Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-18-2009, 08:39 PM   #1
dbluke
dbluke began at the beginning.

Device: none
Cal Poly University Senior Thesis Survey: How Society Will Read in the Future

We are writing a senior thesis on how society will read in the future— specifically using new media devices such as Amazon's Kindle and Apple's iPhone to read books, newspapers, and magazines. Please take a few minutes to fill out our survey by clicking on the link below. Your help is greatly appreciated!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?s...NLwyQtgA_3d_3d
dbluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:09 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I merged the 3 identical threads and moved them to the lounge. This topic doesn't really belong anywhere else.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2009, 03:14 AM   #3
Jaime_Astorga
Member Retired
Jaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-350-SC: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
Filled the survey. Hope it helps.
Jaime_Astorga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:13 PM   #4
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
very short, do it guys!
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:38 AM   #5
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I started but some of the questions required answers that followed on from the previous and wouldn't accept a "pass".

If I answer NO to both #4 & #5 - then HOW can I answer #6?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2009, 07:25 AM   #6
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbluke View Post
We are writing a senior thesis on how society will read in the future
Is this the royal we, the editorial we, or is the whole class writing one thesis?

I completed the survey, but it doesn't seem to take into account that many people read on devices that are neither iPhones nor dedicated ereaders.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:45 AM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
I completed the survey, but it doesn't seem to take into account that many people read on devices that are neither iPhones nor dedicated ereaders.
A common problem with these surveys (sounds like one I filled out last year). It centers too much on one type of device/service or another, and therefore generates a very incomplete or skewed picture of the whole.

(I was able to complete the survey from the perspective of a PDA reader. Hopefully they're not looking at my results and saying, "PDuh--what?!?")

However, the survey doesn't come close to providing any answers to questions about what is read ("books, newspapers, and magazines"). The info they'll get from this survey will be rather limited in scope and usefulness.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 05-21-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:48 AM   #8
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
A common problem with these surveys (sounds like one I filled out last year). It centers too much on one type of device/service or another, and therefore generates a very incomplete or skewed picture of the whole.

(I was able to complete the survey from the perspective of a PDA reader. Hopefully they're not looking at my results and saying, "PDuh--what?!?")

However, the survey doesn't come close to providing any answers to questions about what is read ("books, newspapers, and magazines"). The info they'll get from this survey will be rather limited in scope and usefulness.

It's a similar survey to a couple I've had from Fictionwise ...

"have you an i-phone?"
NO
"will you read on your i-phone?"
NO
"tell us what you like about your i-phone"
'I'm sorry, an answer is required here <===='
Old 05-21-2009, 04:40 PM   #9
Jaime_Astorga
Member Retired
Jaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-350-SC: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
It's a similar survey to a couple I've had from Fictionwise ...

"have you an i-phone?"
NO
"will you read on your i-phone?"
NO
"tell us what you like about your i-phone"
'I'm sorry, an answer is required here <===='
lmao

Seriously, don't they teach how to avoid these kinds of things at statistics courses or something? Maybe they should.
Jaime_Astorga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:03 AM   #10
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime_Astorga View Post
lmao

Seriously, don't they teach how to avoid these kinds of things at statistics courses or something? Maybe they should.

when i did statistics, these things didn't exist .....
Old 05-22-2009, 02:12 PM   #11
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
when i did statistics, these things didn't exist .....
yeah, well we ARE talking post industrial revolution you know!

*ducks*
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 03:53 AM   #12
GeoffC

:quack: