Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-22-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
bo-kai
bo-kai began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, PRS-650
wikipedia

Can I somehow download all wikipedia content and browse through it on my PRS-650? Any ideas?
bo-kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:10 AM   #2
pikelet
girl from oz
pikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-300, Cybook Gen3
This thread might help.

I put an epub made from the 2006 SOS Children Wikipedia version on my 650, but it's a bit too large to be useful: when I tried to search for some text, my reader hung and I had to reset it.
pikelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 09:59 AM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, bo-kai.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:09 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo-kai View Post
Can I somehow download all wikipedia content and browse through it on my PRS-650? Any ideas?
I remember that several sources provided the entire Wikipedia in ebook formats several years ago before ebook readers became popular. In other words, people still read on PDAs. But I suspect that Wikipedia is now way too large to include the entire site on any reader, unless you could manage to strip out all the images. And even then it would be a huge undertaking. And if you somehow managed to get this into a single book it would be too large for the reader to open without locking up. You would have to divide it into hundreds of books, I think.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-23-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:32 PM   #5
hahahut
hahahut began at the beginning.

Device: SONY READER PRS-600
It would be good for wikipedia to provide download in epub format. It is already doing PDF and epub should be easier considering it is similar to HTML. I tried to find the right place on wikipedia for new feature request. But it seems to be quite complicated to put request now. Anyone familiar with the wikipedia community knows what is the right way of doing it?
hahahut is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert