Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-16-2013, 06:40 PM   #61
Pete in Gisborne
Pete in Gisborne began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I must be doing something wrong, my Touch I've had for a year hasn't done anything amiss in all that time. I update it every time a new update comes out and it just keeps working. Use it several times every day but don't use wifi ,just load from Calibre.
My wifes Sony is the same, it just keeps working with no glitches.
Pete in Gisborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #62
slowfax
Connoisseur
slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.

Device: miflalmXD
I have a lot of different readers. For me the best and simplest reader is PocketBook 622 Touch. Easy to handle, highly customizable and no problem at all in about nine months. The support is great, at least in Germany (and in the German language section here in MR). Users have influence to the software development. PB reacts very fast and user-friedly, if there are any complaints or wishes.
I also had no technical problems at all with my Sony readers. I didn't ever need support, so I cannot say very much about supports quality. Software upgrades happen, but not very often.
Kobo is a pain in the a**. I know the Kobo Touch and the Glo. The software gets worse from upgrade to upgrade. The devices freeze and reboot on a regular basis. These are personal experiences with my Kobo devices. I can imagine, that there are also working Kobos on the market and that I just bought bad exemplars.
slowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2013, 03:01 PM   #63
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Don't have a Kobo so can't compare it, but my Kindle Keyboard has required 1 reboot in the 1-2 years I've had it and so far (6 months) my Sony PRS 350 has been trouble-free.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #64
Tacty
Zealot
Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One/Kobo Touch/iPad3
and yet kobo sell 12 millions of its eink readers in total... so go figure...
Tacty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:26 PM   #65
iCowboy
Enthusiast
iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I'm horribly disappointed in the Kobo Aura (and the previous Touch). In both cases I find the screen becomes unresponsive and a complete shut-down and restart is needed before it (briefly) comes back to life and can be used before crashing with the same fault. I probably have to restart it two or three times a day. And this is a regular reader, no hacks, no fancy firmware, just as Kobo shipped it with completely up-to-date software.

I've had two of each model, I've performed countless soft and hard resets of the readers and the bug persists. Kobo technical support just doesn't seem to be able to offer any real help. This seems to be a pretty fundamental problem for touch devices, but it isn't being fixed.

Unless Kobo can dramatically up the quality of their software for future devices I will reluctantly have to go and find an alternative reader. I didn't want to get a Kindle because of Amazon's lock-down, but it does seem to be a much better screwed together device.
iCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2014, 06:26 PM   #66
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I have only had 1 or 2 firmware versions that really caused any problems on my Kobo Touch first version. 3.2.0 is OK so far. It has more than 2,300 side loaded books on external SD card and a few Kobo books. Kobo Mini only problem can't by another in store will have to buy spare from Ebay.

It has been a long time ago that I had problem google book that I had to delete to stop a reader booting problem. Good luck finding the perfect device or computer that has no problems. My experience is it does not exsist.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:44 PM   #67
slate
Connoisseur
slate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura about

Device: N/A
Epic thread bump of 467 days.

You should really try for 730 days to be considered legendary!
slate is offline   Reply With Quote