Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Did you receive a defective Kindle 2?
No, mine functions perfectly. 90 67.67%
Yes, I've had Amazon replace it. 17 12.78%
Yes, I've had Amazon replace more than one. 5 3.76%
Yes, but I'm keeping it as is. 0 0%
I don't own one but I'd still order one. 8 6.02%
I don't own one but now wouldn't want one. 13 9.77%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2009, 12:45 PM   #1
moxy789
moxy789 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Unhappy Did you receive a defective Kindle 2?

While Amazon Customer Service is great, I wish I didn't know that from experience. I'm currently awaiting my 3rd Kindle 2, since my first 2 were defective.

The several other reports of defective Kindle 2's make me seriously question the reliability of Amazon's product and my sanity for still desiring one. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. If the one I receive on Monday isn't up to par, I'll probably scratch the idea of a Kindle all together and hold on to my money until something more reliable comes around.

Anyways, I'm curious as to how many other new Kindle 2 owners have received defects. If it's happened to me twice, I'm wondering how high the percentage is. And to those owners out there with perfectly functioning Kindle 2's congrats!
moxy789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:46 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
What were your issues?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:56 PM   #3
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
If 1 out of 100 Kindle 2s are defective, then it's expected that 1 out of 10,000 customers get 2 defective Kindle 2s. If they sold 100,000 - 500,000 Kindle 2s so far, it's not surprising that a small population of customers with multiple defective Kindle 2s exist.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:59 PM   #4
moxy789
moxy789 began at the beginning.

The volume rocker didn't work correctly on my first one. I couldn't press the increase volume button.

On the replacement, the buttons on the right side are misaligned. The next page button doesn't actually sit flush with the surface of the device. The menu/back button is loose so that even when I just lightly place my finger on the outer edge of the button it gives and the device squeaks. The right side of the device just doesn't appear to be secured properly.
moxy789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:12 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Someone else had a problem with the volume rocker button. I've heard of some having squeaking issues. This is the first mis-aligned button issue I've read (doesn't mean you're the only one).

I've no issues with either K1 or K2 (so far). Sorry you're having a run of bad luck.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 02:08 PM   #6
demoric
Kindle 2 User
demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Mine was fine when I received it. Volume controls were good and all buttons behave like they should.
demoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 02:34 PM   #7
nelamvr6
Zealot
nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Oasis 2 (2017)
Mine was perfect. Haven't had issue number 1.
nelamvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 02:44 PM   #8
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Mine is only a few days old, but so far no problems.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:10 PM   #9
KindleKat
Connoisseur
KindleKat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Everything seems to be find here. I wonder if this is a widespread problem? hope not.
KindleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:28 PM   #10
Pruitt
Pruitt began at the beginning.

Mine arrived with no issues at all. 10 days later, all is still well.
Pruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:22 PM   #11
misstexas2
misstexas2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, HP Touchpad
I'm still waiting for my replacement, but mine came with a slight bulge on the plastic just outside the screen (diagonal left lower corner) I wasn't going to send it back for that except I noticed while reading in the car out in the sunlight that it was not just a bulge, but also has two hairline cracks. Everything else works perfectly though, all the buttons aligned just right and no squeaking. I hope my next one doesn't have any of those problems that I've been reading about.
misstexas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:23 PM   #12
jeremy81
Enthusiast
jeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire & Kindle 3
The wireless was defective in my first one. I live in a small town that didn't have Kindle 1 coverage so I initially thought that perhaps they got the new coverage map wrong. But Amazon sent me a replacement and it now works great. I couldn't be happier.
jeremy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 06:12 PM   #13
Rontonio
Rontonio began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
When I am reading in the direct sun, the screen fades rather rapidly, within 10 seconds. Afterwards, even after a refresh the printing is still dim and broken, like an inkjet printer that's low on ink. After the device is indoors for 5 minutes everything returns to normal. Amazon is sending a replacement, and they claim they haven't heard of the problem.
Rontonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 06:26 PM   #14
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
No problems with mine, had mine since the 24th.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 06:36 PM   #15
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rontonio View Post
When I am reading in the direct sun, the screen fades rather rapidly, within 10 seconds. Afterwards, even after a refresh the printing is still dim and broken, like an inkjet printer that's low on ink. After the device is indoors for 5 minutes everything returns to normal. Amazon is sending a replacement, and they claim they haven't heard of the problem.
They're lying or just misinformed; a small number of people have had this problem. Probably more than know, since most people don't read in direct sunlight.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote