Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 06-25-2010, 07:03 PM   #1
CoolDragon
Addict
CoolDragon doesn't litterCoolDragon doesn't litter

Device: none
How should I eject the DR?

Sometimes after I eject/disconnect the reader from the computer, the DR's menu and status bar icon got messed up, I have to reboot to restore the correct menu and status bar icons.

Question one: what is the correct way to eject the DR? I realized recently that I am supposed to use "eject" on Windows 7 and "safely remove" on XP. But still happens.

Question two: (to IREX guys here) what is going on under the hood after the reader is disconnected from the computer?
CoolDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:14 AM   #2
Gertjan
ex-IRX developer
Gertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litter

Device: Irex DR800S, DR1000S, iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDragon View Post
Question one: what is the correct way to eject the DR? I realized recently that I am supposed to use "eject" on Windows 7 and "safely remove" on XP. But still happens.
"Eject" should be good on all OSes. "Safely Remove" only works on WinXp.

Quote:
Question two: (to IREX guys here) what is going on under the hood after the reader is disconnected from the computer?
The device acts as a USB Removable Mass Storage device which uses a SCSI like command set. On Eject, the PC sends a Media Eject command to the device which closes the USB session. The device mounts its file system again, indexes for new files, and goes to the desktop like it does on a cold boot.
Gertjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2010, 04:23 PM   #3
CoolDragon
Addict
CoolDragon doesn't litterCoolDragon doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
The device acts as a USB Removable Mass Storage device which uses a SCSI like command set. On Eject, the PC sends a Media Eject command to the device which closes the USB session. The device mounts its file system again, indexes for new files, and goes to the desktop like it does on a cold boot.
Thanks Gertjan, so what kind of signals/messages were sent to popupmenu after this procedure?

A related question: is it possible to emulate the "eject" event in the emulator?

Last edited by CoolDragon; 06-28-2010 at 07:14 PM.
CoolDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:44 AM   #4
Gertjan
ex-IRX developer
Gertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litter

Device: Irex DR800S, DR1000S, iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDragon View Post
Thanks Gertjan, so what kind of signals/messages were sent to popupmenu after this procedure?
Most of it is handled by Sysd. It broadcasts a signal over IPC to report that the volume (SD card) is mounted. Popupmenu does not receive any specific events.
Quote:
A related question: is it possible to emulate the "eject" event in the emulator?
The emulator does not "connect" over USB so you cant "eject" it. In contrast to the real device, the emulator does not actually mount a second volume for the user data. In this case, the "volume mounted" signal is emulated by Sysd.
Gertjan is offline   Reply With Quote