Notices

Old 06-24-2010, 10:54 AM   #1
thomasmorus
Connoisseur
thomasmorus began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Anybody programming a Calibre APPS???

Hello all you great programmers out there

All the people are speaking about IBooks, some about other bookreaders for the Ipad.

I bought an Ipad about a week ago, since then I am experimenting with different Book readers. I have about 3000 books in calibre and i would really like to get A L L my information (and a tab for book read) from Calibe to my reading device and also to be able to sort/serch my books in differnt ways.

Therefore I am Asking all of our programmers - Is there one out there to programm a APPS that works with Calibre???
The data transfer could run through Itunes like now or through the same prozess used by Stanza. Calibre allready has a Server so why not use it - and trnasfer all the information including comments, tags, series, series numbers and so on!!!

I would be quit willing to pay a few € for this Apps.

Thanks and maybe sombody start with this

Best regards

Thomas

P.S. I am not good enough to do this myself
thomasmorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:11 AM   #2
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Calibre 0.7x has an Apple driver that supports the iPad. Start iTunes, plug in your iPad, calibre will recognize it.

If calibre doesn't see your connected iPad, see 'Calibre 0.7 + iPad: Start here' in the calibre forum for help.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2010, 11:27 AM   #3
thomasmorus
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
Calibre 0.7x has an Apple driver that supports the iPad. Start iTunes, plug in your iPad, calibre will recognize it.

If calibre doesn't see your connected iPad, see 'Calibre 0.7 + iPad: Start here' in the calibre forum for help.

G
Hello GRiker

I know that Calibre has an Apple Driver, but i do not see the iBooks apps as a really good Apps to handle a larger amount of books, aditonally a lot of Information from Calibre is not transfered.

I am really looking forward to an apps whcih can handle alle the information gathered in Calibre, and use this information for Sort/find

Thanks

Thomas
Old 06-24-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can use Stanza with calibre's content server if you don't like iBooks.

You can find instructions here.

G
Old 06-24-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
None of the major ebook reading apps take much consideration for book organization beyond the most rudimentary. Stanza is probably the most capable in that regard and even that could use some work.

iBooks does take the a calibre 'tag' field and you can use that to sort collections/series.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
GRiker

As of 0.7.5, calibre also offers the option of using the Series name as the Genre.

G
Old 06-24-2010, 12:16 PM   #7
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasmorus View Post
Therefore I am Asking all of our programmers - Is there one out there to programm a APPS that works with Calibre???
The data transfer could run through Itunes like now or through the same prozess used by Stanza. Calibre allready has a Server so why not use it - and trnasfer all the information including comments, tags, series, series numbers and so on!!!
From a programmer's perspective, the problem with trying to create an app that maintains Calibre metadata but can transfer files through iTunes is that I'm guessing a lot of Calibre metadata is not stored in the actual book file but rather in some form of database. Calibre must conform to file format standards and so cannot just add its own metadata into book files. In other words, you can't simply have an app that accepts files through iTunes and maintains Calibre metadata.

A Calibre-specific reader app would have to talk to Calibre directly. The Calibre server could potentially be used for syncing books with metadata. Anyone who writes such an app would need:
1) Permission from the makers of Calibre
2) Want to make it for free (charging money may be a problem... would need permission from Calibre and potentially all the software devs that Calibre uses (like ImageMagick))
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:06 AM   #8
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilman View Post
From a programmer's perspective, the problem with trying to create an app that maintains Calibre metadata but can transfer files through iTunes is that I'm guessing a lot of Calibre metadata is not stored in the actual book file but rather in some form of database. Calibre must conform to file format standards and so cannot just add its own metadata into book files. In other words, you can't simply have an app that accepts files through iTunes and maintains Calibre metadata.

A Calibre-specific reader app would have to talk to Calibre directly. The Calibre server could potentially be used for syncing books with metadata. Anyone who writes such an app would need:
1) Permission from the makers of Calibre
2) Want to make it for free (charging money may be a problem... would need permission from Calibre and potentially all the software devs that Calibre uses (like ImageMagick))
Calibre is GPL-2. They don't need permission from the author. It would be illegal to sell it without providing the source.

The best way to provide what the OP is requesting would probably be to extend the pre-existing webserver to serve more data. Although, I am personally happy with that which is displayed in Stanza.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:46 AM   #9
thomasmorus
Connoisseur

Smile Stanza can do??

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
Calibre is GPL-2. They don't need permission from the author. It would be illegal to sell it without providing the source.

The best way to provide what the OP is requesting would probably be to extend the pre-existing webserver to serve more data. Although, I am personally happy with that which is displayed in Stanza.
Hello Nikkie

I am also quite happy about the data/sorting provided through Stanza and Calibre Server! But these are only shown when connected to the calibre server: Now If I could dowload this data in groups or all together and have the same information availabele when not connected to the server

THAT would be What I am Looking For !!

Thomas
Old 06-25-2010, 08:56 AM   #10
GRiker

You can use calibre's catalog builder to create an epub catalog of your entire library which you can then send to your iPad. See 'Creating catalogs' in the calibre forum.

G

Tags
apps, calibre, ipad