Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-18-2014, 08:56 PM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Wattpad Anyone?

I've been hearing a lot about Wattpad but had to watch a video to work out what the site actually does. Seems to be a Facebook-for-Writers...where aspiring authors upload novels, stories, fan-fic for free and others comment upon it. You can even do the Dickensian thing of 'publishing' a chapter at a time and receive comments from readers which may even change the course of the writing.

You don't receive a penny for your work, just exposure.

I imagine there's a lot of dross on the site and that it's hard to find a good author participating.

Has anyone here used the site? What were your experiences?
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:44 AM   #2
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
I've signed up, but haven't actually gotten as far as uploading a story yet, or really digging into it.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:05 AM   #3
TCSimpson
Fantasy Author
TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post

I imagine there's a lot of dross on the site and that it's hard to find a good author participating.

Has anyone here used the site? What were your experiences?
Brandon Sanderson and a few other authors are on there. I'm on there, although I'm a nobody in terms of being an author. Lots of others I know who sell well are on there, BUT, Wattpad doesn't necessarily translate into sales or at least sales that can be tracked. It's more of a thing where more exposure is better than none. A lot of the folks on there are actual readers, although it is my belief that the vast majority stick with free content rather than pay.

As for my experience, my free book has some 320k views or so. Some comments have some insight, others are not. I have had a couple readers ask where they could find the rest of my series.
TCSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 07:31 AM   #4
KenMagee
Connoisseur
KenMagee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KenMagee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KenMagee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KenMagee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KenMagee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KenMagee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KenMagee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KenMagee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KenMagee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KenMagee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KenMagee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
I posted the first book of my trilogy. I've had about 450K reads and a number of the readers went on to purchase other books in the series.

I like Wattpad, but it's no shortcut to being discovered.
KenMagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:01 PM   #5
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I'm trying it out. The site design is slick (although not entirely debugged). I kinda like the idea of a legal, centralized repository for free fiction. And the social aspect ought to help readers find the stuff they want.

As to dross - from my perspective, most of the books in your average bookstore fit that category. (Not because they're badly written, but because they're not what I currently want to read.) That doesn't seem to keep me from walking out with a good book.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:10 AM   #6
Jane Oldaker
Groupie
Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung G3 Tablet, Kobo Vox
Wattpad is heavily populated by teenagers. There are adults there too, as well as some established writers, but younger people do seem to predominate.
Jane Oldaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wattpad