Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-23-2006, 10:46 PM   #1
MMascaro
Zealot
MMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheese

Device: HP mini 1035/Sony Reader/IPad
Other file formats

I remember during the "trip to Sony" post that someone had Excell files on there memory stick and said they could read the file on the Sony reader. Is this true on the shipped readers as well and has any one tried other oddball formats?
MMascaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 02:12 AM   #2
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
Tried the following...

NO: Excel: xls
NO: PICTURE: bmp
NO: PICTURE: GIF
NO: WORD: doc
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2006, 11:20 AM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Hmm. It did open an xls file for me while we were there, but I haven't tried it with the one I have now. It was a pretty simple xls file, not sure whether that would make a difference or not.

Must have been a vagary of the different OS/Software set, 'cause it doesn't seem to work now.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 03:58 PM   #4
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Or maybe it was a CSV file, not Excel?
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 04:04 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nope, I'm sure it was an xls, firstly because I know what file it was, secondly, 'cause I save things in CVS only extremely rarely (2~3 times in my life thus far, and the last time was more than 5 years ago), and finally because I remember the Reader designating the file as an Excel file in the Info menu.

It's all very curious.
Advert
Old 10-25-2006, 04:37 PM   #6
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Whick revision of Excel was it? Souding intersting...
Old 10-25-2006, 04:57 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist

Hmm. I think it was the one that come with Win2k, but I'm not certain which one that would be.

In any case, the same file doesn't open on the Reader I have now, so I guess something changed in the OS/Apps between the then and now.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:18 PM   #8
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
That's called tightening the leash.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 05:39 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist

Well, they were clear that they didn't support xls format, so I don't feel too cheated. It's wouldn't have been all that useful anyway.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:00 AM   #10
Nightwing
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Hmm. I think it was the one that come with Win2k, but I'm not certain which one that would be.

In any case, the same file doesn't open on the Reader I have now, so I guess something changed in the OS/Apps between the then and now.

If it came with a W2k system would have proabbly been Works. Excel is was a seperate program or in one of the Office variany groups.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:36 AM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwing
If it came with a W2k system would have proabbly been Works. Excel is was a seperate program or in one of the Office variany groups.
Yah, but it's my work PC, which the Company helpfully loads with the corresponding version of Office.

I should have said that more clearly in the first place, sorry 'bout that.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:24 PM   #12
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, they were clear that they didn't support xls format, so I don't feel too cheated. It's wouldn't have been all that useful anyway.
Not you maybe but a guy like me who occasionally carries stats around would have like it. But anyway there is no input possible on the prs yet. Maybe they made sure that when input became possible xls would work?
Old 10-26-2006, 01:41 PM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist

I meant that since they didn't ever claim to support XLS, that I don't really hold their not supporting it against them.

Can you xfr your stats to Word (or something like it) as a table, and save it as an RTF?

Come to think of it, I don't know if anyone has checked whether a table in an RTF shows on the Reader....
Old 10-26-2006, 02:16 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist

Okay, just tried the table thing in RTF -- the entries show as basically tabbed text, no borders, and they wrap if they get too big for the screen. So PDF (maybe LRF?) look like the best options for tables at the moment.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:23 AM   #15
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Okay, just tried the table thing in RTF -- the entries show as basically tabbed text, no borders, and they wrap if they get too big for the screen. So PDF (maybe LRF?) look like the best options for tables at the moment.
Thanks NatCh! But without input in the field (out working)I can't really use it.