Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-08-2009, 10:20 AM   #16
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
I'm also on the clear
me too. not too surprising since i try to avoid drm books as much as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
Still, a great example of one of the many reasons why DRM blows.
yep.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:27 AM   #17
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Hmm, 6 books for me. At least I've downloaded them all already, and as long as I don't switch my reader, I should be fine, right?

(or lose my HD and portable HD where all my ebooks are stored...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:29 AM   #18
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Hmm, 6 books for me. At least I've downloaded them all already, and as long as I don't switch my reader, I should be fine, right?

(or lose my HD and portable HD where all my ebooks are stored...)
probably the safest thing is to remove the drm and create open archive copies, and make copies and backups on different media.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:35 AM   #19
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
Thanks for the heads-up! I have purchased hundreds of books from Fictionwise. I followed their instructions, but don't seem to have any books that were delivered via the Overdriver server. Seems like I dodged a bullet on that one, but what's next? If Apple can drop the DRM, why can't the publishing companies!?!
You can't tell yet. The post from Fictionwise was not public and won't go public until later today. None of the instructions for testing your purchase currently work.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:37 AM   #20
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
You can't tell yet. The post from Fictionwise was not public and won't go public until later today. None of the instructions for testing your purchase currently work.

Dale
are you sure ? it seems that the sorting option is active now, and some people have recieved results and others none, which seems to indicate it's already in effect.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:42 AM   #21
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
2 out of 45, and from Cherryh, an author I hated... And anyway, I keep DRM free copies on my drives. Just waiting to get sued by anybody so I can show this as an example as to why I'm doig this!

By the way, the original linked post form FW mentionned they were going to release eReader on a number of e-ink devices. Any one knows if the PRS 505 will be included?

Last edited by Alfy; 01-08-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Alfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:15 AM   #22
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
For me 1 out of 19 drm Fictionwise ebooks - I bought lots of mf from them but I usually use BoB for drm'ed books at least until I got that free Fw membership, though as mentioned, I still bought 2 ebooks from BoB since Fw did not carry them.

They replaced it with Ereader though I did not truly care since for once I have the drm-less copy, for another I have the mmpb and also the e has been in the wild for a while, popular sf and all...

Anyway three cheers for Fw and three jeers for drm
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:43 AM   #23
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
I sent this:

Dear Madame, Sir,

I write to you to express my deep concerns and disappointment at the annoucement that you will not provide your services for the Fictionwise web-based bookstore anymore.

I do not know what were the reasons that pushed you to terminate Fictionwise’s contract, but perhaps you have not considered the impact on the end user. Although it is my responsability to have a backup for my ebooks, the availability of redownloads is an important feature for anyone making ebook purchases online. Several of my purchases will not be available for download after January 31st.

In addition, it is distressing to see the number of available books in any one format go down at any reseller, which is another consequence of your actions. One would have thought it would be in your best interest to see the number of ebooks’ buyers increase, and that can only happen if content is widely available.

The email address is: support@overdrive.com
Alfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:47 AM   #24
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I'm just hoping that the eReader will be made available for Kindle...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I want to see eReader on the Sony 505
It will never happen. Neither company is going to add that format to their device.

If you really want it, put in a feature request for calibre for Ereader as an input format. (Kindle support is already in the works.)

As for DRMed Ereader, I believe calibre already has support for plugins.the plugin would be how you remove the DRM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:17 PM   #25
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Now I'm very glad I didn't buy that membership they were pushing @ Christmas time. If I had, I'd have asked for my money back.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:24 PM   #26
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I just checked again and I now have the Overdrive expiring and replacements categories on my bookshelf. Five of 201 books are affected, and they have replacements for four of them. All books were in MS Reader and bought before I got my Palm.

Worst case is "loss" of one book - which I have long since downloaded, stripped and archived.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:29 PM   #27
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
7 out of 237 secure Mobipocket books expiring for me. Five of those have no eReader replacements as yet.

I shall have to make sure that my dedrmed Mobipocket files are well backed up.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:30 PM   #28
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
16 books expiring (of which they've managed to make 12 replacements, so only 4 I could miss out on, the Asimov Caliban books and some random one I've never even bothered reading) out of 830 total
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:47 PM   #29
Snowman
Zealot
Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iPhone 5, Kindle K3, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I just checked again and I now have the Overdrive expiring and replacements categories on my bookshelf. Five of 201 books are affected, and they have replacements for four of them.
4/305 for me, with replacements for all. Interesting, though - all the books were in various series - one series had just 1/23, another had 2/6, and the last had 1/5. I checked for series just in case I got stiffed and lost the crucial 4th book of a n-part series that I hadn't bought yet. *Thank-you, Librarything!*

And my library is archived - daily to external hdd, also to dvd and to an offsite store.
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:58 PM   #30
xianfox
Ebook Addict
xianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I was fearing this was going to be worse for me. Only 7 of 235 titles are affected. What worried me was that I have 56 of 235 titles in secure MS Lit. Apparently the rest are from Lightning Source rather than Overdrive.
xianfox is offline   Reply With Quote