Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-31-2016, 05:25 PM   #61
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
just in case anyone thought I was serious, I wasn't.

Your post just provided me the opportunity to pretend to be hysterical about it and call for banning people (some sort of equivalent of book burnings for unworthy books?)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:49 PM   #62
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post

Your post just provided me the opportunity to pretend to be hysterical about it and call for banning people (some sort of equivalent of book burnings for unworthy books?)
There are some books I wouldn't want to burn for fear of airborne toxins.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2016, 06:34 PM   #63
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
There are some books I wouldn't want to burn for fear of airborne toxins.
I think I have seen you mention "those" books once or thrice in the past few days.

Easy -- we incinerate them in the closest star, just to be thorough.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:58 PM   #64
Jack Torrance
“Here’s Johnny
Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG - 9.7 iPad - iPhone 12PM - Macbook Pro
Quote:

I didn't think you were serious not did I expect anyone to take mine the same way.

But damn that book is riddled with errors. The funny thing is I probably only noticed it because of this thread.
Jack Torrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:03 PM   #65
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Torrance View Post
I didn't think you were serious not did I expect anyone to take mine the same way.
Well, you know the thing about disclaimers...

Quote:
But damn that book is riddled with errors. The funny thing is I probably only noticed it because of this thread.
Just be glad it isn't as bad as the ones Cinisajoy mentioned. I think you would probably notice gratuitous use of feces no matter what!
Advert
Old 01-31-2016, 07:40 PM   #66
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Torrance View Post

I think 3 errors in 12 pages is too many. At that rate there may be 80 errors in the entire book.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:45 PM   #67
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Burn 'em all; we'll still have eBooks!
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:05 PM   #68
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Burn 'em all; we'll still have eBooks!
Silly monkey! Equivalents are for ebooks...
Old 01-31-2016, 09:09 PM   #69
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I think 3 errors in 12 pages is too many. At that rate there may be 80 errors in the entire book.
Well, according to Amazon's latest--that is. If I already posted this here, mea culpa, but it's 1099 day, and I'm fried.

Quote:
Our Quality team uses a formula based on how many defects it contains out of the total allowable defects for a book of its length. Longer titles are allowed more defects than shorter ones because the overall impact is distributed. Note that “locations” below refers to the internal divisions of an ebook, not pages or chapters.

While we are not able to disclose this specific formula, please be informed that an average sized novel with around 3000 locations will trigger the quality warning with 10-15 typos.
I calculated 70k words = 3000 locations.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:10 AM   #70
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
So they're still allowing a lot of 'defects' Good thing I'm not in charge, I wouldn't let more than 3 in any book regardless of length...
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:30 AM   #71
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
So they're still allowing a lot of 'defects' Good thing I'm not in charge, I wouldn't let more than 3 in any book regardless of length...
Oh, c'mon. That's one typo in 5000-7000 words. That's a lot, but not too bad. I've certainly read tradpub books with more.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:22 AM   #72
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Oh, c'mon. That's one typo in 5000-7000 words. That's a lot, but not too bad. I've certainly read tradpub books with more.
So have I doesn't make it acceptable. 3 is my 'extreme irritation' threshold I don't care if it's indy or tradpub - typos just really, really annoy me.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:41 AM   #73
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Well, according to Amazon's latest--that is. If I already posted this here, mea culpa, but it's 1099 day, and I'm fried.

I calculated 70k words = 3000 locations.

Hitch
I think you miscalculated. I am coming up with 50k for 3000 locations. If that many.
Or was it 30k?
I actually did the math at one point and I think it worked out to approximately 100 words per location.
Note this is on self-published books.
If anyone is interested "The Hobbit has 4237 locations.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:28 PM   #74
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I think you miscalculated. I am coming up with 50k for 3000 locations. If that many.
Or was it 30k?
I actually did the math at one point and I think it worked out to approximately 100 words per location.
Note this is on self-published books.
If anyone is interested "The Hobbit has 4237 locations.
I pulled out a couple of our books, Cins, and those that are ~70K have 3000 locations. I don't know how to be more accurate than that. Not being argumentative--I just literally don't know. I'm absolutely open for other/better information.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:08 PM   #75
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I pulled out a couple of our books, Cins, and those that are ~70K have 3000 locations. I don't know how to be more accurate than that. Not being argumentative--I just literally don't know. I'm absolutely open for other/better information.

Hitch
Ok. Then you are accurate since you do have exact word counts. I just thought it looked a little high. It would be so nice if Amazon gave a word count for a location.
Atlas Shrugged which is around 645,000 words is 27682 locations.
That comes out to 23.3 words per location. So your math was spot on and mine was a bit off.