Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-16-2014, 09:49 AM   #1
tempura
Connoisseur
tempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle PW3
PDF not importing to Library correctly

So, I have been stuck with a peculiar problem of PDF importing to calibre. I have been trying to add this PDF of an Academic Paper called: "Timing Attacks on Implementations of Diffe-Hellman, RSA, DSS, and Other Systems" by Paul C. Kocher. It's a PDF created using LaTEX (atleast from looking at it).

I am using Windows 7 with Calibre 1.44, though I noticed this trouble happening with 1.41 as well.

I am not sure what happens but basically, I just add the book to calibre, and the PDF text gets scrambled or maybe the text turns to the color white. But I can't open it through Adobe Reader which just gives a Bad File Error, then I used SumatraPDF(my Default PDF Reader) which just displays the text as white, while all the images are intact. I tried importing the book through the Edit Metadata Dialog Box, but it gives the same result.

Anyway, I have attached the original PDF to this post and the one which calibre creates, after importing.

Also, does this mean that some of the previous PDF's which I have in my library might not have been imported correctly?

Any help is appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf original.pdf (206.7 KB, 134 views)
File Type: pdf calibre_imported.pdf (199.4 KB, 136 views)
tempura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:30 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Not sure what is going on here, but Calibre does not change a file in any way during an import.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2014, 10:44 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
A file imported into calibre is byte identical to the original. The only exception to that is if you installed some third party plugins, most commonly drm removal plugins which often change files during import.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:29 AM   #4
tempura
Connoisseur
tempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle PW3
Well, looked like disabling the DRM plugin worked. Thanks Kovid.
tempura is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
import, pdf