Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats

Notices

Old 01-04-2010, 01:09 PM   #1
dpayment
Connoisseur
dpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enough

Device: PocketBook Pro 902, EB-1150, PRS505, PRS700, Jetbook, Hanlin V3, Kobo
Question removing ebooks with the same content but in different formats

I've now got a couple of thousand ebooks on my computer, many of which are the same content, but in different formats. Also, many of these files either don't have the correct name, or have variations of the name because the sources of the files edited things before posting them. I've tried every search combination I can think of, looked at any FAQ I think might have the answer, but still can't find it. Does anyone know of a way to locate files with the same content but in different formats, PLEASE??? I know I can do this handraulically, but that's going to be a real pain! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
dpayment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:46 PM   #2
mpd123
Zealot
mpd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kobo glo / samsung note 10.1
if you have windows os
try - start>search>files and folders>more advanced options. this will bring up a set of options to search for specific file type in your book folder and then select all and delete/move them.

hope this helps .

cheers,mick.
mpd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2010, 07:04 AM   #3
dpayment
Connoisseur
dpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enough

Device: PocketBook Pro 902, EB-1150, PRS505, PRS700, Jetbook, Hanlin V3, Kobo
Red face Re: removing ebooks with the same content but in different formats

Thanks, mick, but been there, done that. Problem is that I don't know which files are duplicates. Right now the only option I can think of, and the one that I'm in process of implementing is as follows:

Search for each different format individually (i.e.: *.rtf, *.txt, etc.) and put each format into it's own directory. Then, using Calibre, with the --with-library command, select each library in turn and once there, convert all books to a common format, like all text, or all epub or whatever. Once this is done, run some duplicate finding software on all the directories involved to find and delete every duplicate. It's not a perfect solution, because formatting issues are going to make two documents with the same content but different format appear as separate documents, but it's all I can think of right now. Thanks again,

Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd123 View Post
if you have windows os
try - start>search>files and folders>more advanced options. this will bring up a set of options to search for specific file type in your book folder and then select all and delete/move them.

hope this helps .

cheers,mick.
dpayment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:33 AM   #4
sherya mathur
Enthusiast
sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: saamabook
you can remove one file by another file format as *.txt,*.sab,*.sbd etc but for converting these operating system must be same.
sherya mathur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duplicates, formats, remove duplicates