Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-07-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
deddajay
Cynical Pragmatist
deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1 & PW2, Samsung Tab S7+
US /UK ebooks

Hi, this is my first post on this forum, although I've been a long time lurker.

After much consideration, I bought a Sony Reader, the PRS-505, and I'm really enjoying it. I've read more books since I got it than I have in the past 3 years.

My query concerns the availability of ebooks in the UK as opposed to the US. I particularly want Anita Amirrezvani's The Blood of Flowers, which is available on several US sites, but not in the UK. None of the US sites will allow me to purchase due to publishing restrictions. Why is this, anyone know? It is really frustrating. I can get it in paperback, but that defeats the object of the reader, which I'm finding I'm enjoying more than paper books.

I have got the book in audio format, but found that this book really needs to be read, rather than listened to. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good ebook retailer in the UK, please?

Many thanks
Deddajay
deddajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:41 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by deddajay View Post
Why is this, anyone know?
Because some UK publishers got after US publishers for not enforcing restrictions. Ebook rights for the most part go along with print rights instead of being worldwide.

Ironically being in the US I can buy from UK sellers without a problem (so far). Folks have it pretty trivial to get around the restrictions buying from a store like Fictionwise though.

Some books are available from UK publishers and not from the US one. For example most of Steven Erikson's Malazan fantasy series is available in the UK, but not from the US publisher (Tor).

Quote:
Can anyone point me in the direction of a good ebook retailer in the UK, please?
http://ebooks.whsmith.co.uk/FC7F48C7...en/Default.htm

Last edited by AnemicOak; 08-07-2009 at 03:51 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2009, 03:50 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Hi, this is my first post on this forum, although I've been a long time lurker.

After much consideration, I bought a Sony Reader, the PRS-505, and I'm really enjoying it. I've read more books since I got it than I have in the past 3 years.

My query concerns the availability of ebooks in the UK as opposed to the US. I particularly want Anita Amirrezvani's The Blood of Flowers, which is available on several US sites, but not in the UK. None of the US sites will allow me to purchase due to publishing restrictions. Why is this, anyone know? It is really frustrating. I can get it in paperback, but that defeats the object of the reader, which I'm finding I'm enjoying more than paper books.

I have got the book in audio format, but found that this book really needs to be read, rather than listened to. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good ebook retailer in the UK, please?

Many thanks
Deddajay

I can't answer your question, deddajay, but I would like to welcome you to MobileRead - even though you've been a "long time lurker!"

I'm sure you know your way around. I just wanted to officially say "hello."

Have fun!

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:53 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
So far as I know, there are work-arounds at all US ebook sites that allow non-US readers to buy ebooks. The trick is to find the right work-around.

In your case, I suggest ePubs at Books on Board. At one time all you needed to do at BoB was register as a US resident buy gift certificates (with a UK credit card) and then buy the ebooks with the gift certificate. Another trick that works at some sites is to use a UK credit card and UK address but change the country on the credit card to USA (this works because the country typically isn't checked when authorizing a credit card transaction).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:48 PM   #5
deddajay
Cynical Pragmatist
deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1 & PW2, Samsung Tab S7+
Thanks for the welcome

And as for Wallcraft, Thank you for your advice. I have managed to obtain the book I wanted. Now I just have to figure out how to transfer it to my reader.

Cheers guys, your help is much appreciated.

Deddajay
deddajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert