Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats > LRF

Notices

Old 10-28-2006, 05:07 PM   #16
Sam
Sam began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Looks like I have HTMLdoc now in place. But the third line in options, what do you put in the output path? Is that where the formed PDF will appear- on the desktop? Or something else?
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 05:37 PM   #17
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
Yes, that is the output path on your desktop where you want the file to go.
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2006, 05:59 PM   #18
Sam

I think it's working now, just want to do some more tests. It came up as an HTML, now I'm testing it as a PDF.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:06 PM   #19
Sam

I'm not doing something right. HTML worked fine- landed on the desktop. But PDF won't come. It seems the program freezes for a few seconds, like it's working hard, but then it doesn't come.

No wonder! The HTMLdoc wants a license number. Back to square one, finding an open source HTMLdoc that I can figure out how to assemble...
Old 10-28-2006, 08:26 PM   #20
heavyB
heavyB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader/Treo 600
It wasn't easy finding those pre-compiled open source binaries for HTMLdoc. I found again where I got mine. Works the same that I can tell as the commercial version, only the graphical interfaces says "open source" instead of "commercial version".

http://users.tpg.com.au/naffall/htmldoc.html

Click the "HTMLDoc1.8.24.zip" link. I think you'll need to execute (double click) the "HtmlDoc.reg" file to regeister the app with windows. You may also need to edit that .reg file for the path you unzipped this download to. Follow the instructions on the website above.

Last edited by heavyB; 10-28-2006 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Added more info about the .reg file
heavyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2006, 11:03 PM   #21
neilm2
Enthusiast
neilm2 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Sony Reader
I had a similar issue with html working but not the pdfs. Then I installed the required dlls from here...

http://www.paehl.com/open_source/?HT...Source_Version

(you just download them from the above url and drag the dlls into your WINDOWS folder)
neilm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 03:04 AM   #22
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
This may be way off base, but would it make sense to keep the last n files or n days? Then a daily load with "keep 7 days" would give you anything that was generated within the last week. If the date was part of the filename, even better. And still better yet if only posts that haven't been downloaded are included in successive files.
I think that's fine. I've removed the date on the main form, and added two options, one for the N days, and one to specify whether to combine the feeds into a single file or split them out. I'm just working on getting the interop with the USB layer working now and then I will change the Go! button to Sync!
Old 10-29-2006, 08:22 AM   #23
lordvetinari2
Zealot
lordvetinari2 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi & Galaxy Note
Finally, I have been able to get a working version of HTMLDOC (paehl.com did it, thanks!), so now I can test your nearly-fantastic tool, geekraver.

It's perfect for English text. OWLRSS messes up RTF (posts as single paragraphs, no formatting, no images, no anything) and PDF (RTF problems + less reading space). Fortunately, rss2book keeps all original RSS format, generates a very useful TOC thanks to HTMLDOC, AND is optimized for the Reader. What more could I possibly ask? Read on...

Non-English text looks corrupt, though. See El País and El Mundo, the two most important newspapers in Spain. Both websites and RSS feeds are in ISO-8859-15. (Please find attached the resulting HTML file from those two feeds).

Rss2book seems to corrupt perfectly good ISO-8859-15 characters, and the resulting HTML can only be correctly viewed in Firefox if UTF-8 is chosen. Specifying UTF-8 in a HTML metadata fixes the HTML, BUT HTMLDOC is non-compatible with any kind of Unicode, so I'm screwed.

For now, I will try to clean UTF-8 back into ISO (with some automatic tool, I hope), and see what happens.
Attached Files
File Type: zip rss2book.zip (4.1 KB, 920 views)
lordvetinari2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:41 AM   #24
Sam

I'm sorry, can you give me more explicit instructions on where to place the DLL files? I assume you mean Program Files -> HTMLdoc -> there in the main folder? If anywhere more obscure than that, please inform. Thanks!
Old 10-29-2006, 09:46 AM   #25
lordvetinari2
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
I'm sorry, can you give me more explicit instructions on where to place the DLL files? I assume you mean Program Files -> HTMLdoc -> there in the main folder? If anywhere more obscure than that, please inform. Thanks!
At the Windows folder.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:20 PM   #26
huari
Enthusiast
huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle me, Sony Reader missus
Thanks to all and recap

Thank you, thank you
I got the rss2Book working and htmldoc to work too!

Here's a recap:
The binary I used for htmldoc 1.825 was here: http://www.paehl.com/open_source/?HT...Source_Version

download, unzip and double click set-up to install
Then I got the 2 required dlls as compressed files: libssl and msvcrtd
when uncompressed you get 3 files:
ssleay32.dll
libeay32.dll
msvcrtd.dll
unzip and copy or move them (3 dll files altogether) to the C:\WINDOWS folder

Open up Rss2Book/options and set your htmldoc location. Mine was C:\Program Files\HTMLDOC
I set my output path to the desktop and accepted the default format settings.

Add feeds and click go!
After you get your rssPDF, drag it over the Connect software to upload to the Reader.

My firewall ZoneAlarm alerted that htmldoc needed to access the internet, I allowed that and the program converted the rss2pdf, complete with big font and TOC.

I also tried just converting to html and using a PDF driver I have called PDFFactory which creates PDFs with TOCs, which worked to but did not have the Big fonts that rss2PDF has. I would have to edit the html source which is a cumbersome step. Another thing I noticed is that if you set the rss2book date too early you might not get content or if you set it to an earlier date you get too much so be aware of the update frequency of your feeds.

Thank you again GeekRaver and all the other posters for your efforts and help.

It is good to be able to 'read' on the Reader and not be locked in waiting for Sony.
huari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 03:24 AM   #27
geekraver
Addict

New version posted (see first entry) that supports synching to the Reader. There are a bunch more options that should be checked under Tools - Options. Don't use this while you have the Sony COnnect software running (it will fail to load the Sony libraries in that case).

lordvetinari2, I'm not sure I can do too much about the fonts, due to htmldoc restrictions. I am stripping down to 7-bit clean fonts which will help some english sites look better, but doesn't help you.

Main other feature I'd still like to add would be RDF support.

Edit: I am now encoding the html in iso-8859-15, so things will look quite a bit better when using Spanish and other European languages.

Last edited by geekraver; 10-31-2006 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:35 AM   #28
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Maybe you should try generating native LRF files instead of PDF?
Here's a Java project which converts HTML to LRF: http://monalipse.sourceforge.jp/tmp/lrf/
Er nvm, I confused your project with RssOwl which is in Java...
Anyway, I will be releasing one thing soon which might help with LRF generation

Last edited by igorsk; 10-31-2006 at 02:00 PM.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 01:13 PM   #29
lordvetinari2
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekraver
New version posted (see first entry)
Sweet ISO! Thanks a bunch, this is 100% perfect for me now.
Maybe Russian and Chinese readers will not feel the same about this change, but since HTMLDOC does not support Unicode anyway...
Old 10-31-2006, 03:51 PM   #30
geekraver
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk
Maybe you should try generating native LRF files instead of PDF?
Here's a Java project which converts HTML to LRF: http://monalipse.sourceforge.jp/tmp/lrf/
Er nvm, I confused your project with RssOwl which is in Java...
Anyway, I will be releasing one thing soon which might help with LRF generation
I'm not sure I want to go down the path of a generalized html to lrf convertor, when using PDFs works and supports a richer output.