Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-25-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Non-monomyth fantasy?

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for good fantasy novels/series which do not rely on the monomyth-style story.

Perhaps I just need to expand my horizons, but it seems all the fantasy I've read in the last 10 years (except Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell) falls into the basic Hero's Journey storyline; humble young person discovers great power and goes on to save the world.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
You know, the only fantasy series *I* can think of that meets your requirements is the one I'm working on now. Joe Abercrombie's "The First Law" series

The Blade Itself
Before They Are Hanged
Last Arguments of Kings

and the standalone novels

Best Served Cold
The Heroes

I'm a bit more than half way through Before They Are Hanged and I can tell you there is no humble young person in the whole series.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
There's lots of it out there. You just need to step away from epic/high fantasy if you want to run into it more often.

Try some works by Gaiman, Barker, Mieville, or maybe Felix Gilman or Anthony Huso. Guy Gavriel Kay, Greg Keyes, Tim Powers.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I like Simon R. Green and Glen Cook, but might not suit your taste.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:21 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

...forgot to add Charles de Lint.
Advert
Old 02-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #6
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i refuse to read about traditional 'heroes' anymore. i need my characters gritty.

there is 'epic' fantasy out there that doesn't involve snotnoses saving the world. off the top of my head-

The Conqueror's Shadow by Ari Marmell
The Half-Orcs by David Dalglish
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #7
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@jgaiser: Joe Abercrombie is on my To Be Read list, I'll have to bump him up to a higher priority.

@DiapDealer: Powers, Keyes, and Gaiman are all on my To Be Read list. I really liked Mieville's Perdido Street Station, and really disliked everything else he's written. I'm a huge Guy Gavriel Kay fan, odd that he slipped my mind. I've enjoyed some Charles de Lint. I'll have to look into the rest of those suggestions!

@speakingtohe: Glen Cook is on my To Be Read list, I'll have to look into Simon R. Green.

@xg4bx: I think I prefer my fantasy gritty, thanks I'll take a look at those.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:53 PM   #8
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Well, it has been said that there are only 5 basic plot lines in the history of story telling.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:10 PM   #9
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen. No hero's journey there (well, maybe one, kind of, in amongst a lot of other, much more interesting stuff). Not many clear-cut heroes at all, come to think of it.

Last edited by Belfaborac; 02-25-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #10
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen. No hero's journey there (well, maybe one, kind of, in amongst a lot of other, much more interesting stuff). Not many clear-cut heroes at all, come to think of it.
I was going to mention Malazan, but I hadn't read much of the series yet.

I like me some China Miéville, but I have a hard time putting him in the Epic Fantasy genre. He's sometimes considered to be part of the group of writers called New Weird.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser
I like me some China Miéville, but I have a hard time putting him in the Epic Fantasy genre.
I certainly didn't mean to lump him in with epic fantasy. I was trying to give suggestions outside the traditional epic/high fantasy subgenre... where the heroes quest still tends to dominate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx
i refuse to read about traditional 'heroes' anymore. i need my characters gritty.
I lean this way myself lately... but I'll still read just about anything that's written well. I'm not willing to entirely give up on whimsy just yet.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-25-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:38 PM   #12
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I certainly didn't mean to lump him in with epic fantasy. I was trying to give suggestions outside the traditional epic/high fantasy subgenre... where the heroes quest still tends to dominate.
Fair enough. I read the request from OP as looking for something different than boy hero fantasy. As I said, China is a good alternative to the standard fantasy novel.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Fair enough. I read the request from OP as looking for something different than boy hero fantasy. As I said, China is a good alternative to the standard fantasy novel.
We're apparently in agreement then. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:02 PM   #14
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Another vote for China Mièville from me. You can't get much further away from the stereotypes than his books.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:03 PM   #15
AndrewH
Fanatic

I wasn't thinking of epic fantasy, necessarily.

I'm in the middle of Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy and even though I'm enjoying it I can't help but be annoyed by yet another hero's journey tale.

To forestall the inevitable Game of Thrones recommendations, I've already read them.

To throw out a recommendation of my own, Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake.