Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-24-2008, 10:47 AM   #61
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
But not before reading it?
That's ok. I didn't know what a Sorcerer's Stone was before I read the book either.

Neither did I know what the "Wizard's First Rule" was until I read that book.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:57 AM   #62
JOHNFORD
JF'SSONY
JOHNFORD began at the beginning.

Device: SONY
POSSIBLE ANSWER

DAF; IF YOU USE BBeB Binder MANY OF THE BOOKS YOU ARE REQUESTING ARE EASY TO FIND IN HTML FORMAT THEN YOU CAN CONVERT TO SONY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Since Amazon has added the "Please tell the publisher I'd like this book on the Kindle" link, we might be able to help each other get the books we want.

Please add a link to the book(s) you would like to see Kindle-ized. Hopefully everyone reading this thread will click the link for you and you will click links for them. Win-Win!

Edit: Adding the Sony info provided by JSWolf

After trying the find one of the books already listed below at the Sony store, I'm going to assume that any book submitted will have to use the request the title link. I'm am submitting everything on the list so far to Sony. If they happen to have one of them already... oh well.

Edit: A little maintenance. I'll add everyone's links to this post as well to make them easier for folks to find.

The Harry Potter Party by J.K. Rowling

Doris Lessing's the Golden Notebook ; A Critical Study
by Doris Lessing. ISBN-10 006093140X.
Sightseeing by Rattawut Lapcharoensap. ISBN-10 0802142346. [already exists for the Kindle, please request from Sony]
Sigrid Undsets "Kristin Lavransdatter": Kristins religiøse utvikling by Sigrid Undset. ISBN-10 0143039164.

From James Clavell
Tai-Pan
Noble House
Gai-Jin
Shogun

From J. R. R. Tolkien
The Lord of the Rings: 50th Anniversary, One Vol. Edition
The Hobbit
JOHNFORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2008, 12:01 PM   #63
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNFORD View Post
DAF; IF YOU USE BBeB Binder MANY OF THE BOOKS YOU ARE REQUESTING ARE EASY TO FIND IN HTML FORMAT THEN YOU CAN CONVERT TO SONY.
Ahh, but are they legal copies? Our quest is to get books that can be purchased legally in Sony and Kindle formats and hopefully ePub and others.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:57 PM   #64
Laz116
Guru
Laz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS-700
I'd love if Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell was available as an ebook (though it's probably not going to happen since the book contains footnotes).
Laz116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:19 PM   #65
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laz116 View Post
I'd love if Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell was available as an ebook (though it's probably not going to happen since the book contains footnotes).
I have the nearly 32 hour audiobook version... no footnotes that I can recall, so I don't see why it can't be done in ebook form. I'm clicking, posting to Sony and adding it to the first post.
Advert
Old 08-31-2008, 08:41 AM   #66
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
parenthetical comment :
lots of ebooks have footnotes. you can put them at the end of the book and add hyperlinks or insert them into the text immediately after the paragraph referencing them, for example. and the epub format is able to manage *true* footnotes which will be displayed at the bottom of the page. so footnotes should definitely not be an argument not to release a book in digital format. i have plenty of ebooks already with footnotes in them. (and since my eb1150 has a touch screen and can understand hyperlinks, in .imp format footnotes are no trouble at all. )

anyway, clicky clicky...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:45 AM   #67
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Sorry - what does having footnotes have to do with not being an eBook? All eBook formats support hyperlinks, which many eBooks use for footnotes (which in an eBook, are generally changed to endnotes).

I've created numerous eBook with endnotes.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:49 AM   #68
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I have the nearly 32 hour audiobook version... no footnotes that I can recall, so I don't see why it can't be done in ebook form. I'm clicking, posting to Sony and adding it to the first post.
In the audiobook version (which I also have - it's very well done indeed) the footnotes are read "in line" with the text.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:15 PM   #69
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

It's almost been a month since this thread was started and I have yet to see any of our requests become ebooks. I still click and submit once or twice a week (daily was just too much). I will shout if I come across any changes.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:15 PM   #70
MoSo
Crankier than average
MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle #1, Kindle #2; internet appliance - The Chumby.
Quote:
It's almost been a month since this thread was started and I have yet to see any of our requests become ebooks. I still click and submit once or twice a week (daily was just too much). I will shout if I come across any changes.
No, but I've seen about 7 of the books I've clicked on "tell the publisher" show up as ebooks - and they weren't new releases, either.

Some of the books (Rowling, O'Brian) are very unlikely to ever be ebooks, no matter how often we ask for them.
MoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:26 PM   #71
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoSo View Post
No, but I've seen about 7 of the books I've clicked on "tell the publisher" show up as ebooks - and they weren't new releases, either.

Some of the books (Rowling, O'Brian) are very unlikely to ever be ebooks, no matter how often we ask for them.

Thanks MoSo, that's good to know.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:50 PM   #72
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
MoSo: Can you check if the ebooks were released as mobi as well?
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:48 PM   #73
MoSo
Crankier than average
MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
MoSo: Can you check if the ebooks were released as mobi as well?
I requested some A. Lee Martinez books:
Gil's All Fright Diner
Nameless Witch
Too Many Curses

all 3 are on Amazon, but only the brand new book, Too Many Curses, is on Fictionwise.

Also a couple William Kent Kruger books of which the new one, Red Knife is available on Amazon, as well as Iron Lake, Copper River, Mercy Falls, Devil's Bed and Blood Hollow (but not 3 others in the series) are available on Amazon now. The same books are available on Fictionwise.

So it's mixed...
Old 09-10-2008, 08:05 AM   #74
Laz116
Guru
Laz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry - what does having footnotes have to do with not being an eBook? All eBook formats support hyperlinks, which many eBooks use for footnotes (which in an eBook, are generally changed to endnotes).

I've created numerous eBook with endnotes.
It has to do with me being stupid and not thinking before writing.
Laz116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:44 PM   #75
MoSo
Crankier than average

Quote:
While I liked the book, I found two things: because of the footnotes (and the tiny type and the odd footnote type) that it was unreadable as a standard paperback, and that, even as a hardback with larger text, the multi-page footnotes were distracting. At first they were novel, fun and interesting, but I thought they'd have been better either included in the text or as end-notes in the chapter.

Tags
duck!, kindle, publisher, request books, sony