Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-24-2011, 05:31 PM   #1
dave3040
dave3040 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
seeing Kindle in Windows 7

Your help guide and several threads say to be sure that Windows 7 sees my device as a disc drive. I can't figure out to make that happen. I have a 3G + Wi Fi Kindle. Any suggestions?
dave3040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Nothing special required for the Kindle - simply plug it in via USB.

You also need to make sure the Kindle Device Interface plugin has not been disabled, but it should not be unless you actively did that.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2011, 05:53 PM   #3
dave3040
dave3040 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I hope you can excuse the ignorance. I didn't see anything about a USB - I was trying to connect it wirelessly, somehow.

Thanks for the reply
dave3040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The reference to Disk Drives refers to USB connections - the way most readers are connected to transfer books. Historically most types of readers have not had wireless as an option.

You cannot connect the Kindle wirelessly directly to Calibre. What you CAN do via wireless is receive files that have been emailed by Calibre to the Kindle via Amazon. You can also use the browser on the Kindle to connect wirelessly to the Calibre Content Server to pull books from the Calibre library.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:22 AM   #5
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
^ Yes. Exactly right.

The wifi capabilities of the Kindle3 do not include actual networking functions on LANs or your home network - merely to allow for 'net access and those kind of functions.

That would be tres cool if it did - I would love to browse the file system of my K3 via wifi from my machines on my home network.

OR, since I am a noob here and with K3, is there actually a way to do this that I am not aware of?
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert