Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen > Gen3 Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-08-2009, 07:59 AM   #16
ztimar
Enthusiast
ztimar began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Of course I would try to install exactly the same type of RAM M12L128324a-7T
ztimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:01 AM   #17
ztimar
Enthusiast

Of course I would try to install exactly the same type of RAM M12L128324A-7T

The question is: do I know how much RAM I have - from the software?

Last edited by ztimar; 12-08-2009 at 08:13 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:51 AM   #18
rireed3
Connoisseur
rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook 1, Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztimar View Post

OK, you seem to know the part being used in your machine, and that there is a free pad for another part the same size.

I couldn't get to the images that were posted, so I don't know how much else you know. I think it's unlikely that the manufacturer implemented the control refresh hardware to the second pad, so you must become a printed-circuit-surface-mount-device engineer to figure out the new wiring and add the correct new control/refresh part(s) in addition to the memory part. This may also involve electrical parts like resistors that may be discrete or in packages of their own.

Further, if any of the control parts is some sort of masked circuit array, it get's very bad indeed. These are conglomerations of standard logic and timing circuits that the part manufacturer masks according to the machine manufacturer's spec. You need some pretty sharp oscilloscope work to come up with matching array specs so you can buy an array you can program.

Then you're left with what the firmware does with memory. If the above goes well, it's a good bet your mod will be recognised as more memory by the firmware, but not at all certain this will do you any good. If the machines don't use virtual memory, all this work will not make your machine any faster for any file. To find this out, try reading a 16 MB file of any sort -- you simply won't be able to read a 16 MB file if there is no software 'scrolling' or other virtual memory trick.

If you can read these big 16 MB files, and they are a lot slower than smaller files, more memory by the hard work described above would only double the size file you can read more quickly, not make smaller files of any sort any faster.

Richard
rireed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:04 AM   #19
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Ho by the way, the ram size can be hardcoded in the device firmware since it's impossible to dynamicaly detect RAM size with reliability... PC station use EEPROM to store memory card informations, that's how a PC detect new memory...
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:44 AM   #20
rireed3
Connoisseur
rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
Ho by the way, the ram size can be hardcoded in the device firmware since it's impossible to dynamicaly detect RAM size with reliability... PC station use EEPROM to store memory card informations, that's how a PC detect new memory...
The way this was done on eb100/eb600 depends on the manufacturer's intentions at the time the design of each board was final. It may well be that the startup ROM can detect the existence of either one or two devices and assign the size properly.

I think that's more likely than having ROM code that needs another change when the manufacturer decides to put on another memory chip.

Edit: What we really need is an insider at Netronix ;-)

Last edited by rireed3; 12-08-2009 at 11:52 AM. Reason: smart remark
Old 12-08-2009, 01:33 PM   #21
rireed3
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztimar View Post

Sorry, I had seen this answered by Godzil further up.

The SDRAM part you mentioned has 128 Mbits, or 16 MBytes, although the chip organisation is in 32-bit words, each one equivalent to 4 bytes. Already you can see how the overal design isn't necessarily straightforward.

Richard

Last edited by rireed3; 12-08-2009 at 01:41 PM. Reason: clarification of technical detail
Old 12-08-2009, 04:46 PM   #22
ztimar
Enthusiast

Thank you for all the comments, I think you're right...
Maybe I need a faster CPU?