Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 11-04-2007, 10:23 AM   #1
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
Some freely available high quality fonts to use with the Cybook

For those of you who want more of a choice which font to use. I haven't tested these fonts with the Cybook as I don't have one yet, but I know that they are of high quality and the Cybook's DPI should be high enough to render them nicely:

URW fonts (especially Garamond No8 and URW Palladio [Palatino clone])
Bitstream Vera family (also suited for low resolutions)

Last edited by IceHand; 11-10-2007 at 03:33 PM.
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:47 PM   #2
rjnagle
Zealot
rjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it is

Device: ipad 1, Nook Simple Touch, Kindle 3, ebookwise 1150
This is an important issue. I as a book creator need to have an idea what files are typical on a Bookeen. Perhaps mobileread can put together a package zip of free fonts containing a good variety of fonts for general use. It's doubtful that people are going to want to download individual fonts depending on the book.
rjnagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2007, 10:27 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'd recommend the liberation fonts http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberation_fonts
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:58 AM   #4
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I'd recommend the liberation fonts http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberation_fonts
They work fine; I'm now using Liberation Sans, which is slightly thinner than the standard Verdana. I find sans serif fonts somewhat easier on the eyes on the Cybook than serif ones, but YMMV.

I did need to delete the font cache (system/font-cache-1 or something close to that) for the new fonts to show up, though. But again, YMMV; installing another font worked fine without doing that.
mbovenka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:04 PM   #5
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
I just found this:

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2007...sional-design/
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2007, 03:24 PM   #6
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Nice find, jbenny! Gentium, Cardo and Day Roman look very usable to me, I still prefer Garamond No8 though.

Here's another nice one (without an italic version though): Vollkorn
Does the Cybook support OpenType?

And: Linux Libertine

As soon as I have a Cybook (next month) I'll do some testing with various fonts.

Last edited by IceHand; 11-10-2007 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:36 PM   #7
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHand View Post
Nice find, jbenny! Gentium, Cardo and Day Roman look very usable to me, I still prefer Garamond No8 though.

Here's another nice one (without an italic version though): Vollkorn
Does the Cybook support OpenType?

And: Linux Libertine

As soon as I have a Cybook (next month) I'll do some testing with various fonts.
Some folks here have said that they used TrueType fonts. Someone with a Cybook will have to try OpenType and report back. Again, if the Cybook is going to support epub, they will have to support OpenType.
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 07:49 PM   #8
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenny View Post
Some folks here have said that they used TrueType fonts. Someone with a Cybook will have to try OpenType and report back.
OpenType fonts work fine. I have installed a number of them, and they all work.
mbovenka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 07:58 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The DejaVu fonts are based on the Bitstream Vera Fonts, but covers a larger number of languages. Its Unicode coverage is still far from complete though, Wikipedia: Unicode typefaces says that DejaVu has about 5,000 characters compared to about 39,000 in Arial Unicode MS.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:58 PM   #10
IceHand
Linux User

A very good alternative to Times: Lido STF (free for personal use, registration required)
Unfortunately, the line spacing on the Cybook is a bit too narrow for my taste with this font. Maybe this will be adjustable in the future.

EDIT: It is, kind of: How to change the line spacing of a font

Last edited by IceHand; 07-29-2008 at 06:31 AM.