Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-19-2007, 09:14 AM   #1
SanAntone
Connoisseur
SanAntone began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and Scribe
Kindle wireless information

The Amazon Kindle website is up and it has detailed info on the Kindle along with a video.

Of note, no wireless bill! It comes prepaid and your newspapers and subscriptions are automatically downloaded.

Battery life with wireless on--2 days. Wireless off--7 days.

Free first chapter preview.
SanAntone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:15 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
But what is the wireless technology? EVDO, or something sensible?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2007, 09:16 AM   #3
SanAntone
Connoisseur

They are using EVDO.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:19 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sigh . What idiots. You'd think they'd learn from fiascos like the Palm VII what the perils of using proprietory wireless networks rather than international standards are.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:20 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The product page is up.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...393010-8448654
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2007, 09:21 AM   #6
SanAntone
Connoisseur

Amazon is stating that downloads of books will take less than a minute!
Old 11-19-2007, 09:24 AM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sigh . What idiots. You'd think they'd learn from fiascos like the Palm VII what the perils of using proprietory wireless networks rather than international standards are.
I agree. They have to replace the EVDO with something available outside the US.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:25 AM   #8
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
It *sounds* great ... let's hope they will add UMTS/GPRS-Support and start selling this device in Europe (oh, and please add a "free wifi-acccess" there, too! I love this idea!)
And pleasepleaseplease use a normal Mobi-Format. No special Kindle! I would like to read those kindle-books on other readers too ...
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:35 AM   #9
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
So do I have this correct?

If you buy an ebook from Amazon the only way to get it on your Kindle is by EVDO.
If you want to read an non-Amazon ebook on your Kindle the only way to do so is to email it in the form of a Word document (no other format is supported) to your email account.
If you want to buy an ebook from Amazon and read on your non-Kindle reader you are out of luck.

Please tell me I'm wrong.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:38 AM   #10
SanAntone
Connoisseur

Here are the formats supported:

Microsoft Word, HTML, TXT, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, PRC and MOBI files
Old 11-19-2007, 09:39 AM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
So do I have this correct?

If you buy an ebook from Amazon the only way to get it on your Kindle is by EVDO.
If you want to read an non-Amazon ebook on your Kindle the only way to do so is to email it in the form of a Word document (no other format is supported) to your email account.
If you want to buy an ebook from Amazon and read on your non-Kindle reader you are out of luck.

Please tell me I'm wrong.
The second one is wrong (according to the Kindle homepage). You can transfer books from your computer by USB or SD card.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:41 AM   #12
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Well, I just watched that demonstration vid:

Actually, the features look great...but:
The restriction to EVDO does not agree with me since we do not have that in Germany. If they sell it with GPRS/UMTS here and with not additional charges (like they do in the US) then it's OK. I would howevr like to be able to plug it into USB or transfer books to the SD card directly. I don't know whether that will work, but I guess it should.

What I did not like was the mention of the "small fee" that amazon charges if you send something to your Kindle email address...this needs some further research...

All in all, I'd love to have one of these (with GPRS/UMTS) because it looks like a very well thought-out and easy to handle device. Questions like alternate content delivery and Battery life will have to be answered though...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:51 AM   #13
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
The information says that each email costs $.10.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:52 AM   #14
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
You can enter an SD card. I do not know, if you need specially prepared files for the Kindle though.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:07 AM   #15
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
You can enter an SD card. I do not know, if you need specially prepared files for the Kindle though.
Well they are calling the $0.10 a "Conversion Fee".
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote