Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 04-03-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Experiences with EEE PC?

I've purchased a second-hand Eee PC 701, for using it in my bed instead of my 16-inch "laptop". While its main usage will be retro-gaming (emulation) and reading manga, I'd like to ask people about its possible use as an e-reader. Does the 7'' screen offer a good reading experience?

Assuming I'm installing a custom Linux distribution, which would be the best e-Reader program for it?

Thanks in advance
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
Assuming I'm installing a custom Linux distribution, which would be the best e-Reader program for it?
FBReader is your best option. It is designed for small screens, and is even used on some EInk devices. Note that it does not support DRM. Also, you typically need to play with the settings to get the best experience. FBReader is very customizable, but its defaults are not to everyone's liking.

Otherwise, several Windows ebook reading apps work OK via Wine. The one I have seen most often mentioned is eReader.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 09:34 AM   #3
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the information. I had installed FBReader... But now I've screwed up the computer mightily, and I'll have to restore it first. However, I'll see what FBReader can do for me.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:01 AM   #4
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Thanks for the information. I had installed FBReader... But now I've screwed up the computer mightily, and I'll have to restore it first. However, I'll see what FBReader can do for me.
Exactly my experience with Linux I had the 701 when it came out, and xp is great on it (fast and stable)...

I found the 701 great for reading at the time, except it can become hard to hold (depending on your position). The gateway I have now is pretty good, but I do not think the screen is as clear on it as it was on the 701..... perhaps I just have fond memories of the 701..... Also, retro gaming was great on it as well. All the emulators ran nice and was a blast to play..... From time to time you may run into issues because of the screen resolution, but other than that the 701 is a great little computer. I had the 4g model.......
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:07 AM   #5
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Which Linux distro are you using? I have used the original Linux that came on the 701, then XP Home, and now I have eeebunto on it.

A bit of advice concerning reading in bed with the 701. Since in uses an Intel processor it needs fan cooling, and all the air inlets are on the bottom of the 701, so you need keep some open air under it when using it.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 05:55 PM   #6
Logseman
Orisa

I botched the computer using ubuntueee (Easy Peasy) and now I'm torn between using Easy Peasy again (a second try, now only I'm wiser ), Ubuntu Netbook Remix or eeebuntu (it has to be Ubuntu because it carries the largest repository with the emulators I want).

However, incidentally I'm using Puppeee as a "system restore SO" and it happened to have FBReader. I like its performance, so if my new OS doesn't come with it I'll download it right away.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:53 PM   #7
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
Quote:
I botched the computer using ubuntueee (Easy Peasy) and now I'm torn between using Easy Peasy again (a second try, now only I'm wiser ), Ubuntu Netbook Remix or eeebuntu (it has to be Ubuntu because it carries the largest repository with the emulators I want).

However, incidentally I'm using Puppeee as a "system restore SO" and it happened to have FBReader. I like its performance, so if my new OS doesn't come with it I'll download it right away.
Don't want to confuse you but Jolicloud is worth a try too.

http://www.jolicloud.com/

Ran lovely on my EEE and was easy enough to add any repositories I needed since it's another ubuntu based.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:42 PM   #8
Logseman
Orisa

It sounds rather nice, as I like the webcloud concept and the ported webapps are seductive. However, since I intend to use it for emulating old consoles, Ubuntu is most fitting, for it carries the largest repository. So far I've found, in the Ubuntu repository, emulators for SNES, PSX and Nintendo 64 (now I'd like to see if they carry drivers for my Saitek P2600...maybe I'm greedy? ). I admit I'm not too much into compiling manually, and the little emulation programs seem to rough up the codewriting too much for a newbie like me.

Nevertheless, I'll keep in touch with the Jolicloud thing. Maybe when I win more experience with Linux I'll dare to come back, install the emulators manually and go on to the (truth be told) formidably well marketed experience. I can tell I like it already, mainly because the design of the website has compelled me.

@Bremen Cole: Give Linux a second chance, it won't let you down

BTW, what I did to restore it might be of use for others. I flashed into my USB a modified version of the Puppy distro, called Puppeee, which has the core advantage of being small enough to run only on RAM memory, not needing for its processes the help of my (in this case) non-working SSD. Using Puppeee's GUI for Gparted, I could reformat the SSD into something tolerable, and now I'm able to throw in whatever I want for the little bastard.

Last edited by Logseman; 04-05-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:34 AM   #9
Logseman
Orisa

A final update. Jolicloud ate all the pies :P

It carried many emulators and programs, and it works very well under my constrained screen size as well. It is staying. And now my laptop computer, hopefully, will not refuse to sport Kubuntu...
Old 04-19-2010, 08:55 AM   #10
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Quote:
Jolicloud, hm ? Never gave that a try. Stuck with EasyPeasy because it runs o.k. for all things I need.

By the way, I put even calibre on the eeepc 701 and the old linux-version runs fine. FBReader is on there too. But mostly I use it for quick browsing / mail at home (funny thing is: the old 701 has by far the best WLAN-Card in the house) or as a full grown laptop when away.
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:41 PM   #11
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
Quote:

It carried many emulators and programs, and it works very well under my constrained screen size as well. It is staying. And now my laptop computer, hopefully, will not refuse to sport Kubuntu...

Glad it's working for you, worked well for me whilst my eee was functioning. I am going to try it again soon but it doesn't officially support my current netbook so I need time to hack around a little. It's a damn fine distro for netbooks though even in it's beta state.

EDIT: You'll probably want to add the FBReader repository to get the latest version, I remember having to do that as it was stuck on an earlier version in the standard repositories.

Last edited by weateallthepies; 04-19-2010 at 12:47 PM.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote