Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-11-2009, 09:41 PM   #1
icemncmth
Enthusiast
icemncmth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.icemncmth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.icemncmth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook (dead), Sony PRS-300
On the horizon....

Since I am in the market for a new Ereader I was just wondering if there "really" is something new on the horizon.

I figure the prices will drop some just because the Kindle has dropped but is there something out there worth waiting for?
icemncmth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:08 PM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
What we know is that there are a number of 5" readers coming onto the market soon. So far, I've seen previews of Astek's Pocket Pro and Bookeen's Opus. There may be others that I have forgotten about.

Rumor is that Sony is bringing out a new reader to the US market sometime this fall.

You may find that rather than picking up a new reader, that these new machines may put a number of used readers onto the market. Unless they come up with something really innovative, I can't see myself getting all excited about this next group of readers. (Well, the 5" models may be cool because they are smaller and thus more portable.)
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2009, 10:19 PM   #3
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Yes, there is something new on the horizon. I believe there will be something new for the next several years/decades/foreseeable future.

Name any consumer electronics maker they are or are rumored to be working on a device. For example rumors are hot in regard to Apple, but they have been hot ever since Apple killed the Newton in the 90's. Sony is expected to update its line soon. There are also many companies you have never heard of.

Many of the readers that already exist are private-branded readers from two manufacturers. Both of these manufacturers are updating their product lines, and you should expect new generation devices from existing providers such as Bookeen, Bebook, Astak, Cool-er, and others.

With a few exceptions, the screen tech for these devices is all made by one company and that has resulted in many common features. On the horizon are newer screens by many others including pixel qi (behind the OLPC), tire company bridgestone, Fujitsu, Samsung, and a flexible version of eink technology.

Many of us are quite happy with dedicated ebook readers; however others are looking for computers that can read books. Especially, those who want to read and annotate pdf files. The best bet for this category has been the tablet PC. Looking into late 2010 there are quite a few developments in this area. TechChrunch is working on an internet tablet, Google is getting ready to introduce (2010) an internet centric OS. The other google OS (Android) is also rumored to be arriving in a tablet or netbook form. As mentioned earlier, Apple is said to be preparing a tablet computer.

I almost said this is akin to asking whether there is something new in the laptop market. However, the truth is that for the next several years its MORE volatile than laptops. There are constantly new laptops, but laptop changes are really fairly predictable. With book readers we will have a few years of radically changing tech. Even after the tech matures there will be constant tweaks as models are continuously introduced.

Give us some hint of what you are looking for, and I might be able to suggest any factual or rumored changes that might impact the near term.

However, if an ebook is right for you then you should go ahead and buy one. And when you do, be assured that within three to six months a better and cheaper one will be available. You just have to be satisfied with what you purchase at the time you purchase it.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:28 PM   #4
icemncmth
Enthusiast
icemncmth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.icemncmth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.icemncmth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook (dead), Sony PRS-300
Computers change everyday but they are a little different than a dedicated device like an Ereader.

I had a BeBook and liked it. I need to replace it and I will. I am looking at a Sony 505 but I do like something that can read several formats. I can wait a couple of months and I know there will probably be something out around Christmas but I doubt it will have anything that most readers don't already have. I like the sounds of the PocketPro but from looking around the forum there really doesn't look like there is a date it will be released. Maybe someone knows more..
icemncmth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:40 PM   #5
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
If you would prefer a 9.7" screen wait until the end of the year. Bulky but very useful. Several new ones are coming out. In case you want a 5" or 6" screen reader you might as well buy one now.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2009, 01:38 AM   #6
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemncmth View Post
Computers change everyday but they are a little different than a dedicated device like an Ereader.

I had a BeBook and liked it. I need to replace it and I will. I am looking at a Sony 505 but I do like something that can read several formats. I can wait a couple of months and I know there will probably be something out around Christmas but I doubt it will have anything that most readers don't already have. I like the sounds of the PocketPro but from looking around the forum there really doesn't look like there is a date it will be released. Maybe someone knows more..
If you ignore the Kindle/Sony readers, most of the readers out there are rebadged readers from either Hanlin/Jinke or Netronix. Both of these companies are in the process of refreshing their product lines.

You mention the PocketPro (from Astak). I am looking forward to getting this reader myself. The distributor has discussed mid-August availability with pre-orders beginnning in a few weeks. This timing should be further finalized early next week. This is coming from Hanlin, the same company supplying your BeBook, and I expect BeBook to have a similar device in a similar time frame. These are both 5 inch devices unlike your original BeBook.

In the fall (october/november) I would expect Hanlin to update the 6-inch readers for BeBook and Astak.

If 5" is more your thing, you might also look towards the Bookeen Opus. It looks sweet, although I haven't had a lot of luck with Bookeen/Netronix in terms of reliability and I'm not a big fan of theirs.

I would be quite surprised if Sony didn't introduce something by Thanksgiving. I also expect non-E-Ink announcements, but they will be first generation and may not be really mature until 2010.

If you have a BeBook then there is a good chance you are in Europe. You may also want to look at the upcoming Opus from Bookeen.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote