Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #14566
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Finished Zepheria's Call. Enjoyed it, and I'll definitely be reading the next one whenever it comes out. That being said, however, in Zepheria's Call, the character of Tanith Fairport develops some more, and we get additional characters joining the plot, but overall, the plot doesn't really get us very far. There is less happening here than in Ravenwood, and overall it felt transitional. That's not all bad, but it definitely stopped well before I was ready for it to, with an overall feeling of not being as fully thought out as Ravenwood. While I'd give Ravenwood a 5, I can't really get past about 3.5 out of 5 for Zepheria's Call. Worth my time, but not compelling.
Finished the final version of Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (I had read the eArc). Time for a bit of a break, so reading one of my Georgette Heyer's, Charity Girl.
(Meanwhile, listening to Nine Princes in Amber)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #14567
Corkobo
Zealot
Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Nook Touch
Quote:
Oh, yeah. This [Aubrey - Maturin] is a series that keeps growing on you as the characters develop and change over time. I've read them all several times, both as physical books and audio books. And I'm about ready to return to them.
Very true about the characters evolution, even in 3 books.

What I don't understand is how come I've not found these books before in 20 years of reading books in English.
And the weird thing thing is that these books are slower paced than what I usually read but they still captivate me (I'm only getting 6 hours of sleep because of them).

Anyway, this is probably going to become one of my 5-6 favourite series that I read every two years or so.
Corkobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #14568
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not sure how you could have missed them, but I remember my first finding them. The hard part was convincing my DW to try them. ("Oh, right, you want me to read about torture, abuse and buggery on the high seas. Sure. ") Half way through Master and Commander she was hooked. Her favourite character, of course, was Steven.

You have a delightful set of books ahead of you. It's only sad that there can be no more.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #14569
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
I don't know why I just put a 20-book series on my TBR list. The blame's on you, CRussel.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #14570
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Next is another indie effort. The Puppet Maker's Bones by Alisa Tangredi. I'm quite interested in this one as the sample was intriguing. I'm not 100% sure if it's meant to be a horror or fantasy - or both.
OK - finished this one. I'm going to lean towards fantasy, but it has a really depressing, dark side to it.

The story is constructed really well and is quite fresh to me. I liked the originality of the approach. It's not a fast mover by any stretch. The whole story is really in one act and the rest of the book is back-story, but it's intriguing how the history of one Pavel Trusnik is revealed to the reader.

I've given this 5 stars on Goodreads and I haven't decided on my review site whether it will get the full 5 stars or 4 and a half stars. But regardless, I would highly recommend this story.

Next up is the literary book club read for this month. We by Yevgeny Yamyatin. I've been eager to sink my teeth into this one since a work colleague recommended it. The grandfather of dystopian fiction? Of course I want to read it.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2012, 02:08 AM   #14571
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
I don't know why I just put a 20-book series on my TBR list. The blame's on you, CRussel.
Well, I think you'll enjoy them. I'm not a sailor, so much of the technical aspects of a square rigged ship are beyond me, but it doesn't matter at all. These are great on multiple levels.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:22 AM   #14572
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Well, I think you'll enjoy them. I'm not a sailor, so much of the technical aspects of a square rigged ship are beyond me, but it doesn't matter at all. These are great on multiple levels.
I've enjoyed them all and still have few to read and I've got more books on my TBR list than you've had hot dinners!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #14573
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"Agent of Change" by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller

The first book in the "Liaden" series. Reasonable SF, but I wasn't blown away by it, which is slightly disappointing, since I've heard so many good things about this series. I'll stick with it - perhaps it'll get better.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #14574
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Taking a break from Kate Mosse's "Citadel", which is very good but I'm simply not in the mood for historical fiction right now. I've started reading "Dark Hollow" by John Connolly and liking it immensely (20% in), a big improvement on the first book of the Charlie Parker series.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #14575
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"Agent of Change" by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller

The first book in the "Liaden" series. Reasonable SF, but I wasn't blown away by it, which is slightly disappointing, since I've heard so many good things about this series. I'll stick with it - perhaps it'll get better.
As a single book, less interesting than the Universe as a whole. It's hard for me to separate out what I thought about my first Liaden book, since I've read all of them several times. But I think it's something that grows with deeper immersion. It's all about the characters, more than action.

You might find a couple of earlier ones, the so called "Space Regencies", a good place to try. "Local Custom" and "Scout's Progress" (which has "Mouse and Dragon" as a direct sequel.) These are unabashedly Heyer-esque. And not particularly dependent on other books in the series.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #14576
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
While watching football last weekend I read Playing for Pizza by John Grisham as a test of iBooks on my iPad mini as an eReader. Light read, like eating popcorn while watching tv. iBooks was fine.

Finally got around to reading Friday The Rabbi Slept Late by Harry Kemelman, bought earlier in the year in a movie themed sale by Rosetta Books. All the descriptions of rabbinical stuff were fascinating, I almost forgot there was a mystery to solve, which the rabbi did with aplomb. I promptly snagged the next in the series, Saturday The Rabbi... from Kobo using a 30% off promo code.

Currently in the middle of the first Elvis Cole novel, The Monkey's Raincoat by Robert Crais. I listened to one of the later books from Audible earlier in the year and enjoyed the deadpan wit. There were bad reviews about the narrators of the earlier books so I thought I'd read them instead.

I should be reading bookclub selections, but I'm just not in the mood so I'll probably continue my mystery binge.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:03 AM   #14577
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
While watching football last weekend I read Playing for Pizza by John Grisham as a test of iBooks on my iPad mini as an eReader. Light read, like eating popcorn while watching tv. iBooks was fine....
Ha! Funny how our minds fill in the blanks. When reading this post on Tapatalk, the preview window showed:

Quote:
Synamon

While watching football last weekend I read Pla...

@Reading Recommendations
For a minute I thought you had read Plato's Republic while watching a game of football.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:19 AM   #14578
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Finally got around to reading Friday The Rabbi Slept Late by Harry Kemelman, bought earlier in the year in a movie themed sale by Rosetta Books. All the descriptions of rabbinical stuff were fascinating, I almost forgot there was a mystery to solve, which the rabbi did with aplomb. I promptly snagged the next in the series, Saturday The Rabbi... from Kobo using a 30% off promo code.
It's a great series. I have them all in paperback, but can't justify gtting them in ebook at the moment. I highly recommend them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Now I am reading the Analog.
Also a good issue.

Then I read Mindbridge by Joe Haldeman, a 1976 novel published just a couple of years after The Forever War. I do wonder whether it was written before The Forever War.

It was a good read, but I prefer my SF with one impossible thing, not three or more. Wow — I bought this one over four years ago!

Next up: The Best of Marion Zimmer Bradley. A collection of shorter works.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:56 AM   #14579
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm reading "The Old Dick," a nice PI novel from 1982, by L.A. Morse.

Good old stuff.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #14580
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I'm reading "The Old Dick," a nice PI novel from 1982, by L.A. Morse.

Good old stuff.

Don
Describing something from 1982 as good old stuff. How ancient does that make me feel .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote