Notices

Old 01-03-2010, 08:25 PM   #1
tklaus
Connoisseur
tklaus doesn't littertklaus doesn't litter

Device: iPad, Kindle DX
[Old Thread] Slow to 'get list of books on device' for Kindle DX

Hi,

Each time I connect my Kindle DX via USB, Calibre consistently takes nearly 6 minutes to complete the 'get list of books on device' job. It takes this long regardless of whether it's the first time I connect during a given Calibre session, or multiple connects/ejects during the same session.

Is this normal, or it is possible that it's getting hung up on a particular file or file type? There's nothing in the log (show job details) to give me any idea of what it's doing during this delay. What exactly is it doing during this job? Is it more than just doing a directory listing?

I currently have 169 books on my DX, a combination of Amazon-purchased books/blogs/newspapers, converted books, and PDFs.

Thanks for any insights!
tklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:25 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
At this time calibre does not cache metadata from files on the device. This is a planned feature (no dates yet). Most likely it's getting hung up on a particular file. Start by disabling the PDF metadata reader in Preferences, Plugins, Metadata readers.

Also in Plugins, Device Interfaces, Kindle DX, you can turn off reading metadata from files completely.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:49 PM   #3
tklaus
Connoisseur
tklaus doesn't littertklaus doesn't litter

Device: iPad, Kindle DX
Thanks, that did the trick! Disabling the PDF metadata reader got the time down to 4 secs. Thanks for the pointer!
tklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
samsa
samsa began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, sony
Had the same problem with my Kindle DX. Disabling PDF metadata reader solved it. Thanks.
samsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Moderator Notice
Moved to appropriate subforum.

This thread is over a year old. The information may be outdated- for example, I'm pretty sure Calibre now caches metadata on device.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote