Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-11-2014, 06:21 PM   #1
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
CBC Booklist

Twice a year the CBC Cross Canada Checkup radio show does a call in program on book recommendations. I enjoy listening to these and how passionate the people are about the books. I typically find one or two books that I've never heard of or that are in a genre that I normally wouldn't read.

This year the CBC had compiled a list of 100 books that should make you proud to be a Canadian.
http://www.cbc.ca/books/books100.html

... so the show was about what books should have been on the list. There are really some great books on the list and I don't know how many made it to other countries. I thought some on this forum might be interested.

Here's the link to the list and there's a link to a MP3 download of the program:
http://www.cbc.ca/checkup/book-lists...mer-book-list/
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:53 AM   #2
JohnRR
Connoisseur
JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Thanks Barcey. Will download some samples to try them. Some of the titles interest me.
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:12 AM   #3
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
I just went through the list. I'm not sure why exactly, but I always love these lists and love being critical of them. I've read all but 18 of the books listed and of those I likely will read 4 or 5 that I've wanted to.

Like always there are some books that I don't believe deserve to be on the list and a few missing that have truly made me proud to be Canadian. But, for the most part this is a really great list IMHO.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:31 AM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I think Robertson Davies is underrepresented with only one novel. And where's Donald Jack?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:21 PM   #5
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I think Robertson Davies is underrepresented with only one novel. And where's Donald Jack?
I agree. And it's always Fifth Business that makes the list; a good book, but not even my favourite Depthford novel. For me What's Bred in the Bone is the best of Davies.
Donald Jack never seems to make these lists. He'll need a Canada Reads nomination to bring him back into people's consciousness.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:40 PM   #6
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

They apparently made a decision to only list one book per author and then had an internal debate on which book would best represent their work.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:43 PM   #7
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
They apparently made a decision to only list one book per author and then had an internal debate on which book would best represent their work.
That would have been fine, but Atwood and Boyden have two each - and I think Davies is at least as deserving as Atwood and even more so than Boyden.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:48 PM   #8
Barcey
Wizard

Quote:
That would have been fine, but Atwood and Boyden have two each - and I think Davies is at least as deserving as Atwood and even more so than Boyden.

Interesting, I didn't check. They had one of the people that developed the list on the radio program and I was going by what I recall her saying.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:50 PM   #9
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Hear, hear!
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:08 PM   #10
Barcey
Wizard

Quote:

They asked Nick Mount (English Department UoT) who has fallen out of favour recently and he replied Robertson Davies. That shocked me but he went on to say that the current generation find his writing old fashioned and he wrote old fashioned even for his time. I loved his writing and it was because of that style. I guess the new generation doesn't agree.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:11 AM   #11
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've only read eight, but my citizenship is under review.

There are lots of books and writers on my potential read list in this list, but I just never seem to get to them.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:39 AM   #12
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Interesting, there were lots of authors on there (even ones I've read) that I didn't know were Canadian. Thanks for sharing!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote