Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #16
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The factory reset restores a firmware image from the recovery partition of the card to the main partition. Then it does something to clear the data partition. I think it simply formats the data partition, but it might delete and recreate the partition. If it does the latter, it means that any time a factory reset was done, you would need to open the device and resize the data partition.
Well, a smart design would be to create the two fixed size partitions and then create the FAT partition to use the 'remainder' - which any linux partitioning tool can do, and from Gergith's post would seem to be what actually happens.
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by auspex View Post
Well, a smart design would be to create the two fixed size partitions and then create the FAT partition to use the 'remainder' - which any linux partitioning tool can do, and from Gergith's post would seem to be what actually happens.
And unfortunately, as I said, I have no memory of anyone reporting they did a factory reset after the replacing the SD card with a larger one. That is why I asked the question.

But, I should have checked myself. I had my Glo apart a little while ago and took a copy of the recoveryfs. The rcS script is run to do the recovery. The lines needed are:

Code:
mount /dev/mmcblk0p3 /mnt/user
echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches; sleep 2
[ -e /mnt/user/.kobo/KoboRecovery.tgz ] && ( zcat /mnt/user/.kobo/KoboRecovery.tgz > /dev/null && tar zvxf /mnt/user/.kobo/KoboRecovery.tgz -C /upgrade && rm -rf /mnt/user/.kobo/KoboRecovery.tgz )
umount /mnt/user && sync && sync

/etc/init.d/upgrade-generic.sh $UBOOT TOTALLY_NOT_USED /upgrade/$PLATFORM/uImage mmcblk0

mkfs.ext4 -L rootfs -m 0 /dev/mmcblk0p1 && sync && sync
mkfs.vfat -n KOBOeReader /dev/mmcblk0p3 && sync && sync

mount -o norelatime,noatime,nodiratime /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/root
( zcat /upgrade/fs.tgz > /dev/null && tar zvxf /upgrade/fs.tgz -C /mnt/root) || reboot
umount /mnt/root && sync && sync
Unless I am reading this wrong, the "mkfs.vfat" is only reformatting the partition without changing the partition size. That means the partition size needs to be changed to fill the SD card but the factory reset can be used to recreate the filesystem to fill the partition.

An interesting thing in this code is that Kobo have a mechanism to change factory reset firmware.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #18
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by auspex View Post
Some Kobos come from the factory with a 4GB card, but they only use the same size partition as the ones with 2GB cards, so it can't be right that the partition is resized to fit the card automatically by a factory reset. Also it would be a bad idea to do that, since the reason for using a smaller partition might be to avoid media faults located beyond the partition.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:47 AM   #19
Gergith
Enthusiast
Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ahh, it ate my last post apparently!

Regardless, I just went through a factory reset to satisfy everyones curiosity, myself included.

It worked fine

Did the upgrade stage over wifi on-device.

Once everything was setup, I checked out the Device information. It showed 29998MB total capacity, whereas it showed 29984 before the factory reset.

Just finished syncing everything and finding my place in my book.

(if anyone is curious, I only have 172 epubs on my device with jpg covers. It's only 343 MB of disc space )

Everything appears A-OK! Back to reading the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov!

Will for certain post my guide with pictures this weekend. Pictures are already taken and most of the post is written. Just need to crop pictures and finish the post. Will do tomorrow after work most certainly
Gergith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:51 AM   #20
Gergith
Enthusiast
Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Some Kobos come from the factory with a 4GB card, but they only use the same size partition as the ones with 2GB cards, so it can't be right that the partition is resized to fit the card automatically by a factory reset. Also it would be a bad idea to do that, since the reason for using a smaller partition might be to avoid media faults located beyond the partition.
Perhaps they use a specific method to cripple the 4 gigs? or that the 4 gigs is actually accessible after a factory reset and nobody has actually noticed?

Or perhaps upon resizing the partition the first time I altered the partition table permanently in a way that kobo can use later?

Like the Kobo perhaps can't format a card fully, but can alter what is already there? Or that it can only alter the file table, but not the partition table?

I don't fully know what I'm talking about clearly, but that seems like it COULD be right ;-)

So if you don't resize the partition after cloning the microsd card to the bigger card, will a factory reset still work to show the full drive?

I, for one, am not curious enough to open my device right now to find out.

Last edited by Gergith; 03-23-2013 at 12:53 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:01 AM   #21
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gergith View Post
Potentially, but I REALLY wouldn't advise this. I'm just doing this specifically to avoid having any sdcard at all in my external slot.

As it is it adds a bit of noticeable lag, so I wouldn't recommend more. Specifically both boot time and going into sleep mode. Coming out of sleep mode is normal speed oddly. I noticed the boot time is different specifically because it used to take a certain amount of blocks scrolling before hanging at the exact same one and loading to the main screen. Now it scrolls for a few seconds more. But very tolerable.

As for the actual maximum, I'm not certain.

I think it does work, because I've seen other people post that they do a factory reset to resize the partition to 32gigs, instead of doing it manually. So they skip that step and let the factory restore handle it. But resizing the partition manually allows for retaining your data/stats.

Either way, you'll have the 2gig card to pop back in.
Hmm so why would you advise against it?
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #22
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
If I read DavidFor's post properly, the factory reset does not touch the partition size for the KOBOeReader partition so if the factory copy that creates the uSD card has a 2GB partition 3, it will not be resized on a factory reset. OTOH, if you manually resize it, that size will survive a factory reset.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 03-23-2013 at 10:56 AM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #23
Gergith
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Hmm so why would you advise against it?
Why would you void your warranty and risk bricking your device if you don't need/want the benefit?

If you don't need the extra memory for one reason or another and weren't dreaming of this already, this probably isn't for you.

It involves potentially breaking your case getting it open, potentially bricking your device and for certain it voids your warranty, but I don't know if they will know you've done it if you swap the 2 gig card back in.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #24
Gergith
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If I read DavidFor's post properly, the factory reset does not touch the partition size for the KOBOeReader partition so if the factory copy that creates the uSD card has a 2GB partition 3, it will not be resized on a factory reset. OTOH, if you manually resize it, that size will survive a factory reset.

Regards,
David

I think you are right about this. But I feel that it has some access because the book partition DID change size when I did the factory reset. It was upped by about 10 mb.

out of curiosity, i think I might bite the bullet and open my kobo AGAIN.

This time I'll get a 3rd sd card, clone the first one onto it (4gig or bigger), but I WON'T resize the partition. Then I'll throw it back into my kobo (with the 2 gig partition on a bigger card).

THEN I'll do a factory reset.

THEN I'll check the memory... In fact... I think I might do all that tonight!

EDIT:
INTERESTING! So I just cracked 'er open and did the following:

dumped the 2 gig cloned contents to an 8 gig sd card, WITHOUT resizing the partition.

First book, works great, all my books from my dump are there. BUT... The HD size in device info is reading 1361 MB total.

Will report/edit back with what happens AFTER a factory reset.

EDIT 2:
That solves it! Still 1361 MB total after factory reset. The resizing the partition/editing the partition table is something that's required for the Kobo, as it can't do it itself clearly.

That's why the 4gig Kobo's only see 2gig.

EDIT 3:
I've finally posted my guide:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2462847

Last edited by Gergith; 03-24-2013 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Reporting backing awesome information!