Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Ebook (priced at $2.99+) - would you read a FREE ad-sponsored version:
Yes, I'm fine with ads 15 10.64%
Yes, only if ads are placed between chapters and/or at the beginning/end of the ebook 40 28.37%
No, I'd rather pay for the version without ads 86 60.99%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-21-2012, 06:46 PM   #31
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I could probably learn to ignore an ad that was one line at the top of the screen - just like I ignore the ads at the bottom of my home screen on my Kindle.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #32
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
There used to be ads for cigarettes in books, people just tore them out. But these ads didn't make the books free, they didn't reduce the price of the books at all. To make the book free, the ads would have to be so numerous that there would be little room for the book.

Books should be between the reader and the author.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #33
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
which discussion reminded me to turn off ads on my K3. I turned them on before Christmas to see what the fuss was about, but now they're never about anything that interests me.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:13 PM   #34
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
ad-free books would simply become the new cottage indusrty on pirate sites, even for a free book.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #35
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
If ads were unobtrusive and only placed in between chapters or at the beginning/end? Sure, I see no problem with that. Not any different from having to watch ads during a TV show.

However, I'd be pissed if I was in the middle of a chapter, turned the page and saw an ad pop up.

EDIT: Let me just clarify... I see no problem with that, if the book is free or drastically reduced in price. If I pay full price for a book there better be zero ads in it, other than maybe for other books in the series or by the same author, at the end of the book.
I gave up on TV when the Ad air time equalled or exceeded the program contend .
The horror: 30 minute (or longer) Infomercials
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2012, 07:32 PM   #36
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
While I think the poll itself is somewhat invalid, it does raise the interesting idea of :

Would an author/publisher offer both an ad powered version of books, as well as the full version?
At the moment I generally just pirate a book I'm considering purchasing, and based on the first few chapters, will buy it should it pass muster (or stop reading; or read on if it's not worth the asking price to me.). However should there be an ad-powered version accessible through the Kindle store (for example), that would mean that I'd save both my time and generally have a better 'try before buy'.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #37
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
I voted "Yes I'm fine with ads."

It sounds like the proposal would, for a reader with good library access, mean a choice between free-with-ads-right-away and getting in line for a no-ads library copy. My main concern would be the effect on public libraries.

If authors and publishers find that the ad-supported business model works for them, there's no fair way to stop them. But it would be one more challenge to the free library model in an already challenging environment.

In the real world, I think that any free ad-supported books will be ones that got few or bad reviews, so I probably wouldn't read them anyway.
SteveEisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #38
davidhburton
Addict
davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
Would an author/publisher offer both an ad powered version of books, as well as the full version?
This is along the lines of what I was thinking when I created the poll (and yes I know it's not very scientific.)

If you had the choice of the regularly priced ebook (priced $2.99-$9.99) or the free "ad-sponsored" version, would you download the free one or would you want to pay to keep the ads out.

For me, it would, of course, depend on price. The higher the price the more likely I would be to take the ad-sponsored version since I don't mind ads myself. They pervade everything, including Facebook and forums such as this, so I'm okay with them. I was curious what others' take is on this.
davidhburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:21 PM   #39
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
No how, no way. Would you pay for a DVD of a movie that had ads every 15 minutes? Heck, I don't even watch free movies with commercials, why would I pay to watch or read commercials?
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:40 PM   #40
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I'm used to ads in magazines and mostly don't even realize they are there - I just skip them. So I guess I would not mind ads in ebooks that much - placed in the beginning/end and maybe before chapters if the chapters are not 5 pages long. It would depend on how much ads there were and how much the book would cost without ads.

Can't stand ads in TV, though, but they tend to be loud and start all of a sudden, often spoiling scenes... But "quiet" ads that don't pop up I can ignore.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:21 PM   #41
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I don't think ad-supported ebooks are viable unless the books are very inexpensive to begin with and/or the ads are so numerous and/or intrusive as to be unacceptable both to the reader and author.

So the question is moot.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:13 PM   #42
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I gave up on TV when the Ad air time equalled or exceeded the program contend .
The horror: 30 minute (or longer) Infomercials
FMC is very good for a TV movie channel. They skip 2-3 commercial breaks each segment of movie, the screen just fades out for a second and then starts up again.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:32 AM   #43
AgentOrange
Coffee Monster
AgentOrange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AgentOrange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AgentOrange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AgentOrange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AgentOrange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPod Touch
I was actually talking about this with my roommate the other day before I even saw this! What a coincidence.

We have ads in T.V. shows, ads in online games and websites, some apps are entirely ad-supported, why not books? It would give people legitimate ways to be able to read for free (other than Gutenburg and those free indie books). As long as the ads are placed where they aren't too obtrusive, why not?
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:08 AM   #44
apbschmitz
Lord of Frogtown
apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm used to ignoring the ads in the New Yorker or any other magazine. Unlike TV ads, I don't feel they make any unavoidable demands on my time. Surely they lower the cover price. I don't see much difference with ads in eBooks, provided they lower the price sufficiently. The worst case, which I wouldn't altogether rule out, is the current price level with an increasing number of ads.
apbschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:42 AM   #45
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I do not listen to commercial radio at all. My MP3 player allows me to listen to the music I want to when I want to and it is ad free.
When I read a book I do not want to be interrupted in the middle of a scene because an ad popped up as I turned the page. when I read I see the action as if I am watching a movie. I do not want my reading to change to "as if I am watching TV. TV ads are loud and obnoxious. So as I said previously, I will not buy or even accept free, any book with advertising.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote