Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-24-2016, 07:54 PM   #31
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha o View Post
Open the Google Books app in settings>apps. See if there are any permissions listed. If the permission for discovery is there, you might be able to turn it off or deny it.
There is nothing there under settings like that
Conan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:16 PM   #32
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Has it happened in any other book? I'm thinking the publishers designed it this way.
None of my bought books do this but they aren't Bibles.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2016, 09:36 PM   #33
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Has it happened in any other book? I'm thinking the publishers designed it this way.
None of my bought books do this but they aren't Bibles.

Sent from my XT1528
I'm interested if anyone else is finding ads. I considered that it could just be that book, but some of the advertised books were from different publishers, and the links were to buy from Google. Even if the ads are from a specific publisher, that is something new from Google Books and would be strange as in Google Play even apps with ads/purchases inside have notices in the Play store. Something new either way. Hoping others who bought books recently can shed more light.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:08 PM   #34
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I will go grab a book.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:14 PM   #35
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I grabbed a bible. No ads.
Advert
Old 09-24-2016, 10:18 PM   #36
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Is it just the one book or a few of your books?
Sounds like the publisher.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:23 PM   #37
Conan46
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Is it just the one book or a few of your books?
Sounds like the publisher.
I was beginning to think so myself, but looking at the ad again, at the very bottom of the ad is a "shop" button that takes you straight to the Google Play Books Store with a varied assortment of books based upon my interests from Bibles, to Philosophy, to Fiction. I haven't bought many books from Google, and some I bought in the past are not showing ads. I'm wondering if just a sub-set of newly purchased books have this.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:32 PM   #38
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I don't think there's any sense in experimenting with anything less than version 3.10.x of Google Play Books. There are clearly no ads (and no Discover section) with version 3.9.x and older.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:45 PM   #39
Conan46
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I don't think there's any sense in experimenting with anything less than version 3.10.x of Google Play Books. There are clearly no ads (and no Discover section) with version 3.9.x and older.
I agree. This just occurred with the update.
Here is a screenshot of the far bottom of the ad:
http://imgur.com/a/gwSlw
The "shop" button is clearly a link to Google Play Books with suggestions based upon books already in my library.
Maybe I just have the world's worst luck and bought the only book with ads, but keep an eye on this in case this is a new practice Google is getting into.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:21 PM   #40
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Mine is 3.9.4.9
No update yet.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:21 AM   #41
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I am not a user of Google Play books but I downloaded the app (updated September 23rd not sure where to find the version number in the app) and added a free book to my Library, Morgan Rice's Rise of the Dragon's.

I can't see any adds as such only two hyperlinks to buy more of her books on google play and to subscribe for free books from her newsletter. I paged through from the cover page and the links are after a list of her books and before the start of chapter one. Plus there is also a link to Audible, Amazon and Itunes for the audiobook. I don't get any adds when I select the app after closing it down and the book opens at the correct place each time.

I just checked Google Play and it seems to be a 3.9 version. I'm in the UK, is Google Play region specific, have the UK not got 3.10 yet?

Last edited by Josieb1; 09-25-2016 at 09:32 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:50 AM   #42
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Google tends to stagger rollouts, both by region and by users.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:24 AM   #43
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
I just finished reading a book I bought from Kobo--no ads. I don't think I've ever checked a box one way or the other about recommendations.

I do upload my own books to Kobo and Google--and I do not put ads in them, I am not asked about ads and I didn't know ads or recs or whatever are ever shown. (Just to chime in that it isn't the authors doing this or making the decision to include ads.)
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 01:18 AM   #44
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
I confess that I am slightly disappointed that the suggestions were all bible related. It would have been fun to have ads for Torah, Quran, Richard Dawkins etc. Or something similar to Janet Kagan's Faith of the Month Club

I think the object is to try NOT to irritate your potential customer.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 04:03 AM   #45
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Google tends to stagger rollouts, both by region and by users.
I've not interested in using Google Play books and my brief experiment didn't impress me even without the Discover update so I'll stick with Amazon and Kobo.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote