012 rcS.d
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            20 Apr 17  2012 resolv.conf -> /var/run/resolv.conf
drwxrwxr-x    2 root     root          1024 Apr 17  2012 resolv.d
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           350 Mar 23  2015 shadow
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           371 Apr 17  2012 shadow-
drwxrwxr-x    2 root     root          1024 Apr 17  2012 sysconfig
drwxrwxr-x    2 root     root          1024 Apr 17  2012 syslog-ng
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           616 Apr 17  2012 tinyrot-files.conf
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           867 Apr 17  2012 tinyrot.conf
drwxrwxr-x    3 root     root          1024 Apr 17  2012 udev
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root          1024 Sep  7 16:28 uks
drwxrwxr-x    2 root     root          1024 Apr 17  2012 upstart
-rw-rw-r--    1 root     root            74 Apr 17  2012 version.txt
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            20 Jan  4  1970 xorg.conf -> /var/local/xorg.conf
But everything looks fine.

Is there anything else I could try?

Thank you very much!
HansDampf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 04:05 PM   #3888
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
@HansDampf
That error is when the update cannot verify system files.
Have you manually replaced things?
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 01:37 AM   #3889
HansDampf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
@HansDampf
That error is when the update cannot verify system files.
Have you manually replaced things?
Sadly I cannot remember. It don't think so, but of course it could be possible (I was definitely tinkering around with different hacks/tools in the past).

That's the reason why I though about /etc/uks, but it seems like the folder is intact.
Old 09-11-2021, 04:21 AM   #3890
HansDampf

Update: I installed dropbear via Diags and had a look around at the system but wasn't able to find out, what was missing. I didn't change anything 'massive' in the past for sure (was only interested in SSH+VNC to use it as a display), but I guess I installed some kind of 'Updates Block' to avoid loosing the jailbreak.

In the end I needed some hours to make Kubrick work (see my post there: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=1202). But I was able to reinstall the kindle and install all updates + jailbreak it again.

I guess this device is simple turning a bit old, and many people in this forum (which did great work on all kind of kindle software) already left or don't support K4NT anymore (sadly found many dead links on my journey to repair this device).

Still, thank you all!
Old 09-17-2021, 11:41 PM   #3891
Scootz
Love Python, and Docker.
Scootz began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard 3w (B008), kindle paperwhite 2 (90D4)
Still some quiet folks here following; I have a OG kindle with keyboard and I stick around listening for news/updates.

Thanks for updating your question with the resolution.
Scootz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 06:49 AM   #3892
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
I've been trying to make my screensaver the cover of my current read, and failing miserably. I follow the directions above, create blank cover.txt file and place in in linkss folder and I get nothing. I tried putting in in screensavers folder. Nothing. I had no success with using CMD to create a blank folder. Help! I'd like to remember what I'm reading!
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 11:03 AM   #3893
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
cover.txt
Wrong. It should have *no* extension.

TL;DR: Use the KUAL extension to do that, it'll save you from crap OS trickery.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 02:45 PM   #3894
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am completely lost. What do I with Kual, and how can a file have no suffix? maybe this is out of my league...
Old 11-14-2021, 06:16 PM   #3895
montalex
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Wrong. It should have *no* extension.

TL;DR: Use the KUAL extension to do that, it'll save you from crap OS trickery.
Can I just delete .txt? Will that file named "cover" with no extension work as a blank file to call up my current book's cover??
Old 01-07-2022, 10:17 AM   #3896
Methanoid
Methanoid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
In recent years my reliable Kindle SS hack becomes less so. I wonder if its my source books but every one is processed through Calibre and I would be surprised if Calibre doesnt present compatible title pages.

Q: I am stuck on "The ScreenSavers hack is currently in "cover" mode but hasn't yet successfully processed a book cover.

Have waited on all sorts of status and rebooted but clearly I am a numpty OR Calibre is not processing and presenting compatible covers?

Some help please? This is the only reason I jailbreak a Kindle as I like my screen to reflect my current read. Only hack I use!

Kindle 4

Last edited by Methanoid; 01-07-2022 at 10:22 AM.
Methanoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 11:33 AM   #3897
Sol Arkite
Zealot
Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: KV; PW3 ; PW2 ; k5; KT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid View Post
Q: I am stuck on "The ScreenSavers hack is currently in "cover" mode but hasn't yet successfully processed a book cover.

Kindle 4
What FW do you use? The more recent FWs have native screensaver options. I have held on to earlier FW versions when possible such as 5.10.x. That don’t have native screensaver options. I also was having poor success with the screensaver hack.
In this case I have been using the KOREADER hack which supports a screensaver with better success and variety of options for screensavers. Maybe that might satisfy your needs?
Sol Arkite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 11:42 AM   #3898
ThatJackElliott
ThatJackElliott began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Where do I download USBNetwork hack?

Hi all, a lot of fascinating stuff here. I'm just trying to get the usbnetwork hack on my ancient Kindle 3w, and am not having luck finding a download for the file. Can someone point me to it? Thank you!
ThatJackElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 11:48 AM   #3899
Methanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Arkite View Post
What FW do you use? The more recent FWs have native screensaver options. I have held on to earlier FW versions when possible such as 5.10.x. That don’t have native screensaver options. I also was having poor success with the screensaver hack.
In this case I have been using the KOREADER hack which supports a screensaver with better success and variety of options for screensavers. Maybe that might satisfy your needs?
Thanks for the reply

Not sure.. its an old FW for sure (will check). Do you know how the new FW with native screensavers work (ie does it give me the book cover of the one I am reading)? if so, thats me happy and sorted

If not can U link me to KOREADER and will read up on that.
Old 01-09-2022, 06:18 AM   #3900
Methanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid View Post
Thanks for the reply

Not sure.. its an old FW for sure (will check). Do you know how the new FW with native screensavers work (ie does it give me the book cover of the one I am reading)? if so, thats me happy and sorted

If not can U link me to KOREADER and will read up on that.
Nevermind.. I see its only latest devices that do the S/Saver. My Kindle is a 4.1.4 FW and jailbroken years ago.

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet