Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 02-23-2010, 07:50 AM   #1
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
fb2 gets better by the day

Anyone else enjoying fb2. In fact it is making me rethink epub... even though everyone tells me epub is the wave of te future.... The options for fb2 are excellent for the average reader. For me being able to set the screen in any of the four directions (obvious to me for ergonomic reasons and differences of holding devices) is enough of a reason to love fb2.

any other fb2 supporters... are there any downsides to fb2???????
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:17 PM   #2
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
All I have heard is good on FB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Anyone else enjoying fb2. In fact it is making me rethink epub... even though everyone tells me epub is the wave of te future.... The options for fb2 are excellent for the average reader. For me being able to set the screen in any of the four directions (obvious to me for ergonomic reasons and differences of holding devices) is enough of a reason to love fb2.

Dear Hidari:

Others can be more specific but I have only heard a lot of love for FB2 on the Pocket PRO. In a new thread today I mentioned that a new firmware upgrade is coming which, amongst other things, will install the latest version of FB2. You can thank Dale for telling me that it was getting a bit old.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2010, 01:44 PM   #3
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
It is the only format that I read on the PocketPRO, although I use the Lbook firmware with the more modern CoolReader for FB2. I don't have much use for the ADE used to read EPUB on the PocketPRO. CoolReader has much better support for different fonts and font sizes, and a better page counting algorithm IMHO. FB2 seems to be an elegantly simple text only ebook format, and it is one of the most compact when it is ZIPed. Every time I build a new book the ZIPed FB2 comes out smaller than the EPUB. CoolReader will automatically open the ZIP file on the reader.The main drawback to FB2 is that book sellers do not seem to sell books in the FB2 format, so you usually need to be able to do your own conversions.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Am I the only one who doesn't know what fb2 is? The first time I saw someone post something about it, I thought it had something to do with Face Book. *lol*
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davimee View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't know what fb2 is? The first time I saw someone post something about it, I thought it had something to do with Face Book. *lol*

There are probably a WHOLE LOT more people that DO NOT know about it than there are people that do know about it, since it is nearly impossible to find books sold in that format. It is a great format if you like to build or rebuild your own books though. The BookDesigner program makes a pretty good FB2 formatted book, and the book can be easily tweaked further using just a simple text editor.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FictionBook
Advert
Old 02-23-2010, 02:17 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Am I the only one who doesn't know what fb2 is?
See Wiki: FB2.

FB2 (an ebook format) is often confused with FBReader (reading software that reads FB2 and many other formats). On the EZ Reader's FB2 is actually read using CoolReader software.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:25 PM   #7
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Dave_S, thanks for the explanation, and the link!
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:00 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
As always our wiki is your friend FB2.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:09 PM   #9
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post

There are probably a WHOLE LOT more people that DO NOT know about it than there are people that do know about it, since it is nearly impossible to find books sold in that format. It is a great format if you like to build or rebuild your own books though. The BookDesigner program makes a pretty good FB2 formatted book, and the book can be easily tweaked further using just a simple text editor.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FictionBook

Ta for the info. I use Calibre...seems to convert well to fb2. I still like epub, but have mixed my collection with more and more fb2 over the days. do you know what will be new in the FB2 update?
Old 02-23-2010, 08:51 PM   #10
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Only know they are going current

Quote:
Ta for the info. I use Calibre...seems to convert well to fb2. I still like epub, but have mixed my collection with more and more fb2 over the days. do you know what will be new in the FB2 update?
Dear Hidari:

I only know that the FB2 on the Pocket PRO is about 17 months old and there is a new version. They will go to the new version so it will be current. I do not know the differences between the older version and this new one. But, I would think it will make it work even better.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:37 AM   #11
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
The FictionBook format has been at version 2.2 for a while now, so there is no change in the FB2 format itself. However, the CoolReader program has gone from version 2 to version 3, so if Astak releases new firmware with CoolReader version 3.x then all the new CoolReader features will be available, including the ability to read EPUB. You can see a summary of CoolReader 3 features on the MobileRead wiki.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:55 AM   #12
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
As Dave_S said, the FB2 format is at v2.2. That in itself isn't being changed, just the reading software. Currently (for me) I can not open fb2 files with embedded pics or links, but was successful opening those files using the LBook firmware (far later version of the FB2 viewer). So hopefully little bugs like that will be sorted out.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:48 AM   #13
hidari
MR Drone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
The FictionBook format has been at version 2.2 for a while now, so there is no change in the FB2 format itself. However, the CoolReader program has gone from version 2 to version 3, so if Astak releases new firmware with CoolReader version 3.x then all the new CoolReader features will be available, including the ability to read EPUB. You can see a summary of CoolReader 3 features on the MobileRead wiki.
Hope it goes in that direction...then.... I would be most satisfied....
Old 02-24-2010, 06:53 AM   #14
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Nope, you're not the only one. I did read what FB2 was, but I have never seen a book in that format. And when I converted one of my books using Calibre, it wouldn't open.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:23 AM   #15
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Nope, you're not the only one. I did read what FB2 was, but I have never seen a book in that format. And when I converted one of my books using Calibre, it wouldn't open.
I have not used Calibre for quite a while, but when I did use it, it was far from being the best way of generating an FB2 book file. It might be a lot better now? For FB2 generation, OOoFBTools for OpenOffice, or BookDesigner are OK for generating FB2 book files.