Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-29-2010, 01:05 PM   #1
setite
Enthusiast
setite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughing

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
After removing TTS...

So I bought a diet book for my kindle, from Amazon. It had a TTS block on it, so I removed that. I am being vague on that so I can stay within the guidelines.

After the book has been run through calibre to clean it of the TTS, does it contain any unique identifiers? I have a friend who I have been going to the gym with, who has the free sample of the book on his Kindle, but isn't willing to take the 10$ plunge yet. If I send him my TTS enabled copy, will Amazon know? I am 100% honest when I say that he will buy the book for himself if he likes it, but the sample is deliberately useless, just hype.

To be clear, my question is, when a book that is TTS disabled is run through the process to remove the TTS block, because who the hell thinks TTS is the same as a real audiobook, does anything incriminating remain in the final product. Thanks in advance
setite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:22 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
There are ways to enable TTS ONLY and ways to remove all restrictions(DRM).

It's unclear what method you've done... since you are intentionally being vague. However if it is the former then your friend will still not be able to listen to the book. If it is the latter then your friend will be able to listen/read to the book. Until your friend decides to purchase it.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 07:36 PM   #3
setite
Enthusiast
setite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughing

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
I did not know the former. I went over the guidelines so it looks like I can be less vague. I stripped the DRM from the book. I then imported the book into Calibre. The result was still TTS blocked so I had calibre do a MOBI to MOBI conversion that stripped the TTS block. Now this particular copy, and I am unsure if this is relevant, was downloaded using the Kindle for PC app, and the final product works on my Kindle 3. I am unsure if the actual file can be dragged and dropped as I don't know if the file is modified each time it's downloaded to a particular device, I would guess the DRM would have to be catered to the PID of each device.

My question is, is there any unique identifiers left, like a PID or something that would allow the file to trace back to me. I trust my friend completely, but his family has no boundaries. I can totally see them taking the book and doing lord knows what with it. If the final file has anything that leads back to me, I would probably be better off gifting him a DRM copy and teaching him to remove the TTS flags.
setite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:36 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I don't know the answer to that question. But I will say this, if it is a binary data can be embedded that is not eBook related (i.g Amazon can put whatever data they want in it.)

If you wanted to remove any trace, you would have to scrub the file clean as in convert the MOBI to text, then use calibre to create a MOBI file.

But I am going to take the haughty road here and say don't do it it's just wrong. If s/he is not willing to fork over the cash then don't both with him.

Now if you say your going to "lend" him the book when your done reading it, well you don't really trust your friend that much do you since you have reservations about him deleting the book when their done reading it...right?

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote