Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-23-2011, 11:26 PM   #91
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
I have a crazy notion that ebook readers will actually revitalize interest in paper books. This is based entirely on personal experience...
That was my experience in 2010 as well.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:32 PM   #92
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
I haven't bought any paper books since I got my first Kindle in 2008. E-books are so much more convenient for me, it doesn't seem worth it. I've had several people buy paper books for me, though. Some people either didn't know I had a Kindle or wanted to give me a physical object.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:14 AM   #93
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
I have bought only 2 paper books (fiction) since 2003, both signed copies from favourite authors. Hundreds of ebooks purchased in that time. Can't see that changing any time soon.
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:14 AM   #94
jdav
jdav began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600; Iphone 4
I bought e-pub versions of the two hard back books I was given as presents. I prefer reading on my e-reader.
jdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:37 AM   #95
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
I have a crazy notion that ebook readers will actually revitalize interest in paper books. This is based entirely on personal experience, but as a solipsist that's good enough.
Why do you think so? Just because there might be more interest in reading in general?

I personally would like nothing better than to rid myself of almost every paperback book I own and replace them with e-books. I still love hardbacks, though.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:28 PM   #96
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I still buy as many print books as e-books, honestly. Some books are just better in print.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:01 PM   #97
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
I just placed an Amazon order for a number of parenting pbooks. My wife and I thought it would be the type of book that we'd be more likely to let people borrow.

Fiction is personal. I don't have any friends that share my fiction interests (and live close enough) so there's no reason to factor lending into my pbook vs ebook choice. I've moved to buying all fiction digitally.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:49 PM   #98
McKillington
McKillington began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I didn't own many books to begin with, I would borrow from the library . Now, whenever I [put] a book on my Kindle, I buy them from one of the two local booksellers in my city. Justification being I like the aesthetics of real books, the local stores are really important to my city's economy, and a good friend of mine works at a book bindery.
McKillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:55 PM   #99
tuffykenwell
tuffykenwell began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Buying 13 books a year indicates an "avid" reader?
That was what I was thinking....good grief I usually read a book a day LOL...the PVR on my tv is completely full because I have no "time" to watch tv anymore.

I have bought about 3 pbooks since getting my ereader (cookbooks). I have bought many kids books but I don't count those as my reading.

Steph
tuffykenwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #100
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffykenwell View Post
That was what I was thinking....good grief I usually read a book a day LOL...the PVR on my tv is completely full because I have no "time" to watch tv anymore.
How many pages would you say that is? I don't have a full PVR nor any PVR because I hardly watch TV, yet I still don't have that much time for reading! As a child I used to read two books a day, but they were probably < 200 pages each and I had a lot more free time. My last four books were 656, 800, 336, and 560 pages long... those take me longer than a day for sure!
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:48 AM   #101
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
I haven't bought any pbooks since I got my reader, and that is actually on purpose. My house already has thousands of pbooks in it and I have run out of places to put them. Some people get a bigger house when their collection of "stuff" exceeds their square footage, but I think that's silly - what good does it do to keep more stuff than you can even look at? So I am trying to keep to ebooks, and not grow my collection of things that take up space in my house any more.

It's only been a couple months, though, and I have already been sorely tempted by pbooks several times. I'm sure that I will cave to this temptation now and then, but if I can just give up pbooks I already own, at about the same rate I gain them, I can at least tread water here, right?
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:49 PM   #102
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizilla View Post
I haven't bought any pbooks since I got my reader, and that is actually on purpose. My house already has thousands of pbooks in it and I have run out of places to put them. Some people get a bigger house when their collection of "stuff" exceeds their square footage, but I think that's silly - what good does it do to keep more stuff than you can even look at? So I am trying to keep to ebooks, and not grow my collection of things that take up space in my house any more.

It's only been a couple months, though, and I have already been sorely tempted by pbooks several times. I'm sure that I will cave to this temptation now and then, but if I can just give up pbooks I already own, at about the same rate I gain them, I can at least tread water here, right?
I sold many book a while ago as I ran out of space. Actually I sold a lot, and bought some nicer bound than I had them before. Paired down the whole collection to only re-read books and throw out everything that I am not going to re-read again in this lifetime, e.g. crime/thrillers.

This condensed library is my love and my treasure. The books are wonderful and a pleasure to hold. And I have not a single one read since I got my ereader.

I am so happy with it, I wouldn't have dared dreaming of and can not imagine to go back to pbooks ever. My flat is small and I love the freedom my little sexy Sony is giving me.

There is no doubt I will buy a pbook again, but it will be a very rare occasion.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:27 PM   #103
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
for me its because of drm and/or nonexistence of said book as ebook
i buy paper and make an epub myself or download a selfmade one
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:32 PM   #104
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
I don't buy print books anymore.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:23 PM   #105
tuffykenwell
tuffykenwell began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
How many pages would you say that is? I don't have a full PVR nor any PVR because I hardly watch TV, yet I still don't have that much time for reading! As a child I used to read two books a day, but they were probably < 200 pages each and I had a lot more free time. My last four books were 656, 800, 336, and 560 pages long... those take me longer than a day for sure!
Usually around 250-300 pages although when I look them up on goodreads they generally list a higher page count (more like 400-450)....maybe the difference in page size formatting? Not sure on that.

Reading does take up about 6 hours a day for me right now (minimum). I work contracts though and right now I am at home so more time for reading. When I am working full time it definitely limits my reading time so I tend to gorge when I am off work for a few months.

Steph
tuffykenwell is offline   Reply With Quote