Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-07-2020, 02:22 PM   #1
leokennis
leokennis began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Question Font shows up as four fonts

Hi,

I use several third party fonts on my Kobo Clara HD without issue.

Today I downloaded a font in OTF format. I used Cloudconvert.com to convert the OTF files to TTF. Then I gave them the familiar names: FontName-Regular, Italic, Bold and BoldItalic.

Now when I go to my font menu, this font shows as four fonts: FontName-Book (?), BookItalic, Bold and BoldItalic.

Is there anything I did wrong? Any idea what I could do to fix it?
leokennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 02:50 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Did you change the name of the font in the font or did you just rename the font?

ChareInk-Regular.ttf
ChareInk-Italic.ttf
ChareInk-BoldItalic.ttf
ChareInk-Bold.ttf

That's the filenames for the font ChareInk. If yours are different, you'll need to rename them and then reboot.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-07-2020 at 02:53 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 03:23 PM   #3
leokennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Did you change the name of the font in the font or did you just rename the font?

ChareInk-Regular.ttf
ChareInk-Italic.ttf
ChareInk-BoldItalic.ttf
ChareInk-Bold.ttf

That's the filenames for the font ChareInk. If yours are different, you'll need to rename them and then reboot.
I have these exact names (different font name):

And this shows up on my Kobo:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ks6rzr5.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	867.4 KB
ID:	178163

Last edited by issybird; 04-07-2020 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Oversized image thumbnailed.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:31 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by leokennis View Post
I have these exact names (different font name):

And this shows up on my Kobo:
Changing the filenames in the OS is not sufficient on it's own. It's also the internal font name you need to change in each of the those 4 files. You'll need a font editor (e.g. FontForge or TTFEdit) to do that.

Your first image is too small to read any detail but based on the second image it looks like you need to change the internal name to PensumPro in each then also change the external filenames to:
PensumPro-Regular.ttf (or PensumPro.ttf)
PensumPro-Italic.ttf
PensumPro-BoldItalic.ttf
PensumPro-Bold.ttf
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 02:41 AM   #5
leokennis

Talking

Thanks, I didn't know that but it worked!

For reference and others looking at this thread, in all 4 TTF files I made these changes using FontForge:

Old

New

So in FontForge:
  1. Open your font file
  2. Go to Element > Font Info...
  3. Change the Family Name and Name For Humans to the same thing for all 4 font files
  4. Go to File> Generate Fonts
  5. Save as TrueType, Overwrite the original font file and ignore any warnings
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pensum-Original.png
Views:	151
Size:	494.8 KB
ID:	178165   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pensum-Changed.png
Views:	163
Size:	496.0 KB
ID:	178166  
Old 04-08-2020, 05:48 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Weight for bold should be bold and not book.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:08 AM   #7
leokennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Weight for bold should be bold and not book.
Sound logical, but this is how the fonts were when I downloaded them.

I guess for Kobo it's enough if the Family Name/Name For Humans is the same for all .TTF files (so it can group them as one font), and if their names are Regular, Italic, Bold and BoldItalic (so it knows what TTF to pick for regular, bold etc. text)?
Old 04-08-2020, 12:06 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Depending on the renderer (ACCESS/RMSDK), the PS Weight and/or Panose Weights being sane is *also* highly recommended to avoid breakage.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:46 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by leokennis View Post
Sound logical, but this is how the fonts were when I downloaded them.

I guess for Kobo it's enough if the Family Name/Name For Humans is the same for all .TTF files (so it can group them as one font), and if their names are Regular, Italic, Bold and BoldItalic (so it knows what TTF to pick for regular, bold etc. text)?
Bookerly has a problem with it's metadata. Just because it's how you found the font doesn't mean it's correct. Given that you have a font editor, I suggest fixing it.

Tags
font